State budget cuts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

It will be interesting to see how the new required budget cuts at UW trickle down to athletics...though it's not clear to me if Mead's new directive for an 8% cut is on top of the previously ordered cuts, or whether UW will get credit for the cutting they're already in the midst of doing.

I suspect athletics will get its pro-rata share, though...so maybe a 3-4% cut in its total budget?

That's unpleasant, but something that can be handled, you hope. What may be more grim is that in this new world there's less chance of those occasional one-time big infusions of state money for special projects that we've gotten used to.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

We turned the third highest profit in the conference this year despite total poop in terms of performance, so we should be able to make that happen pretty easily
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
wyoskier24
Buckaroo

Actually, those numbers are from 2014-15. Still a bit surprising.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Ah, well that makes more sense. lol.. CSU was 11th
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

There's starting to be a bunch of whining on the faculty list serve about how Athletics gets block grant money and they should be on their own. Mainly from people in departments that have no research funding and have degrees ending with the word "Studies". Expect these people to put some pressure on old main to do something one way or the other.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

President held town hall meeting today for UW employees and students today; some attendees not too fond of athletics:
https://twitter.com/markhelmsing/status ... 5036453889 https://twitter.com/markhelmsing/status ... 6921759744 https://twitter.com/markhelmsing/status ... 5547870210
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

These are very well educated people, but they lack common sense.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WYCowboy wrote:These are very well educated people, but they lack common sense.
Hate to say this but the entire human species lacks common sense. Especially the morons running for office!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

There are these kind of professors at every University in the country. They don't understand the effect athletics have on education. I would be willing to bet if we dropped down a division enrollment would take a drastic hit as well. Donor support would drop throughout the University and there would be zero pride. Not saying students come here because of D1 athletics but it certainly legitimizes the school.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I find it ironic that the professors and department heads who typically argue for dropping athletics are the same ones who rely heavily on student athletes to enroll and major in their subjects :twocents:
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

cali2wyo wrote:I find it ironic that the professors and department heads who typically argue for dropping athletics are the same ones who rely heavily on student athletes to enroll and major in their subjects :twocents:
You will also have noticed that none of the professors in engineering, geology or the other hard sciences that actually bring in research money attended this meeting. Only the leeches attended in order to get in line for their chance to throw anyone else under bus rather than accept their own ineptitude. They feel the reaper at their back and they will do anything to survive.

For those that would have us drop a level, they would be dooming at least 2 possibly 4 other sport programs as the money that football would no longer earn would not be there to fund them. They only care about their 16th century spanish lesbian poetry and how it gives them the feels.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

elfletcho wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:I find it ironic that the professors and department heads who typically argue for dropping athletics are the same ones who rely heavily on student athletes to enroll and major in their subjects :twocents:
You will also have noticed that none of the professors in engineering, geology or the other hard sciences that actually bring in research money attended this meeting. Only the leeches attended in order to get in line for their chance to throw anyone else under bus rather than accept their own ineptitude. They feel the reaper at their back and they will do anything to survive.

For those that would have us drop a level, they would be dooming at least 2 possibly 4 other sport programs as the money that football would no longer earn would not be there to fund them. They only care about their 16th century spanish lesbian poetry and how it gives them the feels.
I can go to Barnes and Noble and pay much less and learn everything this guy teaches. History is important I love it but I have always thought that it should be self taught. Schools tend to leave some of the most important things out of the study. They like to hide things from us.
Last edited by poke_addict on Wed May 25, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

poke_addict wrote:
elfletcho wrote:

I can go to Barnes and Noble and pay much less and learn everything this guy teaches. History is important I love it but I have always thought it that should be self taught. Schools tend to leave some of the most important things out of the study. They like to hide things from us.
I agree and I got a B.A. in History from a NAIA (at the time) school that nobody really gave a damned about....East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

poke_addict wrote:
elfletcho wrote:

I can go to Barnes and Noble and pay much less and learn everything this guy teaches. History is important I love it but I have always thought that it should be self taught. Schools tend to leave some of the most important things out of the study. They like to hide things from us.
Or teach lessons that promote their agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!