Recruiting Rankings: Interesting case study

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I know all the bravado of paper this and paper that, recruiting stars don't play on Saturdays, stars don't mean squat, yadda, yadda, yadda. For those that strictly adhere to this philosophy, please hit your back button now or the Cowboy and MWC Football link at the top.

For everyone else, the MWC has an interesting case study setting up for recruiting rankings in the G5 ranks. We have what is a highly regarded coaching hire and is thought to both have an eye for diamonds in the rough along with the ability to coach them up. Our recruiting class rankings (in the MWC) have been and continue to be in the lower end of the MWC.

On the other side, there is another struggling program who hired a new coach 1 year before Bohl arrived at WYO. SJSU for the past 3 years has had upper end (in the MWC) recruiting class rankings.

If recruiting rankings mean anything, SJSU should start making major leaps forward beginning next season while we continue to struggle.

TO THE FANBOYS: I'M NOT BASHING BOHL, OUR RECRUITS, OR ANYTHING ELSE. NOR AM I PREDICTING CONTINUED FUTILITY BECAUSE OF OUR RECRUITING RANKINGS. I'M SIMPLY POINTING OUT SOMETHING THAT WILL BE INTERESTING TO WATCH OVER THE COMING SEASONS.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Uh, I don't think anyone is arguing that recruiting ranking don't correlate with success. Of course they do. There are individual exceptions, of course, but for the most part there's a strong correlation between stars and wins.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:Uh, I don't think anyone is arguing that recruiting ranking don't correlate with success.
You'd be surprised :whistle:

I do think that the recruiting rankings in general are a little less reliable for the G5 ranks (a lot fewer 3+ star kids), which is why I think the SJSU-WY comparison will be so interesting.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Uh, I don't think anyone is arguing that recruiting ranking don't correlate with success.
You'd be surprised :whistle:

I do think that the recruiting rankings in general are a little less reliable for the G5 ranks (a lot fewer 3+ star kids), which is why I think the SJSU-WY comparison will be so interesting.
I agree. I'd expect SJSU to rise in the coming years. As for us we really just have to pray Bohl and staff can evaluate talent better than the rest of the MWC and find diamonds at an unprecedented rate.

Our current class doesn't have a lot of stars, but they have good size. One thing that shocked me is how tiny we seemed last year. Hopefully this class will help with that.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

At least we have a 3 Star Kicker instead of a walk on... ;)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

kansasCowboy wrote:At least we have a 3 Star Kicker instead of a walk on... ;)
As much as we all make fun of kickers, last year showed me what a vital, vital position it is. I'm thrilled we have a scholarship kicker again.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:At least we have a 3 Star Kicker instead of a walk on... ;)
As much as we all make fun of kickers, last year showed me what a vital, vital position it is. I'm thrilled we have a scholarship kicker again.
No doubt! So glad we signed a kicker and also stoked that he is from the region--should at least be familiar with kicking in this type of climate.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

For anyone who has been following the NFL draft this year...

Carson Wentz is a guy that Bohl and Vigen both recruited to NDSU. He only started 2 years and is now regarded as a top 2 QB of the class. Nobody recruited him out of high school.

NDSU also has a LT who may be drafted within the top 3 rounds. Time will tell, but I believe Brian Hill will be a high draft pick when he decides to play pro ball.

Imagine if we could have had good enough players to redshirt a player like Andrew Wingard to get bigger before we put them out on the field. Better years are ahead of us. The QB play is going to be something completely different from last year, going forward with Allen and Garrett after we get to redshirt him.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

P.S. Does anyone remember how good Steve Fairchild's recruiting classes were?

I believe that should be your litmus test for this post.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

If recruiting rankings mean anything, then SJSU should rise to the top of the MWC and Air Force (last year's mountain division winner) will fall to the basement never to rise again.

Of course there is correlation, but ranking are extremely subjective. Coaching will have more of a factor when teams have a full compliment of players.

It should be interesting to see what transpires.....my money is on Brown and Gold.

Go Pokes!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Service academies are always outliers and are unique situations.

For Fairchild, I think he was somewhere around 5th usually in recruiting rankings in MWC.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

dapokes wrote:For anyone who has been following the NFL draft this year...

Carson Wentz is a guy that Bohl and Vigen both recruited to NDSU. He only started 2 years and is now regarded as a top 2 QB of the class. Nobody recruited him out of high school.

NDSU also has a LT who may be drafted within the top 3 rounds. Time will tell, but I believe Brian Hill will be a high draft pick when he decides to play pro ball.
Other players Bohl recruited and were drafted to the NFL:
Kyle Emanuel 5th round
Billy Turner 3rd round
Joe Mays 6th round
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Of course the rankings aren't meaningless. But they aren't everything either. Rankings don't determine how good or bad the player will be. Finishing high in the recruiting rankings doesn't make you a great coach just like finishing low doesn't make you a bad coach.

Stars are meaningless once the players step foot on campus. It's about the work the players put in on the football field from then.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo