This year's recruiting class as whole....thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

What up dudes! Our 2016 recruiting class has landed!!!!

As the SUPER fair weather blowing in the Laramie wind Wyoming football fan that I am I wanted to ask your opinions on this recruiting class. On paper it looks really good to me as they addressed some serious needs. Pokes got a KICKER!!! This is a HUGE/CRITICAL pick up this year and will be an immediate impact recruit. Seeing as we've been one of those teams that hasn't valued a kicker for years and yes we know how it turned out. It looks like we scored some O linemen that might help out, we got a bunch of LB's (another problematic area), a QB that could be good (always nice to have around), and a boat of secondary guys which is an area we needed to address as well. Having an abundance of secondary/LB guys should help bolster special teams correct? It's all a crapshoot but I like that they really went after some trouble areas. We also got 2 kids from WYO for 307 pride!!!! WYO WYO kids are always exciting to have in the program. D line is the one major area we didn't address which hmmmmmm, ummmmm, yeah we're gonna need to ummmmm yeah

I think this class looks pretty good overall, how do you guys rank it? Who excites you the most?
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'd feel better with more stars, of course, but I think it's a good class. All the tapes looked awesome and there's D-1 size on these kids which is something we haven't had in a few years. This class corrected several weaknesses including kicker, O line, and the LBs and secondary. I'm just super bummed about the state of the D line. I hope this isn't our undoing next year.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'm sure this will turn into yet another recruiting ranking debate, but really there is no other way to judge these guys until they play.

Development is a must. No shocker here. We've got a Brian Hill and an Andrew Wingard...now the team needs more of them. An unappreciated recruit succeeding beyond expectations here and there isn't going to be enough.

The obvious bad news is the DL. They landed precisely two men there as of this moment. I hope this talk of Uso coming back is true, cause otherwise the DL group is a few injuries away from total disaster next season.

I really like Chandler Garrett. That's a Bohl type of QB. I like that size at LB is improving. This class hoarded DBs, which is not a weakness. Meaning Bohl will make this position a strength even if it sacrifices a different position. He's not going to get lit up by spread passing attacks. He will force teams to beat Wyoming on the ground.

Overall, the real key is still development. The best rated recruit according to the rankings is a WR who, while he has talent, wasn't talented enough for Boise State and Utah State to make room for him. That's Wyoming's best recruit according to this measurement. Putting that into perspective, I like several of these recruits, but I'm certainly not going to run around proclaiming the MWC is doomed. We've got work to do.

Three signing days since Bohl was hired and the bottom line remains the same: development is going to make or break this regime.

For reference: https://wyoming.n.rivals.com/commitments/football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

One thing I think is interesting... Rivals gives 3 stars to anyone with a 5.5-5.7 rating. We had 8 kids with a 5.4 rating.. if they all had a .1 rating increase for a total of 9 3 star players, 8 HS with only one JUCO... this would automatically be declared our greatest recruiting class of all time. I wish we had more stars, or more guys with bigger offers.. and I sure as hell wish we could've signed a couple DEs and left Stewart at DE rather than TE... but I have no choice but to trust CB and staff know what they're doing, it's their asses on the line after a 2-10 season so they're damn well better know.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I'm with JRod. This staff was hired and billed as a group who could identify under appreciated talent and coach that talent up. Burman to his credit, did get some more in the recruiting budget.

I do believe Bohl is the guy for the job and I do believe he is advertised with respect to identifying talent. That in combination with an increased budget, to me, is an indication that Bohl got what he wanted, mostly.

I won't lie. I'd feel better if we had an overall class that ranked ahead of or near BSU. However, I trust Bohl, and if he believes these guys are going to get WYO on track, then so do I.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Overall I am pleased with this year's class. Too early to tell who will make a difference or who won't, but I see some guys in there that have a lot of potential.

The fact that UW landed the number one recruit out of Wyoming this year was a win in my book. In year's past we have lost those players to other schools.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokeOLoco wrote:One thing I think is interesting... Rivals gives 3 stars to anyone with a 5.5-5.7 rating. We had 8 kids with a 5.4 rating.. if they all had a .1 rating increase for a total of 9 3 star players, 8 HS with only one JUCO... this would automatically be declared our greatest recruiting class of all time. I wish we had more stars, or more guys with bigger offers.. and I sure as hell wish we could've signed a couple DEs and left Stewart at DE rather than TE... but I have no choice but to trust CB and staff know what they're doing, it's their asses on the line after a 2-10 season so they're damn well better know.
I noticed this too. Plus the ones that didn't even have a rivals rating whatsoever I found to have the most impressive tapes, for example Adrian King, who dominated Denver HS football and had like 150 tackles.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Another note - A few of our players were downgraded as soon as they committed. That tall receiver from Washington, the tall TE from Oregon and Garrett the QB were all downgraded shortly after they signed with us. So there's that, too.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

correct... and a guy who wasn't rated in Jordan Chin visited us and then visited and committed to Washington.. boom 3 stars. Bet he wouldn't have gotten that bump. Stars definitely mean something and that's not debatable, but in our case I think they deserve a little bit of a grain of salt.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

