Anybody see our prick neighbor to the south & their LOI's?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

11 3 - Star
14 2 - Star

9 of which are JC transfer kids

Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

*Side note - was surprised by HS HC Dirty Sanchez & his UNLV class as well. WTF.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:11 3 - Star
14 2 - Star

*Side note - was surprised by HS HC Dirty Sanchez & his UNLV class as well. WTF.
The biggest thing to me in bringing in 9 JUCO kids. I know this board has different opinions on JUCO kids, but I personally envision them as a quick fix instead of building for the long haul. Seem like he is trying to patch some holes, win now, and get out of that stink hole that is Fort Collins.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Definitely. Here are the past few years' rankings:
1. BSU
2. CSU
3. UNLV
4. SDSU
5. SJSU

1. BSU
2. SJSU
3. SDSU
4. USU
5. SJSU

1. BSU
2. SDSU
3. FSU
4. UNV
5. SJSU

1. BSU
2. SDSU
3. FSU
4. HI
5. CSU

1. BSU
2. SDSU
3. NV
4. HI
5. AF

1. BSU
2. CSU
3. SDSU
4. UNM
5. HI

Kind of interesting. Clear trend with BSU and SDSU. USU has been decent in that stretch but not ranked T5 recruiting. If recruiting rankings mean anything, HI could be a sleeper this year (2011 red-shirts are Seniors and then 2 fairly strong classes---I have no idea if those classes stuck around).

SJSU should be on the rise in the coming season or the following.

Who knows?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
14 2 - Star

The biggest thing to me in bringing in 9 JUCO kids. I know this board has different opinions on JUCO kids, but I personally envision them as a quick fix instead of building for the long haul. Seem like he is trying to patch some holes, win now, and get out of that stink hole that is Fort Collins.
Agree - 9 is overkill IMO - and there really is no guarantee they will pan out. 3 or 4 though, is just plain smart planning I believe. No reason the JC kids cannot be redshirted as well, like both the lineman from the NM Academy that Dickface brought in.

I also thought - if he is really trying to get out and essentially get promoted, that is not a bad problem for CSewe to have. He would have won (like their last coach), and been promoted. Who wouldn't want that fast-track, if that is what ends up happening. CSewe could be the next proving ground for assistant (OC/DC) P5 FBS coaches, that want to become P5 FBS head coaches. Not a bad thing by any means.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

14 2 - Star

Wonder if those 9 JC transfers were 2/3 stars when they went JC. Or did they turn into that after a couple of years of coaching? If so, then they are probably not much different than a regular no-star freshman recruit after two years of coaching.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Wonder if those 9 JC transfers were 2/3 stars when they went JC. Or did they turn into that after a couple of years of coaching? If so, then they are probably not much different than a regular no-star freshman recruit after two years of coaching.
I disagree. Certainly some "no star" kids turn into 2 or 3 star kids after time in JC. It may be coaching. More likely they were overlooked or had academic or other issues.

However, the vast majority of no star JUCO kids remain no star kids with careers ending at JUCO or below FBS.

Fill a roster with no star kids and coach them for 2 years. Pit that group against 3 star JC transfers and who wins?

The JC guys would wipe the floor with them. In the JC transfers, you are getting the cream of the crop from ALL of the no star guys who could land on a roster somewhere.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

it will always suck to be a CSU Ram
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
14 2 - Star

Anyone from cornhole Nebraska shouldn't be calling Fort Collins a stinkhole. Most of the towns in that state aspire to be stinkholes.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

bladerunnr wrote:
NebraskaCowboy wrote:
14 2 - Star

Anyone from cornhole Nebraska shouldn't be calling Fort Collins a stinkhole. Most of the towns in that state aspire to be stinkholes.
Fort Collins would be a really nice place if it wasn't for the sheep.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Lost Poke wrote: Wonder if those 9 JC transfers were 2/3 stars when they went JC. Or did they turn into that after a couple of years of coaching? If so, then they are probably not much different than a regular no-star freshman recruit after two years of coaching.
I disagree. Certainly some "no star" kids turn into 2 or 3 star kids after time in JC. It may be coaching. More likely they were overlooked or had academic or other issues.

However, the vast majority of no star JUCO kids remain no star kids with careers ending at JUCO or below FBS.

