How many scholarships left?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

One? Two? I don't think we've seen this many committed before signing day ever
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

On the WyoNation recruiting tracker, we've got 25 guys. Don't know if they're all scholarship players, or how Dawson gets counted, though.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

joshvanklomp wrote:On the WyoNation recruiting tracker, we've got 25 guys. Don't know if they're all scholarship players, or how Dawson gets counted, though.
Everyone listed is scholarship, we'll have something about the walk-ons after signing day.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Dawson doesn't count against our scholarships until 2018.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

So we've got one more to give away, correct?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:So we've got one more to give away, correct?
Yes, I believe so. The question is, do we sign another player or give a scholarship to a walk-on who has been contributing?

The way I understand it, here's the limits set by the NCAA:

85 total players on scholarship - Not sure what we're at...
25 new scholarship players/year - We're at 24 if the recruiting tracker is correct since Theo Dawson isn't joining the team until 2018
28 National Letters of Intent signed/year - We're at 25 (24 incoming recruits + Theo)
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote:Dawson doesn't count against our scholarships until 2018.
Then how do you interpret this article from BYU...

It is also made more complicated by the NCAA’s new rule restricting schools to just 25 signees per year. This rule came about because many SEC schools over-signed, then withdrew offers on signing day or used the 29 or 30 signees as a buffer when they had players flunk out or get kicked off the team for discipline issues.

An unintended side effect of this rule puts BYU in a bind because the school is used to over-signing to accommodate athlete choices of missionary service. It poses a big challenge for Mendenhall, especially for the 2015 recruiting class when a small army of missionary athletes will return to campus.

Generally, where BYU used to sign 23 to 27 recruits and have six to seven go immediately on missions, it is now expected BYU will sign 25 and have eight to 10 go immediately on missions and another one to three go after a year of school.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... -room.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My understanding of the rule is that Dawson counts towards the class of 25, but won't count toward the 85 until he steps foot on campus.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

There's one recruit UW is waiting to hear back on. He has an offer, ball's in his court.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote:There's one recruit UW is waiting to hear back on. He has an offer, ball's in his court.
Schooler? aka Wingard's lost brother?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:There's one recruit UW is waiting to hear back on. He has an offer, ball's in his court.
Schooler? aka Wingard's lost brother?
Now that's funny
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Bohl "won" several recruits over rival schools in the last 2 years. Also I like the balance of this years class. Another stud D Lineman would make me happy. Looking forward to some football! :thumb:
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Well, now that the DT flipped to UNLV (poor choice) we have another. So two more.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Dang it, he looked like a good one too. I was wanting more d line depth not less! Oh well a spot opened up, I hope we come out smelling like a rose with a late pick up.... Or two.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Is the kid from Pueblo gonna be on scholly?
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

PokeOLoco wrote:Is the kid from Pueblo gonna be on scholly?
the Zach kid?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Dang! The d line / position I thought we needed the most, lost 2 good kids in the last 24 hours. Ef around!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Fullback41 wrote:Dang! The d line / position I thought we needed the most, lost 2 good kids in the last 24 hours. Ef around!
Make it 3 in the last week with the kid switching to Tulsa. Can we look at a JC man or two yet?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

David's hurt
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
Fullback41 wrote:Dang! The d line / position I thought we needed the most, lost 2 good kids in the last 24 hours. Ef around!
Make it 3 in the last week with the kid switching to Tulsa. Can we look at a JC man or two yet?
Damn, that's right! Seems like forever ago right now. 3 in a week. Let's go get some Juco studs and regroup next year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

It's always good to hang on to 1 or maybe 2 scholarships after signing day. Inevitably there is someone that falls through the cracks and can be a solid pickup for someone that still has a spot to give. Be it a guy that couldn't sign because another school oversigned, or maybe a guy that was injured and receiving little to no interest.