PokeOLoco wrote:correct... and a guy who wasn't rated in Jordan Chin visited us and then visited and committed to Washington.. boom 3 stars. Bet he wouldn't have gotten that bump. Stars definitely mean something and that's not debatable, but in our case I think they deserve a little bit of a grain of salt.
This happens far more often than people want to admit.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:
PokeOLoco wrote:One thing I think is interesting... Rivals gives 3 stars to anyone with a 5.5-5.7 rating. We had 8 kids with a 5.4 rating.. if they all had a .1 rating increase for a total of 9 3 star players, 8 HS with only one JUCO... this would automatically be declared our greatest recruiting class of all time. I wish we had more stars, or more guys with bigger offers.. and I sure as hell wish we could've signed a couple DEs and left Stewart at DE rather than TE... but I have no choice but to trust CB and staff know what they're doing, it's their asses on the line after a 2-10 season so they're damn well better know.
I noticed this too. Plus the ones that didn't even have a rivals rating whatsoever I found to have the most impressive tapes, for example Adrian King, who dominated Denver HS football and had like 150 tackles.
I think King was hurt by the school he played at. They have a new coach who's trying to turn things around, but it's definitely not a football school.

It's a similar situation to when jovon bouknight came to wyoming.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I've been really impressed with some of the OL recruits. I think this OL will be really good soon. Too bad our DL looks to be a huge need still. Tons of DBs. Not sure we needed so many but they might like that type of player on special teams etc
W-Y, Until I Die!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:I've been really impressed with some of the OL recruits. I think this OL will be really good soon. Too bad our DL looks to be a huge need still. Tons of DBs. Not sure we needed so many but they might like that type of player on special teams etc
I wonder how many linebackers are going to turn into d-ends and defensive backs into linebackers...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I wonder if any of the OL recruits will switch over to the DL.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

WYCowboy wrote:I wonder if any of the OL recruits will switch over to the DL.
One of them was a DL in high school but Bohl said he'll play OL
W-Y, Until I Die!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

that jc transfer is quick.

there is some legitimate size coming in.

Shiloh looks good... in fact I'm pleased with our linebackers coming in.

chandler looks like he can compete with josh allen immediately. our quarterback situation looks a lot better than it did last year.

good size tightend coming in.

I am pleased. who is coming off their redshirt... is Xavier lewis going to be back this year?

all this looks like we should have a decent puzzle coming together. we need a good pash rush though... and I don't know if that is going to improve yet or not. wick coming back, and willing to do whatever he needs to do to get on the field, slot back... fullback... who knows. but I don't want him getting another head injury. C.T.E. is a horrible diagnosis... I would rather see wick healthy forever than with a rotting brain in 12 years.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

carbonpoke wrote:that jc transfer is quick.

chandler looks like he can compete with josh allen immediately. our quarterback situation looks a lot better than it did last year.

I am pleased. who is coming of their redshirt... is Xavier lewis going to be back this year?

all this looks like we should have a decent puzzle coming together. we need a good pash rush though... and I don't know if that is going to improve yet or not. wick coming back, and willing to do whatever he needs to do to get on the field, slot back... fullback... who knows. but I don't want him getting another head injury. C.T.E. is a horrible diagnosis... I would rather see wick healthy forever than with a rotting brain in 12 years.
Wyoming needs to stop the run and put some points up before they need to worry about their pass rush.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Our style of defense is much less effective, particularly against the spread, without a pass rush. If you don't blitz, which we often don't, then you need some horses up front.

Generating pressure is as critical stopping the run. To me it seems both go hand in hand. Most defenses that swarm and generate lots of pressure are also good at stuffing the run.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DVDA wrote:

I am pleased. who is coming of their redshirt... is Xavier lewis going to be back this year?

Wyoming needs to stop the run and put some points up before they need to worry about their pass rush.
Good pass rush is key. I thought our pass coverage did admirably last year considering they were expected to stop the run, too or cover for 7 seconds every play. We need a pass rush
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

LanderPoke wrote:
DVDA wrote:

Good pass rush is key. I thought our pass coverage did admirably last year considering they were expected to stop the run, too or cover for 7 seconds every play. We need a pass rush
Great points Lander. I actually think our secondary will be very good for the foreseeable future. Adding depth and size at LB was essential. Now, we have to do something to beef up our DL.

On offense, our line seems solidified, but lacks focus and technique. Our WR corps could be good, but will benefit from a true WR coach. Same with TE. QB is going to be a strength, assuming our starter stays healthy.