OT: Vandals to FCS

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
GoPokes86 wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Nobody better laugh unless your primary school is P5.
Agreed, not just the University of Wyoming but the whole state is at a critical juncture. Funding is going to be a growing major major concern.

Coal is being displaced by gas for electric generation faster than anyone could have reasonably predicted (in 2007 coal accounted for 49% of the grid, in 2014 coal accounted for 39% of the grid, in 2015 coal accounted for 33%, in 2016 there is a belief it may fall into the 20s). The increased gas production is unlikely to come from Wyoming in any meaningful way to offest the loss of coal production (these Eastern wells really are that good). I'm not crying wolf, we have some serious funding concerns going forward even when commodity prices recover.
Unfortunately, this is completely true. The worst thing that happened for western natural gas was the Marcellus shale discovery. When wells IP at over 25mmcf/day they can easily respond to peak needs in the highest population area and highest demand area in the country with even a modest drilling program. I highly doubt we will ever see gas over $4/mcf in the next 10 years which is the point that the State is able to stack money in the coffers. Unless oil reaches $70+/bbl and is sustained and we find a Bakken/Wolfcamp like basin in Wyoming funding is going to be tough.
I'm with you; I just don't see oil production saving the State's coffers either. Even at $70/bbl, the Bakken is not all that profitable and the Middle East has little reason to let our unconventional producers capture additional market share. Also, keep in mind that in Wyoming's 'new frontier' of oil development in Laramie County, the minerals are almost entirely owned by private individuals and companies. The largest portion of Wyoming's revenue on oil and gas comes from state owned and federally owned minerals (Wyoming gets half of the 1/8 federal royalty).

We certainly can't just bury our head in the sand and say 'it will come back just like it always does.'
Laramie County is not where the big Wyoming producers are focusing their resources. Going by county wide production in December 2015, Laramie County was 7th in production (12th in natural gas). Things are going to be tight for a bit yet with coal looking to be in a rough spot for a while, but our fortunes do not rest on Laramie County oil production. There was one developer saying in the Star Trib that a certain Wyoming basin was looking better than their North Dakota assets. Further, read up on the Trib's recent stories about coal vs oil/natural gas leasing now, and try to read in between the lines. As that is publicly available information, that is all I will say on that.

It is going to be interesting to see how college football shakes out. Right now it seems that the P5 is holding all the cards, but I have the feeling if they try to make a semi-pro situation, other parties will get involved in ways we may have no real idea yet.

In the meantime now is the time for our AD to really get to work to secure other sources of funding. Same goes for the state and local gov's and most importantly the people of Wyoming. Easy money times are gone now, time to get an entrepreneur spirit.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Expat_Poke wrote:

Laramie County is not where the big Wyoming producers are focusing their resources. Going by county wide production in December 2015, Laramie County was 7th in production (12th in natural gas). Things are going to be tight for a bit yet with coal looking to be in a rough spot for a while, but our fortunes do not rest on Laramie County oil production. There was one developer saying in the Star Trib that a certain Wyoming basin was looking better than their North Dakota assets. Further, read up on the Trib's recent stories about coal vs oil/natural gas leasing now, and try to read in between the lines. As that is publicly available information, that is all I will say on that.
Laramie County was never much of a historical oil and gas producer (that's why it's a 'new frontier' for tight sands development). Well results are in, Laramie County will be a player with any significant and extended rebound in commodity prices. Yes, you will likely not see an XOM, COP or CVX in Laramie County because these companies have not shown much willingness to get involved in pure unconventional plays (and perhaps wisely so).

I too would prefer acreage in the PRB over the Bakken/Three Forks. Infrastructure already in place, more productive zones, lower transportation costs and drilling costs significantly less.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Expat_Poke wrote:

Laramie County was never much of a historical oil and gas producer (that's why it's a 'new frontier' for tight sands development). Well results are in, Laramie County will be a player with any significant and extended rebound in commodity prices. Yes, you will likely not see an XOM, COP or CVX in Laramie County because these companies have not shown much willingness to get involved in pure unconventional plays (and perhaps wisely so).

I too would prefer acreage in the PRB over the Bakken/Three Forks. Infrastructure already in place, more productive zones, lower transportation costs and drilling costs significantly less.
Any of that "new frontier" stuff spill over into Albany County?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Any of that "new frontier" stuff spill over into Albany County?
No, it does not. If I owned mineral interests in Albany County, I would probably be hopeful that the lands contained gold :lol:
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:When are you people going to understand that Wyoming will either play FBS Football or it won't play Football. It's a pretty foregone conclusion.
Except for the fact that the FBS probably won't be the FBS in a few years.
Based on how quickly the NCAA back-pedaled the whole satellite camp issue, I'd bet things remain pretty status quo for quite some time. Neither the NCAA nor the P5 really wants to invite a whole lot of scrutiny to the structure of College Football right now. They've gotten away with some tweaks along the way, but a whole new structure would probably result in a massive legal morass, even if they attempt to do something following extensive legal planning.

I agree that the landscape of College Football is likely to change, but more so as a result of changes to the NFL, the concussion issue, and NFL recruiting. Those issues will impact the money in College Football before anything else does.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/07/07/bil ... n-buffett/

For those in the know: I had read that the billionaire Phillip Anschutz was going to build a huge wind farm near Rawlins. Is this going forward? I haven't seen any news since last year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

bladerunnr wrote:http://cleantechnica.com/2015/07/07/bil ... n-buffett/

For those in the know: I had read that the billionaire Phillip Anschutz was going to build a huge wind farm near Rawlins. Is this going forward? I haven't seen any news since last year.
damn windmills.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote: Based on how quickly the NCAA back-pedaled the whole satellite camp issue, I'd bet things remain pretty status quo for quite some time. Neither the NCAA nor the P5 really wants to invite a whole lot of scrutiny to the structure of College Football right now. They've gotten away with some tweaks along the way, but a whole new structure would probably result in a massive legal morass, even if they attempt to do something following extensive legal planning.
Good point. All those non-P5 schools are in places with Senators and Congressmen, who could decide to re-visit the non-profit status of NCAA schools.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Expat_Poke wrote:

Did they find oil or gas west of Cheyenne, near Happy Jack area?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

phxpoke wrote: Did they find oil or gas west of Cheyenne, near Happy Jack area?
I'm sure some company has found limited amounts of oil/gas there at some point in time. But no, that is likely to be too far West for the current Codell play.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Sorry for the late bump, but was just thinking about this more...
Wyovanian wrote:TCU is microscopic compared to the other schools in the Big 12. So what's your point?
In those situations, it's a private school and/or situated in a large metro area.

If you look at FBS non-military public schools, the only ones smaller than Wyoming are Louisiana-Monroe and Louisiana Tech. That's it.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo