Spring Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

wiley wapiti wrote:Allen was 62% for 267yrds (only 21 attempts) and 2 touchdowns and 2 turnovers against our 1's. I didn't watch the game, but Im guessing our staff is happy with all but the turnovers. like I said, I didn't watch the game and sometimes stats don't tell the whole truth, but I'm not sure how some can be disappointed with those stats for a first game???

...throwing across your body for a QB is something you stop doing in JV.

John Elway and Brett Favre, which Allen is not, say your full of $hit. lol
Well poop, there,are always exceptions to the rules. I ain't gonna get into a ring with a bull that wants to rip me a new asshole, but there are guys that can do it., and look good at it too. :winky:
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

mwc fan wrote:
wiley wapiti wrote:Allen was 62% for 267yrds (only 21 attempts) and 2 touchdowns and 2 turnovers against our 1's. I didn't watch the game, but Im guessing our staff is happy with all but the turnovers. like I said, I didn't watch the game and sometimes stats don't tell the whole truth, but I'm not sure how some can be disappointed with those stats for a first game???

Well poop, there,are always exceptions to the rules. I ain't gonna get into a ring with a bull that wants to rip me a new asshole, but there are guys that can do it., and look good at it too. :winky:
LOL Brett Favre is the all-time NFL INT leader, and is nearly 100 INTs clear of the 2nd place QB. Coincidence? I think not lol.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

laxwyo wrote:Didn't they say the pass was a quasi Hail Mary at the end of the half? If it was, then he essentially only had the Granderson strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much this. Allen look in control and the receivers had at least to blatant drops of Allen passes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LanderPoke wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Didn't they say the pass was a quasi Hail Mary at the end of the half? If it was, then he essentially only had the Granderson strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much this. Allen look in control and the receivers had at least two blatant drops of Allen's passes.
wiley wapiti
Ranch Hand

J-Rod wrote:
mwc fan wrote:

My point was, throwing across your body is very hard to do successfully, but not all QB's stop doing it in JV, and not all QB's are unsuccessful at doing it. I feel like we were painting that type of throw with a very large brush is all...
LOL Brett Favre is the all-time NFL INT leader, and is nearly 100 INTs clear of the 2nd place QB. Coincidence? I think not lol.
And is tied for the all time winningest QB to ever play the game and 59 more than 2nd place is hardly "nearly 100"...also, you seem to correlate all those INT's to Brett throwing across his body. would be very interesting for you, since you brought up his INT stats, to figure out how many of those were throwing across his body. Anybody can type stats to help his/her opinion, but lets be honest, not all those INT's you mentioned are him throwing across his body. Also, I mentioned Elway in there because he did a lot of that in his career, but you fail to mention him being way down at 15th all time. After looking at the stats it looks to me that years of service may be a better indicator of number of Interceptions than throwing across their bodies.

But it really doesn't matter, Im not trying to fight. Carry on...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Haha I'm just joking anyway. I know Vikings fans wish Favre wouldn't throw across his body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I'm certainly not saying that I don't love The type of Qb Allen is, he has perhaps the strongest rifle arm I've ever seen. I love his poise, confidence and attitude. That being said, if he can scale back on the velocity of his throws on short passes his % will go up. There were a lot drops but I think the gold team receivers were mainly the culprits. Also after watching the high light video, the strip sack looked like Allen thought the sack was going to be whistled dead by the refs. Also the QB's were not supposed to be hit. Hard to see it from the stands at the time. I also will say Allen is an upgrade from Captain Kirk and Coffman. He's just so talented I guess I expect a lot from him, but in hindsight this is exactly what Spring ball is all about, Gauging talent for fall game planning. Also forgot we had a scholarship kicker coming in this summer. That should help a lot if he is as good as the staff believes. As for the D line, im looking forward to the Juco players coming in. That in my opinion will be the key position this Fall whether we can stop the run and pressure the Qb. If we can, I see a bowl game. If not.....well carry on cowboys, the SNAFU continues.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

GoPokes86 wrote:Good to see Wick back and running hard, I do cringe a little every time he lowers his head to make contact though.
I really do wonder about the whole medical hardship thing with Wick in light of what we are learning about the long-term, lifetime effects of concussions. If I were a coach, given Wick's history, I would have a hard time letting him back--both because of what it could do to him as a person and because we do not know how the liability exposure might evolve in these types of situations.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

WyoExpat wrote:
GoPokes86 wrote:Good to see Wick back and running hard, I do cringe a little every time he lowers his head to make contact though.
I really do wonder about the whole medical hardship thing with Wick in light of what we are learning about the long-term, lifetime effects of concussions. If I were a coach, given Wick's history, I would have a hard time letting him back--both because of what it could do to him as a person and because we do not know how the liability exposure might evolve in these types of situations.

