Coaches Hot Seat 2016... Where is Bohl?...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

If we go 2-10 again his seat better be very, very warm next year. Honestly I think 4-8 should begin to be warming up the seat as well. What if we go 4-8, then 4-8 again? Is that satisfactory? I think 5 wins this year is a reasonable expectation in terms of seeing a combination of progress and results to keep the seat cool. If a coach is worth a damn, you sure expect to see some significant improvement by the end of year 3 going into year 4. If we're getting blown out in the second half of conference season I'm going to have some serious concerns about the state of the football program (on top of what I already have).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Think it is more of the circumstances now with the budget cuts and the state not having as much money and Burman needing this coach to be successful more so than the last in the terms of the fact that he has already not had very good luck with his first couple of football coaching hires.

It will be funny though after the first six games to see what people wrote in here if we are 1-5 and have been blown out in 3 of those games. I imagine there will be plenty of people calling for Bohl's head at that point but since it is the off season no one cares right now because they have that hope in the back of their mind that things will be better.
I think there is a difference between personal opinion and prediction of "reality". Meaning, I predict circumstances other than on field performance will keep Bohl here through next year and likely the following regardless. As was pointed out above, I think any glimmer of hope in those 2 years will be enough for him to be here through at least an additional year (i.e. he'll likely be here at minimum 3 more seasons unless the next 2 seasons are absolutely atrocious).

Personally, I still think Bohl will get this done and the conversation will transition to how we keep him. I was frustrated with the approach of making us one of the worst FBS programs (that is another debate), but what happened is what happened. The youth excuse is largely gone now especially with a schedule where most teams rank in the bottom 1/3 of CFB. I believe they can identify and develop talent. That is what they sold us. I think we better start seeing signs of that this season and certainly next. Make no mistake, if this season is as bad as last, I'll be questioning the Bohl hire even though I know he will be here another year. If we are getting blown out of games with our schedule, it will be a really bad sign. Winning matters most, but the type of loss, IMO, also does, especially when building a program. If we are 1-5 and mostly competitive then that is different than 1-5 and getting shellacked in 4 or 5 games.

The only reason I sort of vacillate on this is because of how terrible the MWC is. Reality is that it shouldn't take that much to have 5-7 wins. No matter how you slice it, IMO, 5-7 wins isn't some sort of huge hurdle. So, I'm sort of willing to write off this season (i.e. no blow outs, obvious improvements, w-l not as important, etc.), but I also think we better damn well be in a bowl game the following year.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

I agree ragtime. It shouldn't too difficult to make large strides in our conference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

Bohl should have been ranked in the 80's on the hot seat list. His seat will be plenty warm at season's end if the Cowboys go 2-10 again with another FCS loss, a loss in Ypsilanti and he goes 0-5 in the mountain division again. Those three things absolutely cannot happen again.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

This comes from someone who has basically given up on Wyo. football. Not one poster mentioned what has to be the biggest concern for the Wyoming higher ups - attendance. If things go south and the stands are empty - like end of season UNLV empty - then I could see him being fired. The bar has been set so incredibly low for this guy it's incredible. This team has to make a GIANT leap just to be competitive. It's not going to happen. Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season. Until the administration is really serious about competing; spending money on quality coaches, this is a program that will be a perennial basement dweller.

BTW, you could argue DC took over a program that had even less talent than the one Bohl inherited. It certainly did on the offensive side. He brought in a true freshman qb and running back and got us to a bowl game. Does Bohl and his staff have that kind of potential? I haven't seen it.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote:This comes from someone who has basically given up on Wyo. football. Not one poster mentioned what has to be the biggest concern for the Wyoming higher ups - attendance. If things go south and the stands are empty - like end of season UNLV empty - then I could see him being fired. The bar has been set so incredibly low for this guy it's incredible. This team has to make a GIANT leap just to be competitive. It's not going to happen. Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season. Until the administration is really serious about competing; spending money on quality coaches, this is a program that will be a perennial basement dweller.

BTW, you could argue DC took over a program that had even less talent than the one Bohl inherited. It certainly did on the offensive side. He brought in a true freshman qb and running back and got us to a bowl game. Does Bohl and his staff have that kind of potential? I haven't seen it.
Or maybe your missing the initial build up of a much stronger foundation than DC created, with more pain early on, and more patience than fans are used to required.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

bladerunnr wrote:This comes from someone who has basically given up on Wyo. football. Not one poster mentioned what has to be the biggest concern for the Wyoming higher ups - attendance. If things go south and the stands are empty - like end of season UNLV empty - then I could see him being fired. The bar has been set so incredibly low for this guy it's incredible. This team has to make a GIANT leap just to be competitive. It's not going to happen. Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season. Until the administration is really serious about competing; spending money on quality coaches, this is a program that will be a perennial basement dweller.

Its easier to build an offense, especially like the one DC ran than it was to build a defense. DC was a great offensive coordinator who was way in over his head as a head coach. He had no talent on defense and special teams were nonexistent. I think Bohl has plenty of potential. Did you just miss the fact that the guy recruited the second overall pick in the draft to NDSU? I can respect Bohl because he came in with a plan and hasn't really deviated too much from it. He knew it was going to take time and could care less about what any outsider has to say.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

yopaulie wrote: Or maybe your missing the initial build up of a much stronger foundation than DC created, with more pain early on, and more patience than fans are used to required.
I like Craig Bohl and really, really want him to succeed like any other fan. That being said I believe the 2015 Wyoming Cowboys were the worst team in modern Wyoming football history. I think Vic's teams were better. If we're going to use constrution analogies, I'm concerened that regardless of how good of "foundation" Mr. Bohl is building, if you dig too big of a hole for your foundation it's not going to matter. I don't see how bottoming out and producing one of the all time worst seasons ever can be considered part of the plan.

