Coaches Hot Seat 2016... Where is Bohl?...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I just looked it up.

He is listed at #17.

http://coacheshotseat.com/

I figured he would be up there a bit but didn't think he would be all the way up to #17 yet. Guess it doesn't totally surprise me though. Hopefully he has a decent year this next year but I wonder what the magic number is for him to be canned or if he even would be assuming this next year is bad again.

I am more confident in this years team than last years but I won't be sold until I see us actually winning games. I did like his interview with Kevin. Maybe we will be surprised and win 6 games.

Do you guys believe he is listed too high on this list, too low or just about right considering all the circumstances?

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Way too high. Bohl will be back next year sans some major catastrophic event (sanctions, scandal, etc.).

This year has very little impact on Bohl's job security and rightfully so. Again, just so the fanboys don't jump all over anything, giving Bohl another year regardless of this year is the right thing to do.

Aside from the right thing to do, there are also a few other factors like the fact the state is in a huge budget crisis (firing/hiring is probably cost prohibitive), Bohl's job is likely tied to Burman's (meaning I doubt Burman will be in a huge rush to pull the firing trigger), etc.

Bohl's job this year is one of the more stable ones in all of CFB.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Way too high. Bohl will be back next year sans some major catastrophic event (sanctions, scandal, etc.).

This year has very little impact on Bohl's job security and rightfully so. Again, just so the fanboys don't jump all over anything, giving Bohl another year regardless of this year is the right thing to do.

Aside from the right thing to do, there are also a few other factors like the fact the state is in a huge budget crisis (firing/hiring is probably cost prohibitive), Bohl's job is likely tied to Burman's (meaning I doubt Burman will be in a huge rush to pull the firing trigger), etc.

Bohl's job this year is one of the more stable ones in all of CFB.

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying. I think he will at least win 4 or 5 games this year .

Lets say he wins 1 or 2 games though..... you still think he comes back again? Not sure our new president will fire the AD the first year on the job and like you say Burman and Bohls jobs are probably tied together quite a bit to a certain extent.

I also think he is a little too high on this list. I would put him more in the 30's or 40's range . I think he took over a bad situation and so much youth on last years team that I don't think it is fair to put him at #17. On the other hand we lost a couple of really bad games so I think it is fair that he is at least a little more than half way up the list.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

seattlecowboy wrote:
Lets say he wins 1 or 2 games though..... you still think he comes back again?
Honestly, I think he could go winless and still keep his job. I think the only impact this year has is how hot it makes his seat next year. If we win 3 games or fewer, his seat will be pretty dang warm.

If he wins 4-5 games, optimism will be boundless.

If he wins 6+ games, we'll sign him to a 50 year extension and he could be governor if he so chooses.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

Good stuff ragtime. I agree. He won't be judged until years 4 and 5 and they shouldn't be the 2 or 3 win variety. 5 wins in any of those season should buy him a 6th. What a shame though, it'd be nice to be thinking about 7 or 8 win seasons at the very least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:
Lets say he wins 1 or 2 games though..... you still think he comes back again?
Honestly, I think he could go winless and still keep his job. I think the only impact this year has is how hot it makes his seat next year. If we win 3 games or fewer, his seat will be pretty dang warm.

If he wins 4-5 games, optimism will be boundless.

If he wins 6+ games, we'll sign him to a 50 year extension and he could be governor if he so chooses.
Pretty much this. Bohl will be here in 2018 even if he goes 1-11 in 2016 and 2017
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Shouldn't even be on the list. It he isn't winning 6 games a season by year 4, then he should be on the list. And, if he is winning less than 6 games after year 5, he should move up that list.

Personally, I think we see a big improvement on the field this year.....and getting the program to where it needs to be (depth and solid play) by next season.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

has to go at least 5-7 or that seat will be white hot 2017
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

stymeman wrote:has to go at least 5-7 or that seat will be white hot 2017
I certainly hope not because I think that is the best case scenario on our record, and more likely 3 or 4 wins. If we fire Bohl after only 3 or 4 seasons our next hire will be very disappointing as there is no way we will get a decent coach; all the promising candidates will avoid UW like the plague, even if it is more money than they are making.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

I think having him on the hot seat is real premature. He hasn't even had a recruiting class that is draft eligible so to proclaim him as on the hot seat is very premature. It has been three drafts since he was hired and just some quick information on that. In those three drafts, NDSU has had 4 players selected in the 3 years with one being the second overall pick. Wyoming has had 3 players selected with none this year. Dave simply wasn't bringing in the talent to compete and that has affected Bohl's record. To proclaim him on the hot seat before his talent even has been allowed to play is absurd.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I would have him in the freezer. He is feeling no heat at this moment
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote:has to go at least 5-7 or that seat will be white hot 2017
No, no, no. This is just foolishness. :eek:
catsmeow
Buckaroo

Probably not the bad thing. I am sure Bohl would be the first to say that the product he put on the field wasn't up to snuff. Lets face it, EMU is likely the worst D1 team to ever come to Laramie and they kick our asses. I actually think the EMU loss was worse when compared to the D1AA loss. Things can't get worse right? Bohl's job is definitely safe unless Burman is canned, which a new president won't do.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Bohl is absolutely safe , even if he went with less than 3 wins the next two years. The breakout year is 2017, but another really tough schedule with Oregon and Iowa. He needs another year for Josh Allen and another year of recruiting, but 2017 we will be pushing 7 wins. Overall, he is good for a.minimum of Six years. Six years no matter what...that is a good thing.
LifeItself
Buckaroo

Glad to see most on here are level headed. I thought the millennials were the only non-practical, instant gratification generation.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Douglaspoke wrote:Bohl is absolutely safe , even if he went with less than 3 wins the next two years. The breakout year is 2017, but another really tough schedule with Oregon and Iowa. He needs another year for Josh Allen and another year of recruiting, but 2017 we will be pushing 7 wins. Overall, he is good for a.minimum of Six years. Six years no matter what...that is a good thing.
The sad thing is I was never worried about DC not wining less than 3 games any given season yet he was canned after 5. He won 5 games that year. That's the best case scenario for bohl this season according to some of you. He beat the sheep four years in a row. We went to two bowl games. But Bohl gets 6 no matter what?
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:
Douglaspoke wrote:Bohl is absolutely safe , even if he went with less than 3 wins the next two years. The breakout year is 2017, but another really tough schedule with Oregon and Iowa. He needs another year for Josh Allen and another year of recruiting, but 2017 we will be pushing 7 wins. Overall, he is good for a.minimum of Six years. Six years no matter what...that is a good thing.
The sad thing is I was never worried about DC not wining less than 3 games any given season yet he was canned after 5. He won 5 games that year. That's the best case scenario for bohl this season according to some of you. He beat the sheep four years in a row. We went to two bowl games. But Bohl gets 6 no matter what?
Think it is more of the circumstances now with the budget cuts and the state not having as much money and Burman needing this coach to be successful more so than the last in the terms of the fact that he has already not had very good luck with his first couple of football coaching hires.

It will be funny though after the first six games to see what people wrote in here if we are 1-5 and have been blown out in 3 of those games. I imagine there will be plenty of people calling for Bohl's head at that point but since it is the off season no one cares right now because they have that hope in the back of their mind that things will be better. So they are saying Bohl will get 6 years no matter what happens. He probably will get a couple more years but still will be funny to see some people pissed off calling for his head during the season when they are saying right now he should get 6 years.