Never heard anyone say that about Brett Smith and his concussion issues with the Pokes. That hit he took against Toledo was down right terrifying. Brett had another one during the season after that too. I'm sure Wick is fine and the Team medical staff knows more than we actually do.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

mwc fan wrote:
WyoExpat wrote:

Never heard anyone say that about Brett Smith and his concussion issues with the Pokes. That hit he took against Toledo was down right terrifying. Brett had another one during the season after that too. I'm sure Wick is fine and the Team medical staff knows more than we actually do.
I agree that hit against Toledo was one of the most vicious hits I've seen in a long time, but Brett also didn't sit out nearly an entire season for a concussion like Wick did last year. You are right though, the team doctors do know more than us and that's their job.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

As far as liability to UW, there is hardly any. Every athlete signs on that they accept the risks before they can even lift, let alone practice or play. I'm sure he has been thoroughly advised of the risks of continuing and, as long as he isn't placed or forced in to an unsafe situation, the liability of the university is minimal.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
mwc fan wrote:Not saying Allen didn't do some great things. I just hate turnovers and throwing across your body for a QB is something you stop doing in JV. His rocket arm is a blessing and at times a curse. I saw what I saw, tell Bohl to eat a snickers because he basically said the same thing. Allen is our Qb and I want him to succeed, but come on seriously?
Bohl didn't say he looked rough, though.
Is this a joke?

smh
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

wyokoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
djm19 wrote:
mwc fan wrote:What a great game today! Another exciting game like last year.
Things I liked:
1. The kick off returns by Milo Hall. I think he found his way on the field this season as a KO return man.
2. Wick. He's back and he's running like a man on a mission. Punishing defenders and his red zone game will give us what we lacked last season.
3.Wingard. He made a lot of great plays with a pick and was in Josh Allens head all day.
Things I didn't like:
1. Josh Allen with two turnovers. One was a fumble that led to a scoop and score.
2. FG kicking. Missed chip shot cost the brown team the game.
3. Defensive giving up chunks on the ground...again
Unfortunately, my takeaways from this assessment. .. the negatives greatly outweigh the positives in my opinion.

Lucky for Milo, the pokes have a boat load off kick return opportunities
Our QB looking rough, garbage fg team again, and undersized front seven. Great.
This sh-t drives me crazy. One of the disadvantages of our 7200' elevation is that we don't get as many kick return opportunities as other teams at lower elevations because teams from lower elevations get more touchbacks in Laramie.

As for the kicking game, our scholarship kicker wasn't even in Laramie for the game, so you can take that whole thing with a grain of salt....
But when you give up 7 TDs a game, there's more opportunity to return kicks
Thank you for getting the joke. So many hypersensitive people. Jeez, this place never changes. It was a joke. I said it in jest.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

No offense, it didn't come off as a joke. It came off as a negative remark about our D based on the spring game. And, the only place I've seen any negative remarks about Allen's performance are on this thread.

I didn't attend the game, but I've heard his arm strength is amazing. And the completion percentage can improve if and when he learns to take a little off.

ps. Our kicker for next year. He can kick it through the uprights when kicking off from the 40. I think we'll see a lot of touchbacks over the next four years. And, more consistency in the field goal game. We will also have a weapon and potential points when we get inside the 35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0WfS-vadF4
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

I went to the Spring game last year, and was irrationally optimistic about our team's outlook.

Sat this one out; let's see what happens in September!

WW
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

A few things to take away from the spring game. Allen has gone from low 50% completion ratings at the beginning of spring to well over 60% at the game. Shows that he and the WRs are beginning to mold in the pass/catch. Throwing across his body and holding on to the ball are things he needs to deal with and learn in the spring, rather than the fall. I'm sure the coaches saw these aswell and will be coaching him on his decision making skills come the fall. It also just looked like they were trying to make a play in a broken play before the half. That said I was also impressed with Smith. Based on his play last year and having to cater the offense to his deficiencies in games last year, he came out and moved the ball well this spring. I'm not saying he is key, but he has progressed greatly comparatively.

