OT: Vandals to FCS

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Here we go..........
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Nobody better laugh unless your primary school is P5.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Nobody better laugh unless your primary school is P5.
Agreed, not just the University of Wyoming but the whole state is at a critical juncture. Funding is going to be a growing major major concern.

Coal is being displaced by gas for electric generation faster than anyone could have reasonably predicted (in 2007 coal accounted for 49% of the grid, in 2014 coal accounted for 39% of the grid, in 2015 coal accounted for 33%, in 2016 there is a belief it may fall into the 20s). The increased gas production is unlikely to come from Wyoming in any meaningful way to offest the loss of coal production (these Eastern wells really are that good). I'm not crying wolf, we have some serious funding concerns going forward even when commodity prices recover.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Idaho was dead last nationally in athletics revenue at the FBS level. $2 million clear of the second to dead last program. Wyoming makes more than double what they make. No comparison in financial issues.

U of I is going where it belongs.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

J-Rod wrote:Idaho was dead last nationally in athletics revenue at the FBS level. $2 million clear of the second to dead last program. Wyoming makes more than double what they make. No comparison in financial issues.

Not being a smartass or anything; I really mean this just as a question because I don't know. How much state money do they get that is counted as revenue compared with us? I can't remember, is our state money counted as revenue?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Nobody better laugh unless your primary school is P5.
Agreed, not just the University of Wyoming but the whole state is at a critical juncture. Funding is going to be a growing major major concern.

Coal is being displaced by gas for electric generation faster than anyone could have reasonably predicted (in 2007 coal accounted for 49% of the grid, in 2014 coal accounted for 39% of the grid, in 2015 coal accounted for 33%, in 2016 there is a belief it may fall into the 20s). The increased gas production is unlikely to come from Wyoming in any meaningful way to offest the loss of coal production (these Eastern wells really are that good). I'm not crying wolf, we have some serious funding concerns going forward even when commodity prices recover.
Well this sucks
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Idaho was dead last nationally in athletics revenue at the FBS level. $2 million clear of the second to dead last program. Wyoming makes more than double what they make. No comparison in financial issues.

Not being a smartass or anything; I really mean this just as a question because I don't know. How much state money do they get that is counted as revenue compared with us? I can't remember, is our state money counted as revenue?
As far as who gets subsidies....I can't speak for Idaho, but Wyoming is toward the bottom when it comes to MWC subsides.

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college ... /83184598/
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

That is a tad misleading when talking about how much money we get from the state as that includes all subsidies from the state, university and student body. How much of that $15.4 million comes from the state as opposed to student fees...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:That is a tad misleading when talking about how much money we get from the state as that includes all subsidies from the state, university and student body. How much of that $15.4 million comes from the state as opposed to student fees...
The State heavily subsidizes the costs of attendance for every student (hathaway, etc...). Because the State has kept cost of attendance affordable, we can charge these student fees and still attract the students. Not sure it really is misleading at all.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Well this sucks
It's not a rosy picture. WIth Arch Coal, Alpha Natural Resources and Peabody Energy all in bankruptcy (ch. 11)...that leaves Cloud Peak Energy as currently the sole survivor (for now).
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming makes serious revenue off football....enough to subsides some/most of the non revenue producing sports. Moving down would not be in our best interest as the revenue source would certainly dry up.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

unfortunately I think unless we become competitive more often, in the next 8-10 years this could be our fate, hope I'm wrong but the writing is on the proverbial wall
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote:unfortunately I think unless we become competitive more often, in the next 8-10 years this could be our fate, hope I'm wrong but the writing is on the proverbial wall
:rofl: :orly:
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

The talk by various schools of "dropping down," at least as it applies to football, is within the next 10 years, say, going to be overtaken by events. The issue isn't going to be FBS, FCS, etc., etc.....it's going to be a re-sorting of football programs among those who can compete against the semi-pro monster programs and those who can't (or don't want to).

The whole landscape is going to change in right now unpredictable ways.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

SnowyRange wrote:The talk by various schools of "dropping down," at least as it applies to football, is within the next 10 years, say, going to be overtaken by events. The issue isn't going to be FBS, FCS, etc., etc.....it's going to be a re-sorting of football programs among those who can compete against the semi-pro monster programs and those who can't (or don't want to).

The whole landscape is going to change in right now unpredictable ways.
I think the P5 leagues will do what they have to do to leave the NCAA and have a legitemate semi pro structure, pay for play and everything. Leaving G5 and FCS schools to do our own thing
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This all comes down to the ncaa and how they have failed in regard to college football.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

The NCAA gave way too much power to the conferences. That is and will be the downfall of college football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

stymeman wrote:unfortunately I think unless we become competitive more often, in the next 8-10 years this could be our fate, hope I'm wrong but the writing is on the proverbial wall
For starters, the only program that Idaho was D1 in was football, and that has been for a relatively short time. The only reason it's feasible for them is because it's recent history AND all of their other sports are in the Big Sky. Step back from the ledge, Mr. Little, and take all your friends with you...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: For starters, the only program that Idaho was D1 in was football, and that has been for a relatively short time.
What? The Big Sky is D1 in all sports but football. This sucks and hate to break it to you, but both the MWC and Big Sky were one bid leagues in basketball this year.