I know this has been mentioned before...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

and perhaps I'll be in the minority here with what I'm about to write. I'm sick of the excuses from some of our fan base whenever we lose out on a recruit to another school and the string of endless apologies from some of our fan base here, explaining away that; 'well, after all, it is INSERT SCHOOL that he is going to so how could we blame him?' This doesn't cut it with me and I'm beyond tired of reading this rubbish here with seeming regularity.

Look it, I want every kid we go after to come to Laramie, conceding of course that this is unrealistic. And when we lose a kid like this TE today who leaves us at the alter after all this time of saying he was coming here...if this doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth then I question how legitimate your passion is for the brown & gold.

The kid from Cheyenne last year decides to go to Washington and many who posted after that decision 'understood' his choice. Well, I for one, did not then, and I don't now. That kid is dead to me. Do I wish him ill-will? Hardly, but if you're not with us you're against us as far as I'm concerned.

The kid from Jackson who just joined us, this is the kind of a kid I can get behind...as well as anyone who makes the choice to suit up with the bucking bronco on the side of the helmet.

This crap about us having to be realistic about some of these decisions nauseates me. The only way we're going to build a program and sustain it with winning season after winning season is if kids choose to come here because they perceive us as a great opportunity and they want to become a part of something special.

This TE could have come here and made a direct and immediate impact in all likelihood. Instead, he chose to go to Nebraska his 'dream school'. Terrific, and I believe he'll get lost in the shuffle and just become another spoke on the Big Red wheel when all is said and done.

I believe we are a great destination, with a surging program, even though the cosmetics of this cannot yet be seen.

I'm just sick of the excuse making as if we're simply an afterthought and a school fortunate to get whomever we can.

Pokes forever.

No apologies.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

DINO, do you think it is realistic to assume WYO has a legitimate chance to ever reach the playoff (assuming of course the system stays the same)?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:DINO, do you think it is realistic to assume WYO has a legitimate chance to ever reach the playoff (assuming of course the system stays the same)?
Or that we can call a 2-10 team "surging?"
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:DINO, do you think it is realistic to assume WYO has a legitimate chance to ever reach the playoff (assuming of course the system stays the same)?
The scenario would have to be a once in a hundred year perfect storm scenario. Playing for all the marbles so far as being a National Champion isn't what its about to me. It's about becoming a part of something, and building something of significance. It's about winning our conference, and anything after that is gravy. Its about building something where people across the country look at our school with a sense of envy, wondering how they do it year after year. Never do I think about the day we can play for the National Championship. Instead I'm obsessed with climbing to the top of The MWC...and staying there.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Assuming we have Stannard as DC, and Vigen as both OC / QB coach you mean? I don't believe that OC/DC leadership combination screams "MWC CHAMPIONS" even.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote:
Or that we can call a 2-10 team "surging?"
You must have read my post employing the Evelyn Woods speed reading system. I noted that the cosmetics of that surging program are not yet evident. However, you did reveal yourself as the kind of a fan I'm referring to.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
Assuming we have Stannard as DC, and Vigen as both OC / QB coach you mean? I don't believe that OC/DC leadership combination screams "MWC CHAMPIONS" even.

Amazing...simply amazing.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Yabadabadoo wrote:
The scenario would have to be a once in a hundred year perfect storm scenario. Playing for all the marbles so far as being a National Champion isn't what its about to me. It's about becoming a part of something, and building something of significance. It's about winning our conference, and anything after that is gravy. Its about building something where people across the country look at our school with a sense of envy, wondering how they do it year after year. Never do I think about the day we can play for the National Championship. Instead I'm obsessed with climbing to the top of The MWC...and staying there.
What I'm getting at DINO, is that there is an effective division of FBS into an upper and lower division. We are in the lower. Just as we assume we would win most recruiting battles against FCS, that same logic has to be applied to the 2 divisions in FBS even if those 2 divisions aren't officially described in the NCAA rule book.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
What I'm getting at DINO, is that there is an effective division of FBS into an upper and lower division. We are in the lower. Just as we assume we would win most recruiting battles against FCS, that same logic has to be applied to the 2 divisions in FBS even if those 2 divisions aren't officially described in the NCAA rule book.
I get all that, what disgusts me is the excuse making and the apologies of too many here for losing a recruit such as this TE, or the kid from Cheyenne last year.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
I get all that, what disgusts me is the excuse making and the apologies of too many here for losing a recruit such as this TE, or the kid from Cheyenne last year.
I hate losing recruiting battles to the likes of UNLV or any other G5 team.

Losing them to the P5, well, it is what it is. I can't begrudge someone for wanting to play in the highest level in the land. It has nothing to do with WYO but the damn label the cartel has imposed on us which defames our and every other G5 team's brand.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
I hate losing recruiting battles to the likes of UNLV or any other G5 team.

Losing them to the P5, well, it is what it is. I can't begrudge someone for wanting to play in the highest level in the land. It has nothing to do with WYO but the damn label the cartel has imposed on us which defames our and every other G5 team's brand.
I consider you a good fan, RTJ1, and I enjoy reading your posts. You are certainly much more pragmatic than myself, as I am hopelessly emotional with this stuff, sometimes to a fault.

All that said, I get back to my initial points. I'll never apologize for our school offering a scholarship to a kid when that kid then rebuffs us and goes someplace else. I'll always feel we're the better place to be.
Hampshire
Ranch Hand

Tbh this right here is why if I was a recruit I would be very happy to leave this program, if a kids gets a better offer you people should be happt for the kid actually, and know this team could be on the right track if a few other details here with the program could be cleaned up ( which I'm not going into details, they have already been discussed here) but dam just so you know acting like a little baby on here is so embarrassing and gets old fast .
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Hampshire wrote:Tbh this right here is why if I was a recruit I would be very happy to leave this program, if a kids gets a better offer you people should be happt for the kid actually, and know this team could be on the right track if a few other details here with the program could be cleaned up ( which I'm not going into details, they have already been discussed here) but dam just so you know acting like a little baby on here is so embarrassing and gets old fast .
I stand corrected, my defense of our school, our team, and our great state...never again. By the way, I'd love to be the fly on the wall watching you recruit a kid for Wyoming on one hand, while whispering in the kid's ear that the other school would probably be better for him.

Come to think of it, I feel that Brian Hill should announce tomorrow that he's transferring to Alabama, sit out this season, come back next year, run all the way to the title game, and become a 1st round NFL pick.
Last edited by Yabadabadoo on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Big difference between the "TE" and the Cheyenne kid. Tevis never committed to UW or really even lead people to believe Wyoming was really likely.

it doesn't mean you support the Cowboys more or less to understand or not understand losing recruits to PAC 12 schools or to other power 5 conferences. You can hate those players for those decisions and yes the Nebraska kid did his in an asshole way so deserves hate, even though it was prob the right thing for his family, friends, and himself. He wasn't going to be a stud here but get lost there. If he can play he can play. Maybe played earlier if at Wyoming but a "star" at Wyoming is a guy that can be an impact player at Nebraska as well.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Yabadabadoo wrote:and perhaps I'll be in the minority here with what I'm about to write. I'm sick of the excuses from some of our fan base whenever we lose out on a recruit to another school and the string of endless apologies from some of our fan base here, explaining away that; 'well, after all, it is INSERT SCHOOL that he is going to so how could we blame him?' This doesn't cut it with me and I'm beyond tired of reading this rubbish here with seeming regularity.

I'm just sick of the excuse making as if we're simply an afterthought and a school fortunate to get whomever we can.
Go on a journey with me. Let's say you were a radio show host. It's a good gig, but hardly the best available. A company like...let's just call it SiriusXM...comes calling. What do you do? Do you spurn the smaller gig for greener pastures at a national brand? Or do you stay loyal to the company that gave you a chance to begin with?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Big difference between the "TE" and the Cheyenne kid. Tevis never committed to UW or really even lead people to believe Wyoming was really likely.

it doesn't mean you support the Cowboys more or less to understand or not understand losing recruits to PAC 12 schools or to other power 5 conferences. You can hate those players for those decisions and yes the Nebraska kid did his in an asshole way so deserves hate, even though it was prob the right thing for his family, friends, and himself. He wasn't going to be a stud here but get lost there. If he can play he can play. Maybe played earlier if at Wyoming but a "star" at Wyoming is a guy that can be an impact player at Nebraska as well.
Okay, fair enough. Then this works both ways and you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

From this point forward, I suggest limited criticism of Coach Bohl, or any future coach at Wyoming, based upon the fact that they are obviously dealt the poop hand of having to make a world class 7 course meal with nothing but 3-day old leftovers. After all, based on what 'reality' ought to suggest, we can only climb so far with the meager samplings being offered up to play football in Laramie, Wyoming.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I'm sure delusional FCS fans get butthurt when a recruit chooses FBS Wyoming over their school as well. It's called being realistic. Wyoming is at a higher level than most FCS schools just like Nebraska and Washington are at a higher level than Wyoming.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:and perhaps I'll be in the minority here with what I'm about to write. I'm sick of the excuses from some of our fan base whenever we lose out on a recruit to another school and the string of endless apologies from some of our fan base here, explaining away that; 'well, after all, it is INSERT SCHOOL that he is going to so how could we blame him?' This doesn't cut it with me and I'm beyond tired of reading this rubbish here with seeming regularity.

Go on a journey with me. Let's say you were a radio show host. It's a good gig, but hardly the best available. A company like...let's just call it SiriusXM...comes calling. What do you do? Do you spurn the smaller gig for greener pastures at a national brand? Or do you stay loyal to the company that gave you a chance to begin with?
That clearly depends on your own personal objective and what you see for yourself, what you want for yourself, and where you want to go.

As a former host with SXM for 5 years, I can tell you that there were advantages to working with them and performing on a national stage each day, and then again, there were drawbacks to the role as well. Local, and or, regional, radio, offers some advantages that a national orientation does not. In addition, you are referring to a paid scenario with your analogy, an element not existent with where a kid goes to play college football.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

I am getting to the point that I hope the big 64 leave the rest of us so we can play real college football. Strip their tax exempt status, direct the taxes off of their cartel to actual schools that want to exemplify the notion of a true student athlete...and put an end to the facade that we are or ever will be in the same league. Let them pound each other into pieces as a junior league to the NFL, which they are now...but formalize it and let them kill each other, both on the field and as a function of their greed. Give them what they want...they are going to take it anyway. Burman has to defend an athletics budget that will never be big enough to allow us to compete year in and year out...leaving the people of this state to debate whether we have athletics or not. Between inept leadership at UW and actual and perceived lack of performance on and off the field, many outside of Cheyenne and Laramie resent the hell out of UW...and that will only get worse. We are heading into fairly ugly times, and the ability to hold this funding going forward will only get tougher and tougher.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

While we are at it, let's just do away with the worthless organization called the ncaa.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.