MWC expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

This topic has to keep coming up more and more often until another conference(s) does it to the MW

The Auto Adds:
Houston
BYU
Gonzaga
Wichita State

The prob adds:
Smu
utep
Denver
Long beach St
Pepperdine
San Fransisco

The ones to think about:
Tulane
Memphis
Rice
New Mexico st
Idaho
Seattle
Portland st
SLO
Cal Davis
St Mary's
Chaminade
Alaska
Fullerton
Tulsa
Lousiana Tech
Navy
Army

What would be the perfect Super Conference and divisions? Mine:

Wyoming/Denver/CSU/AFA
Houston/Tulane/Memphis/rice
New Mexico/nmsu/Wichita/Tulsa
BYU/Utah st/ Nevada/UNLV
Boise/Idaho/Gonzaga/Seattle
Long beach/Pepperdine/Hawaii/chaminade
Sjsu/Fresno/slo/San Diego st
Portland st/Alaska/San Fransisco/Davis

32 team basketball league. 5 or more bid league every year. 7+ many

great at all warm weather sports and many many other non revenue sports. Baseball, volleyball, track, gymnastics, swimming. On and on. Super power conference.

Then with football I want to see an 8 or hopefully 16 game playoff at the end of regular season in conference. I believe that is the only way to get a team in a playoffs is big exposure and 3-4 of the best games possible for them to close the season. Exposure in the new markets the conference enters into: Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, Tulsa, Denver, Utah valley, las cruces, Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Seattle, Portland, Spokane, Wichita.

MWC has to grab more market shares. Yeah right now some of these smaller schools don't actually control those markets viewers but they could grow to and the numbers are there.

If you don't want a super conference could you make an argument about trying to grab Gonzaga and Wichita state. Or BYU and Houston?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Rice and UTEP. The only school universities that were contacted by the MW in the last year. BYU doesn't want to come back. Everyone else is speculative at best.

MW will stand pat until (if) it gets raided. Period.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

J-Rod wrote:Rice and UTEP. The only school universities that were contacted by the MW in the last year. BYU doesn't want to come back. Everyone else is speculative at best.

MW will stand pat until (if) it gets raided. Period.
I agree.

Plus there are rumors that the Big Sky is still after New Mexico State and the Southland could go after them as well. So you can cross NMSU off the list besides UNM won't ever allow the MW to take the Aggies in anyway.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyoming3
Buckaroo

Gonzaga for basketball would be great but it would never happen. They would be a gem if we could ever lure them over. I could maybe see UVU and Denver eventually for everything other then football.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

another superconference, why not???? good more so for bball than football
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Even if we get poached of a few teams, I just don't see motivation for MWC expansion? There simply isn't any scenario that can increase our bottom line, byu included. Now, with that said, if byu wanted back in, I'm sure that the MWC brass would listen and likely go along with it, but the reality is that adding any team or combination of teams at this point will not improve the situation of the current MWC teams.

Without financial or other motivation, why jump? Our best TV deal is the one we have right now. Our next round of TV contracts, whether due to expansion or expiration of current contract, is going to be worse than what we have now. The only question is: how much worse?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Piling doo-doo deeper won't create enough compression to create diamonds.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Even if we get poached of a few teams, I just don't see motivation for MWC expansion? There simply isn't any scenario that can increase our bottom line, byu included. Now, with that said, if byu wanted back in, I'm sure that the MWC brass would listen and likely go along with it, but the reality is that adding any team or combination of teams at this point will not improve the situation of the current MWC teams.

Without financial or other motivation, why jump? Our best TV deal is the one we have right now. Our next round of TV contracts, whether due to expansion or expiration of current contract, is going to be worse than what we have now. The only question is: how much worse?
Exactly. I hate that we discuss expansion every couple months. There is nothing to add to bring enough value. There might be expansion but it won't be likely until our media contract negotiations and then I don't see anything being added. We act like the MW could just add any of these schools. Why would they come. THe best schools on that list are pretty comfortable where they are.

