2017 Wyoming HS Prospects

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

With the 2016 class in the books it is time to look towards 2017 and specifically for now the top players in Wyoming the UW staff might be looking at. Below are non-seniors on the Casper Star Super 25 from last season. Does anyone have any info on these players?

T.J. Abraham, 5-8, 150, jr, RB/OLB/PR, Powell
Matt Fowler, 5-11, 195, jr, RB/LB/KR, Rock Springs
Logan Harris, 6-3, 255, jr, OT/DT, Torrington
Nolan McCafferty, 5-11, 195, jr, FB/MLB, Big Horn
Madden Pikula, 5-10, 180, jr, WR/S/PR/KR, Gillette
McCabe Smith, 5-11, 230, jr, G/NT, Star Valley

OTHERS:

Jacob Ross, 6-7, 210, jr, DE, Cheyenne East (2015 4A All State)
Last edited by Wicks on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Don't know anything about those kids other than it doesn't like like D1 size. What about the 6 foot 7 DE from Cheyenne East? Anybody know if they've figured out how to put 50 pounds on him?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Matt Fowler is a beast. Does everything for rock springs. Sort of like Theo Dawson. Solid build

I'd think 5-8 150 would be small for any position except water boy
W-Y, Until I Die!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I've heard that Big Horn kid is a stud, don't know if he's scholarship good, but definitely a candidate
Wicks
Blog Team

Thanks for the info guys and keep the additional names coming. I will keep this list up and see what information I can find through the recruiting channels throughout the year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

The Torrington kid is the only one that's potentially got the size.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Everyone's looking at the sizes of these kids as high school juniors. They will get bigger.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

They'll put on some pounds, but they aren't going to get a whole lot taller. There are certainly exceptions, but for the most part males are within an inch or 2 of their eventual height by the time they are 17-18.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:They'll put on some pounds, but they aren't going to get a whole lot taller. There are certainly exceptions, but for the most part males are within an inch or 2 of their eventual height by the time they are 17-18.
Heading into their junior year, wouldn't they more likely be 16-17?

There's something called "peak height velocity" that fairly accurately determines how much you'll grow. Where it gets tricky is that you have to figure out if the kids are early or late in terms of hitting their puberty. Typically most boys grow fastest between 12 and 15, but some keep growing significantly until around 20 or so.

It's obviously going to be tough to know where these kids are without having tracked them for a while, though. A kid who's 5'11 but has tall parents is obviously also going to be a bit more interesting, even though that's not a perfect predictor either.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:They'll put on some pounds, but they aren't going to get a whole lot taller. There are certainly exceptions, but for the most part males are within an inch or 2 of their eventual height by the time they are 17-18.
I don't see their heights as much of an issue though, except maybe the 5'11" G/NT. There are plenty of 5'8"-5'11" RBs, WRs and LBs who have played FBS football.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

RBs are generally more flexible in size than most other positions. Smaller ones are generally more speedy and agile. Bigger ones plow over defenders. Hill is 6'1 for example.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

There's something called "peak height velocity" that fairly accurately determines how much you'll grow. Where it gets tricky is that you have to figure out if the kids are early or late in terms of hitting their puberty. Typically most boys grow fastest between 12 and 15, but some keep growing significantly until around 20 or so.

It's obviously going to be tough to know where these kids are without having tracked them for a while, though. A kid who's 5'11 but has tall parents is obviously also going to be a bit more interesting, even though that's not a perfect predictor either.
Yes, but these are guys that are almost done with their junior year and are going to be seniors right? I was one of the youngest in my class and I turned 17 at the end of my junior year.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
I don't see their heights as much of an issue though, except maybe the 5'11" G/NT. There are plenty of 5'8"-5'11" RBs, WRs and LBs who have played FBS football.
Josh, meet Dusty:

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mt ... sty00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Yes, but these are guys that are almost done with their junior year and are going to be seniors right? I was one of the youngest in my class and I turned 17 at the end of my junior year.
Yeah, but weren't those heights/weights from when they started the year rather than their current sizes?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:I don't see their heights as much of an issue though, except maybe the 5'11" G/NT. There are plenty of 5'8"-5'11" RBs, WRs and LBs who have played FBS football.
Josh, meet Dusty:

http://www.gowyo.com/sports/m-footbl/mt ... sty00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said maybe.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Josh, meet Dusty:

As an example of what? A 2 time state mvp at one of the biggest schools that was passed over by d1 schools because of height? The guy had to go to a d2 school and dominate as a freshman before transferring up.

I just don't think anybody should use dusty as an example of why you can recruit 5-10 d lineman. He was a rare exception
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Josh, meet Dusty:

As an example of what? A 2 time state mvp at one of the biggest schools that was passed over by d1 schools because of height? The guy had to go to a d2 school and dominate as a freshman before transferring up.

I just don't think anybody should use dusty as an example of why you can recruit 5-10 d lineman. He was a rare exception
I just posted a link to a page of a former player, who happens to be 5'8", based on someone saying 5'11" might be an issue for a NT. Everything else is you reading into my post.

If you want my opinion, yes Dusty was an exception and not the rule. Why? Because we have never had a 5'8" NT that I can remember. He was good, but I prefer a bigger defensive lineman. The walk-on from Nebraska is a nice size for a NT....around 6'1" and 300lbs.....like a wrecking ball.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

The chances of a Wyoming high school player that is a D1 signing going to the NFL has to be the highest percentage of any state. They've always only taken Super Freak's from Wyoming. They've typically never taken the guy that no other area D1 team is offering. I'm one of those "there's tons of guys from Wyoming they should've offered" type of guys but even then I don't want them to lower the standards of what they are looking for from anywhere. So yeah I hope there's multiple Wyoming players d1 caliber and that the Cowboys get them, but can't force it.