Did Urban Meyer come to Ohio St. or Harbough at Michigan and say screw it, let's tear the whole thing down and historically suck for a couple of years and kill fan support to build a supposedly better foundation? No they came in and immediately improved the team. Obviously it's not a fair comparison to Wyomings situation but still it's food for thought.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

I doubt Bohl said lets suck really bad but he had a group of freshmen that he was willing to ride instead of bringing in quick fixes. Did he expect to suck that bad? I doubt it. I imagine he thought he'd still win a few more games but he wasn't willing to sacrifice one or two wins for the experience of a young core. I'm sure everyone thought it wouldn't be that bad, but it was.

Just win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

bladerunnr wrote:Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season.
I'm also a believer in recruiting rankings, to an extent. I agree that, based on recruiting classes, we aren't likely to topple BSU (unless they drop off substantially) in the next few years. I really wouldn't expect that regardless of the coach, but I do expect a 7+ win season in the first 4 years.

However, once you get down to the 2 star recruits, the rankings are much less "reliable". I think they've landed some pretty good players that other teams were also looking at. We landed some that didn't have many other options, but that is where talent evaluation comes in.

I agree 100% that last season was very concerning which is why this season is so important. The youth excuse is out the window for the most part. If this season even sort of resembles last, then a lot of people are going to be pretty skeptical.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your points of concern. I just personally don't put as much weight on those for predicting the long-term outcome though I readily admit they are signs of concern. When building a decent FBS program, there are very few examples that took over 4 years to get to 7+ wins. That is my personal gauge: 7+ win season in the first 4 years then relatively sustained 7+ win seasons with special seasons scattered in (i.e. rebuilding years or nearly undefeated years).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

One thing that Bohl and this staff should be very good at, possibly better than a lot of other D1 coaches, is talent evaluation. Especially when evaluating talent at a 2-star or less level. These guys were at NDSU where the thought of getting 3-star and higher recruits is laughable. So they had to be diligent at evaluating and then bringing in talent that others were overlooking. They obviously did a good job of it given their track record at NDSU. That has me hopeful that while Bohl and staff may not be pulling in super-high class rankings and not pulling in 4 and 5-star recruits, the ones they are pulling in are underrated and will develop in to something special.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season.
I'm also a believer in recruiting rankings, to an extent. I agree that, based on recruiting classes, we aren't likely to topple BSU (unless they drop off substantially) in the next few years. I really wouldn't expect that regardless of the coach, but I do expect a 7+ win season in the first 4 years.

However, once you get down to the 2 star recruits, the rankings are much less "reliable". I think they've landed some pretty good players that other teams were also looking at. We landed some that didn't have many other options, but that is where talent evaluation comes in.

I agree 100% that last season was very concerning which is why this season is so important. The youth excuse is out the window for the most part. If this season even sort of resembles last, then a lot of people are going to be pretty skeptical.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your points of concern. I just personally don't put as much weight on those for predicting the long-term outcome though I readily admit they are signs of concern. When building a decent FBS program, there are very few examples that took over 4 years to get to 7+ wins. That is my personal gauge: 7+ win season in the first 4 years then relatively sustained 7+ win seasons with special seasons scattered in (i.e. rebuilding years or nearly undefeated years).
A very well thought out post. The thing that concerns me is not that we lost games, but how we lost. I saw a team that was just pushed around on both sides of the ball. Also, after reading about having to recruit players all over again once they're here, I really question why it's necessary to recruit freshman instead of a bunch of JC's. At least once a JC is here, he probably is not leaving. I still think Brett had his best year at Wyo. as a freshman because he had Josh Doctson. Had he stayed, I wonder if things would have been different.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But to think Bohl shouldn't be on the hot seat is just mind boggling to me. I still maintain that attendance is going to be key if the team is bad again. If you're part of Bohl's first recruiting class and this is your 3d year in the program, at what point do you start to question his methods if the team sucks again?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

bladerunnr wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

A very well thought out post. The thing that concerns me is not that we lost games, but how we lost. I saw a team that was just pushed around on both sides of the ball. Also, after reading about having to recruit players all over again once they're here, I really question why it's necessary to recruit freshman instead of a bunch of JC's. At least once a JC is here, he probably is not leaving. I still think Brett had his best year at Wyo. as a freshman because he had Josh Doctson. Had he stayed, I wonder if things would have been different.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But to think Bohl shouldn't be on the hot seat is just mind boggling to me. I still maintain that attendance is going to be key if the team is bad again. If you're part of Bohl's first recruiting class and this is your 3d year in the program, at what point do you start to question his methods if the team sucks again?
Does Tic-Tac-Toe still stump you too? The guy's a third-season head coach. Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Or a Howdy Doody postgame outburst... :lol: :lol:
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Yup.

There are precious few programs that would -- barring scandal -- put a third-year coach on a hot seat. And we're not one of them.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Yup.

There are precious few programs that would -- barring scandal -- put a third-year coach on a hot seat. And we're not one of them.
And then there's the Fluffs down in Boulder. Give a coach maybe two years to turn around a system that has been going backwards for about as long as we have, and when he can't win 10 games in year two, give'em the boot! (and not the good one)