This year's recruiting class as whole....thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our style of defense is much less effective, particularly against the spread, without a pass rush. If you don't blitz, which we often don't, then you need some horses up front.

Generating pressure is as critical stopping the run. To me it seems both go hand in hand. Most defenses that swarm and generate lots of pressure are also good at stuffing the run.
Any sort of pass rush is worthless if you can't stop the run. That's basic football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

DVDA wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our style of defense is much less effective, particularly against the spread, without a pass rush. If you don't blitz, which we often don't, then you need some horses up front.

Generating pressure is as critical stopping the run. To me it seems both go hand in hand. Most defenses that swarm and generate lots of pressure are also good at stuffing the run.
Any sort of pass rush is worthless if you can't stop the run. That's basic football.
What helps stop the run? Not having to devote extra players to pass cover for 10 seconds. What help players not have to cover for 10 seconds? Having a reliable pass rush.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

One nice thing is that it seems that Bohl can recruit to his program strengths. Getting solid O line, QB, and RB recruits is at least something to hang our hat on. The O needs to generate enough excitement that those positional players want to come to UW. The defense might be a slower build and it looks like they're gonna have to piece it together. I like the size of these players on paper coming in. If they scored even 2-4 possible contributors even as backups in the D that could help them at least be able to try and force TO's this next season. We might be one of those classic shootout teams that has to look to get a couple TO's on D a game to win, while getting steamrolled more then ya like on that side of the ball in yardage. Any way you slice it the team needs to make more noise this season in a positive fashion to continue to recruit better players.
Riding High!!!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Oh one other thing...We need to get some more big time WR recruits coming in. That used to be our bread n butter. I loved that we always had a highly touted MWC WR in the mix even with shoddier QB play or whatever. It used to always be our best positional player.
Riding High!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

DVDA wrote:

Although we gave up big runs early in the season, rush defense was not the problem. I saw too many 3rd and long converted. It was a pass rush problem
W-Y, Until I Die!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

One item of comparison that hasn't been mentioned here, and that is how many P5 schools came in on our recruits AFTER they committed to Wyoming! A bunch of these young men were offered by P5 schools AFTER they committed to UW.

Oklahoma State tried hard on Webb as also they contacted Chandler Garrett. Minnesota tried on the Weeks kid. I have heard of some others, and then there are the other MWC schools that came in a bunch of our recruits. I think what happens is that Bohl and his staff do the grunt work to find these guys out then you have other staffs, a lot lazier that think that they can step in at the last minute and cherry pick. Unfortunately we lost the Engelhaupt kid to Nebraska, I am not mad at the kid because I am sure that he did nothing and was not aware of one coming. But I am mad at Nebraska, because I thought that was a low life thing to do so close to signing day, a kid in their backyard that they hadn't barely taken a look at up until this time and then cherry pick him off of Wyoming, big RED Assholes in Lincoln!

The Okwoli kid IS a big time WR, he was just a kid that wouldn't make a decision or else he would have been on Washington State's signed list, or Boise State or Utah State...it was all about timing with him.

Sure I am bummed about Wyoming losing those two DL commits, but the way I look at it, if those kids were the type to pull what they did, then neither would have been happy at UW, and who needs to recruit whiners and complainers! We are better off without them in the long run. I am hoping that Uso can come back. But I also have to think that there is a DL who maybe because of grades, or other things is out there, and can maybe can find a good home at UW.

We got some VERY good LB talent in this recruiting class, Windsor was another kid who got a late rush from another school from what I heard, but held true. Windsor just might be good enough to find some serious playing time next year. We have gotten two DB's, in Ortiz and Gafford who will go a long way in helping this program. I think that we got a solid back but not a spectacular one in Green. But I do feel that Garrett has the biggest upside potential of any QB in the last 20 years. I like the kid this much. We have had had higher rated ones and flashier ones, but I don't think that we have had one with the physical tools and maturity that this young mad has had in the last 20 years, and already before he even steps on the campus he is a leader.

In addition, I think that Jace Webb has the chance of being one of the best linemen this program has seen in years as well. The Rush kid is no slouch as well. My take is that both of these kids will play OG, and after Roullier graduates you will probably see Rush on one side and Webb on the other and they will be the anchors for this line for 3 years.

At TE, with the addition of Alec Stewart, you have an exceptionally deep and talented TE position. I wouldn't rate this recruiting class as flashy, but extremely solid and one that go along way to producing championship teams in the next few years at UW.
SlowPoke
Buckaroo

Losing recruits with offers to G5/P5 is showing an element of progress in just 1 year. At least the Boys are identify prospects that have upside potential. The Boys ... as yet ... don't have the track record to hang on to recruits in a championship wrestling match with more vested programs, but that is coming when Bohl puts a winning team on the field for consecutive years.

Also, recruiting classes are built, not manufactured on the spot. The sophomores and juniors Bohl and staff recruited last year and this will be a much stronger class able to hold class recruits than the class of last and this year.

Building a recruit class takes 3-4 years. Building a recruiting base takes 5-6 years. The boys are on schedule if you all have the patience and the coaching staff has the support.

If not, well, welcome to purgatory of annual frustration.