The only thing I disagree with is that our next contract will be worse. Still a lot of time between now and then and a lot of things to play out in the media NCAA realm. If the MW can get back to the top of the G5 I think we could get a better contract(not that much better). Not saying we will but it could end up lower or higher or around the same but I totally agree that there is most likely no one we can bring on that will raise the amount we are offered.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: The only thing I disagree with is that our next contract will be worse. Still a lot of time between now and then and a lot of things to play out in the media NCAA realm. If the MW can get back to the top of the G5 I think we could get a better contract(not that much better). Not saying we will but it could end up lower or higher or around the same but I totally agree that there is most likely no one we can bring on that will raise the amount we are offered.
I could be wrong on that but my assumption is based on primarily 2 thoughts.

1) Revenue for TV networks will decline somewhat. They will still bid to obtain rights to the P5 but will need to cut costs somewhere. I predict that the G5 will be sacrificed in preference of the P5. If the Big 10 doesn't get a big deal in the upcoming 2 years, look out. Our TV contract and byu's will be on the market at about the same time; it will be interesting to see.

2) I don't think our TV contract will increase which is an effective decrease. The costs for college athletics are sky rocketing. At this point, our TV money is somewhere around 4-5% of our budget (sans bonus money). I think that in our next round that no matter what happens, TV money will comprise a smaller portion of our budget.

If revenues stay the same or decline and costs increase, there are limited options to increase the budget without subsidies. The Sun Belt did it by kicking out Idaho and New Mexico State. I wonder if conference contraction will be more of a conversation than expansion in the future?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
TSpoke wrote: The only thing I disagree with is that our next contract will be worse. Still a lot of time between now and then and a lot of things to play out in the media NCAA realm. If the MW can get back to the top of the G5 I think we could get a better contract(not that much better). Not saying we will but it could end up lower or higher or around the same but I totally agree that there is most likely no one we can bring on that will raise the amount we are offered.
I could be wrong on that but my assumption is based on primarily 2 thoughts.

1) Revenue for TV networks will decline somewhat. They will still bid to obtain rights to the P5 but will need to cut costs somewhere. I predict that the G5 will be sacrificed in preference of the P5. If the Big 10 doesn't get a big deal in the upcoming 2 years, look out. Our TV contract and byu's will be on the market at about the same time; it will be interesting to see.

2) I don't think our TV contract will increase which is an effective decrease. The costs for college athletics are sky rocketing. At this point, our TV money is somewhere around 4-5% of our budget (sans bonus money). I think that in our next round that no matter what happens, TV money will comprise a smaller portion of our budget.

If revenues stay the same or decline and costs increase, there are limited options to increase the budget without subsidies. The Sun Belt did it by kicking out Idaho and New Mexico State. I wonder if conference contraction will be more of a conversation than expansion in the future?

1) You could very well be right. My counter argument would be that by cutting our deal it doesn't save the networks much money. We are a pretty good deal. So if they are forced to slash the money given to football conferences, even if they completely cut ours it wouldn't be a dent compared to cutting other conferences 20%(random number). I don't think it is our contract on the books that is killing them so they could leave ours relatively the same. Who knows though still a lot of time for things to happen.

2) I'll give you that. Good point
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

f-word BYU.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Somebody post Commissioner Thompson's response... God help us :roll:
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote: 1) You could very well be right. My counter argument would be that by cutting our deal it doesn't save the networks much money. We are a pretty good deal. So if they are forced to slash the money given to football conferences, even if they completely cut ours it wouldn't be a dent compared to cutting other conferences 20%(random number). I don't think it is our contract on the books that is killing them so they could leave ours relatively the same. Who knows though still a lot of time for things to happen.
Definitely wouldn't argue too loud on it. So hard to tell what will happen. You could be right and the big dogs could turn their noses at off nights. If you want CFB on a really late slot on Thursday or Saturday or if you want some games on off nights, G5 is a relatively cheap way to go.
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

I know football is what drives the bus, but I would really like to see us get to 12 schools for basketball somehow. If that is the Shockers, great. Denver would be another possibility. I don't think Gonzaga would ever make the move. As far as football goes, just stay where we are until we are forced to make a move. Even then, who in our conference is going anywhere? And if you have someone in mind, where are they going to go?