Fill a roster with no star kids and coach them for 2 years. Pit that group against 3 star JC transfers and who wins?

The JC guys would wipe the floor with them. In the JC transfers, you are getting the cream of the crop from ALL of the no star guys who could land on a roster somewhere.
Generally, I see your point. However, it comes down to recognizing potential and being able to coach them up. If a coach recognizes the kids that can be coached up and recruits them at no or 1 star, then he gets the equivalent of a 2/3/4 star JC later. If he doesn't recognize them or can't coach them, he gets the equivalent of a 0/1 star JC later.

And what happens with a four star freshman recruit who gets better? It doesn't make much sense to me. But maybe JC's are rated on a different scale.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I also think it's more of a projection on how ready they are to play RIGHT NOW, and not an indication of potential. Which for JUCOS if you think about it makes a lot of sense about why the seemed to often be ranked higher. Dax Crum was a 4 star (lol)... "O star" players aren't truly zero star guys, they're just guys who haven't been evaluated.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote: Generally, I see your point. However, it comes down to recognizing potential and being able to coach them up. If a coach recognizes the kids that can be coached up and recruits them at no or 1 star, then he gets the equivalent of a 2/3/4 star JC later. If he doesn't recognize them or can't coach them, he gets the equivalent of a 0/1 star JC later.

And what happens with a four star freshman recruit who gets better? It doesn't make much sense to me. But maybe JC's are rated on a different scale.
I definitely don't disagree that if you have an eye for talent, you can grab the no star kids that will develop into what would be 3 star JUCOS. However, I just think that is way easier said than done. Bohl has done pretty well with his JUCO picks, which is why I wonder why he doesn't do more of it. As pointed out above, I hope he brings in 2 JUCO D-linemen for sure.

Regarding your last question, the star rating is for that moment in time and how likely they are to succeed at FBS. A 4 star kid out of high school is rated as such because he is very likely to make an FBS team and have a significant impact. He is never rated again. Relative to all other high school kids, he is in the top of the class as likely to succeed at football.

JC guys are also rated but relative to other JC guys. In other words, how likely is that JC prospect to make an FBS squad and make a significant impact.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

The fact that CSU got so many "good recruits" over the past few years, and still have been just another mediocre MWC team tells me that rankings matter, but not as much as we give credit. I don't see them competing for a MWC title any time soon...in fact, no more than what we have a chance to. So, yeah, they can have these all star recruits, but it still hasn't shown to make that big of a difference for them.

CSU is 35-41 or 46% over the past 6 years.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:JC guys are also rated but relative to other JC guys. In other words, how likely is that JC prospect to make an FBS squad and make a significant impact.
Pretty likely. A bunch of these guys are at JUCO for reasons other than talent. Usually grades. Sometimes they need to get bigger/faster/stronger.

Some JUCO to FBS examples...

Cam Newton (Auburn)
Nick Marshall (Auburn)
Zach Mettenberger (LSU)
Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee)

That's just in the SEC in the last five years.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:JC guys are also rated but relative to other JC guys. In other words, how likely is that JC prospect to make an FBS squad and make a significant impact.
Pretty likely. A bunch of these guys are at JUCO for reasons other than talent. Usually grades. Sometimes they need to get bigger/faster/stronger.

Some JUCO to FBS examples...

Cam Newton (Auburn)
Nick Marshall (Auburn)
Zach Mettenberger (LSU)
Cordarrelle Patterson (Tennessee)

That's just in the SEC in the last five years.
In a few years I'm guessing we'd be able to add Kongbo to that list
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

djm19 wrote:The fact that CSU got so many "good recruits" over the past few years, and still have been just another mediocre MWC team tells me that rankings matter, but not as much as we give credit. I don't see them competing for a MWC title any time soon...in fact, no more than what we have a chance to. So, yeah, they can have these all star recruits, but it still hasn't shown to make that big of a difference for them.

CSU is 35-41 or 46% over the past 6 years.
Silliest post ever. They have been to bowl games 3 straight years. They've blown us off the the field the last 3 years. Their players are far better than ours at nearly every position. The only team that they have not been able to compete with is Boise state. They have only lost 8 conference games in the last 3 years. The fact you want to throw in the last 2 Fairchild years and the first Mcelwain year into your 6 year total shows just how much you are grasping. I wish we could be that "mediocre".