HUGE setback for recruiting

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

A little humor around the whole thing.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... lite-camps

My particular favorite...
Build series of Dave and Buster's-style restaurants in Texas, California, Florida, and other fertile recruiting hotbeds. Oh look a forty yard dash machine--
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Just designate a kicking practice and training facility in Oklahoma, etc., and it's a "regular" practice facility. Let the NCAA try to prove that case and push the subject to the top of the page. They'll lose that PR battle pretty quickly...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Wyovanian wrote:Just designate a kicking practice and training facility in Oklahoma, etc., and it's a "regular" practice facility. Let the NCAA try to prove that case and push the subject to the top of the page. They'll lose that PR battle pretty quickly...
Be like what our baseball team did back in the day. I believe they went to Arizona for a large chunk of the year.

You could potentially set up a variety of "facilities"
W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I was just thinking... is this for all sports? For example, our golf team hosts a tournament in Arizona every year during the season since spring in Laramie is a bit too unpredictable. Is that now against the rules?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:I was just thinking... is this for all sports? For example, our golf team hosts a tournament in Arizona every year during the season since spring in Laramie is a bit too unpredictable. Is that now against the rules?
No, this rule is for high school camps hosted/ran by colleges, the golf tournament is a college competition.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:I was just thinking... is this for all sports? For example, our golf team hosts a tournament in Arizona every year during the season since spring in Laramie is a bit too unpredictable. Is that now against the rules?
No, this rule is for high school camps hosted/ran by colleges, the golf tournament is a college competition.
But this ban also applies to college athletes as well, like Michigan's spring practices in Florida this year, right?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
But this ban also applies to college athletes as well, like Michigan's spring practices in Florida this year, right?
I think so but we still had a practice/scrimmage in Cheyenne so maybe it just means camps.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
I think so but we still had a practice/scrimmage in Cheyenne so maybe it just means camps.
It's within 50 miles of campus I believe...so maybe campus to East is like 48?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:But this ban also applies to college athletes as well, like Michigan's spring practices in Florida this year, right?
No. Those aren't satellite camps. Those are spring practices.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

No, as far as I understand, this is ONLY for high school camps, schools can still have spring ball, fall camp, practices, scrimmages, etc. wherever they want.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

Maybe if I enroll as an online student wherever I set my laptop will be a "school facility." Right?
52-56
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

jessejames02 wrote:Maybe if I enroll as an online student wherever I set my laptop will be a "school facility." Right?
Now that's the type of loopholes we need to find! Touche sir :thumb:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I wonder if there is any way to structure a coach's contract such that he/she is an employee of the University at all times other than x month or x times when that coach is conducting a satellite camp? I imagine insurance and retirement could be sticky, but the idea is to basically make coaching "seasonal" and their salary is paid over 11 months. In the 12 month, they are laid off for a month and coincidentally that month is when they host satellite camps?

I think coaches should file an antitrust lawsuit ASAP. I wonder if high school recruits would have a grounds for a lawsuit over limiting opportunity?

Terrible rule and boggles the mind why the MWC would vote for it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote:No, as far as I understand, this is ONLY for high school camps, schools can still have spring ball, fall camp, practices, scrimmages, etc. wherever they want.
joshvanklomp wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:But this ban also applies to college athletes as well, like Michigan's spring practices in Florida this year, right?
No. Those aren't satellite camps. Those are spring practices.
Huh. Interesting. Especially because it seems like this conversation started because the SEC was upset that Michigan took it's team into SEC country. I figured that would be included in the ban since it seemed to be the spark that ignited this fire.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I wonder if there is any way to structure a coach's contract such that he/she is an employee of the University at all times other than x month or x times when that coach is conducting a satellite camp? I imagine insurance and retirement could be sticky, but the idea is to basically make coaching "seasonal" and their salary is paid over 11 months. In the 12 month, they are laid off for a month and coincidentally that month is when they host satellite camps?
Nope, this was also included in the NCAA verdict.
Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Nope, this was also included in the NCAA verdict.
Additionally, FBS coaches and noncoaching staff members with responsibilities specific to football may be employed only at their school’s camps or clinics.
I read that, but under my proposal, the coaches would technically be employed or have responsibilities specific to football for that month so they wouldn't have a school. A month later, they would.

I'm not sure if contracts could be structured such a way. i.e. WYO hires Craig Bohl for 11 months with the annual option to extend the contract after the month of unemployment. The terms are for 5 years. If WYO does not extend the offer after the month off, Craig Bohl is paid x$. If Craig Bohl coaches for another team after the month off, he pays WYO y$.

For 1 month, Craig Bohl is unemployed. My understanding is that he plans to utilize his coaching skills and knowledge to provide a learning opportunity for talented athletes around the country.

I'm not sure if this could happen or not. Probably the latter.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

My guess is that as soon as that coach is re-hired by the school he was just at, the NCAA would lower the boom. Now if they did that and then went to another school, not sure how that would work.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Apparently the MWC vote was 7-4 in favor of banning satellite camps. Must be some heat because CT is asking for a confirmation.
MWC commish Craig Thompson told me his league voted 7-4 in favor of satellite ban, but yesterday he sent a memo to the league asking them to make sure of their stance. "I don't think the vote is going to change or the position is going to change," he said. He said Paul Krebs from NM voted on their behalf and did what he was expected. "I was sitting next to him," Thompson said. "He said what are we supposed to do? I said, "they said - they being you the membership, 7-4 ban satellite camps. Vote to ban satellite camps."
On the ESPN sidebar.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

The questioning about the vote might be in reference to this Sports Illustrated article that came out.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... power-five

Some interesting quotes from the article:
I have zero problem with the ACC and SEC seeking a ban. Entities are supposed to act in their own best interests. My problem is with the Big 12, Pac-12, Sun Belt and Mountain West, which did not. Usually, people who vote opposite their own interests are stupid, corrupt or a combination of the two.
Pac-12 vote in question...
The Big 12 and Pac-12 also voted to ban satellite camps even though it didn’t appear to be in their best interests, and one Pac-12 coach wondered aloud Monday how that could happen.
Washington State coach Mike Leach said most schools in the Pac-12 were for satellite camps. ESPN’s Brett McMurphy previously reported that the Pac-12 voted in favor of the ban, and Leach isn’t sure how that could have happened. Common sense dictates that only UCLA, USC and maybe Arizona State would want to ban such camps to protect their recruiting turf. The Pac-12’s representative on the Division I management council is UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

More questions surrounding the veracity of the vote...

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... ro-ucla-ad
Guerrero [UCLA AD]—the Pac-12’s representative on the council—then had to tell his colleagues why he voted against the wishes of 11 of the league’s 12 schools.
Texas State’s athletic director, Larry Teis, was the Sun Belt representative on the council. He cast a vote for the ban—against the wishes of the majority of the league’s schools.
Because Power Five conference votes count double, the result of the vote was 10–5 for the ban. Had Guerrero and Teis voted in accordance with the wishes of the majority of their respective conferences’ schools, the result would have been 8–7 against the ban.
To quote some old, kinda famous guy "something is rotten in the state of Denmark..."

Sounds like this will get revisited and maybe overturned.