Wingard was an animal last season and I'm overly impressed by his play coming into the spring! I stated that this guy played like a veteran after the ND game last year and he continued to exel through the year to the point of Frosh All American! He has shown no signs of letting up and played great coverage and had himself in position to create 2 TOs in the game. Big A+ for Wingard!!!

Granderson became equally impressive throughout the year last year even with his lack of size. He was getting into the backfield a lot last year. He seems to have bought in and dedicated himself to increasing in size and strength! And was really impressive in what I saw of him in the spring game. Our other DE who RS'd last year Ghafain (spelling) also was impressive and I see both of these guys being key contributors to the D!

Our LB's were not getting bowled over due to lack of size! Still a work in progress, but much better compared to last year.

CBs still need to get their coverage picked up a hint earlier or we will be seeing a lot of long pass plays like we did in the spring game.

OLINE: with exception of a few, these guys are still working to mesh as a unit, and it is noticeable at times. But even while they struggled with working together their run blocking was amazing! Pass blocking still needs some work.

RBs! Wick is Wick! He was running like a man with something to prove! Looked just as capable at being the same Wick that was running over Oregons and MSU's D's a few years ago! It will be a welcome relief for Hill to not have to carry the entire load like last year. Hall and Evans are very capable and shifty backs aswell! Big A+ for these guys aswell. These guys blew up the rushing stats without Hill and Overstreet! I also noticed Conway had a run for 15 yards...

I am overly optimistic at this point. I pegged us at 4-8 this next year. So far I still say 4-8, but (and this is a big but) I can see us potentially winning a few more next year rather than thinking we may lose more.

Just my take.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

WyoExpat wrote:
I agree with you. While it is great to see Wick back from a fan perspective and while I love watching him play; I believe it is a poor idea to come back and play. Studies are showing more and more that as little as one concussion can have lifelong effects. Wick (while being a good player) will never be in the NFL and he will need to make a career elsewhere. Of course I will root for him and it is his decision, I just don't see it as a risk worth taking.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I never get too worked up about sloppy plays or turnovers in the Spring. Often the calls, throws, etc. are more careless and are about learning boundaries. You gotta push things a little to see what you can and can't do from play calling (coaches) to throws, runs, jumping routes, whatever.

Overall speed, fundamentals (in general), strength, comprehension of offense and defense, flashes of elite plays/athleticism, etc. are more important, IMO. That said, I wasn't there and the game wasn't streamed, again, so, not much else to say other than STREAM THE DAMN GAME.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I never get too worked up about sloppy plays or turnovers in the Spring. Often the calls, throws, etc. are more careless and are about learning boundaries. You gotta push things a little to see what you can and can't do from play calling (coaches) to throws, runs, jumping routes, whatever.

Overall speed, fundamentals (in general), strength, comprehension of offense and defense, flashes of elite plays/athleticism, etc. are more important, IMO. That said, I wasn't there and the game wasn't streamed, again, so, not much else to say other than STREAM THE DAMN GAME.
Agree 100%. Can't read too much into the score or turnovers. One bad play for the O is a great play for the D and they all play for us.

I saw a lot of exceptional plays this spring game that D-1 teams make. Just as Ragtime said it's important to look at speed, size, arm strength etc.. I saw better speed and size across the board with the exception of the D line, but Appleby and Malauulu were out and we have a couple JC reinforcements coming so I'm not down on that group... yet.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:No offense, it didn't come off as a joke. It came off as a negative remark about our D based on the spring game. And, the only place I've seen any negative remarks about Allen's performance are on this thread.

I didn't attend the game, but I've heard his arm strength is amazing. And the completion percentage can improve if and when he learns to take a little off.

ps. Our kicker for next year. He can kick it through the uprights when kicking off from the 40. I think we'll see a lot of touchbacks over the next four years. And, more consistency in the field goal game. We will also have a weapon and potential points when we get inside the 35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0WfS-vadF4
Could it be a negative remark about our D based on the last season's performance?