That is one thing I have never understood is that during the off season we all predict the team to go 3-9,4-8 or 5-7 saying the team needs another year before they turn it around and it is no problem... but then when it actually happens during the season everyone gets fired up and wants the coach fired :lol: I'm as guilty of it as the next guy so not calling anyone else out just funny how us humans are. :thumb:

catsmeow
Buckaroo

Actually, it is a bit f-word up that we see the average so year of the DC era as success for year 3 of the bohl era. Kind poop saying DC left the cupboard bare. Roullier is going to be a draft pick, a Wick and May are good players, Maulhardt a& Gentry are great Wr, Yarbrough & Pulstasi beat out our current DEs. Bohl needs to make some progress or he is just a lying douche with unfilled promises of glory.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I find it hard to believe that if Bohl goes 2-10 in 2016 and 2-10 in 2017 that he returns as head coach in 2018. Last year was abysmal, that's the good news for Bohl. He has nowhere to go but up. Unfortunately, I think his defensive coordinator is a liability, and that unless Stanard can pull a rabbit out of his ass, Wyoming will struggle with wins simply because they cannot stop anybody on defense. That's Bohl's problem in a nutshell. He's hitched his wagon to Stanard and will only go as far as his defense can take him. I do think if this year is a repeat of last, Stanard hits the trail and Bohl goes looking for a new assistant coach. I'm hoping for marked improvement in all phases of the game this year. Whether that improvement translates to wins we will all find out this fall.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

seattlecowboy wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
Think it is more of the circumstances now with the budget cuts and the state not having as much money and Burman needing this coach to be successful more so than the last in the terms of the fact that he has already not had very good luck with his first couple of football coaching hires.

It will be funny though after the first six games to see what people wrote in here if we are 1-5 and have been blown out in 3 of those games. I imagine there will be plenty of people calling for Bohl's head at that point but since it is the off season no one cares right now because they have that hope in the back of their mind that things will be better. So they are saying Bohl will get 6 years no matter what happens. He probably will get a couple more years but still will be funny to see some people pissed off calling for his head during the season when they are saying right now he should get 6 years.

That is one thing I have never understood is that during the off season we all predict the team to go 3-9,4-8 or 5-7 saying the team needs another year before they turn it around and it is no problem... but then when it actually happens during the season everyone gets fired up and wants the coach fired :lol: I'm as guilty of it as the next guy so not calling anyone else out just funny how us humans are. :thumb:
Great post Seattle :thumb: I agree completely. For the record I'm not saying Bohl can't get the job done but last year was a surprise to me in a very bad way. After Bohl's first season I had a great feeling in the direction the program was going. We were a couple of bounces away from being BOHL eligible and that was with Captain Kirk at control of the offence and we had to play two top 5 opponents. We beat the living poop out of my second most hated team in the mountain west and saw our future and current superstar break a MWC record in his FIRST career start(same game). Now last year I understand we were young but even our young talent should not be losing to the likes of emu and that hockey school up north that doesn't have a name. But I'm just going to forget last year happened (except for Mr. Hill breaking the school record props young man) and look to this season.

I definitely see the program making a good leap this year. The offense in my opinion has the potential to be lethal. We have the best backfield in the league. A kid that is going to rewrite the wyo record books and take them for good at the rate he is running. We have a very solid receiving corp that will make smart plays and can beat you deep(arguably the best in the league). The o-line has gained some experience I don't believe we have any first year starters in that group. We wont have any 270 lbs. freshman guards starting anyway

It all comes down on the young qb that will be take the rains. How will he respond when he is facing that NIU defense that I assure you is not Eastern Michigan. How is this kid going to play when they are in Nebraska and 90000 people are screaming at the top of there lungs trying to rattle a young qb. Both of those games probably won't end with a poke w but I want to see a qb that shows no fear. The kid has all the physical attributes needed 6-5 230 can escape the pocket and definitely can beat you deep. But can he keep that composure. He has all the weapons around him just needs to make smart decisions.

The defense has me worried we may get pushed around quite a bit. I really don't know what to expect from the d as a whole but they at least are starting to look the part. I do know we have a safety that is damn good and will make some plays for us.

Back to the original post I definitely do not see this fan base being okay with another 2-10 season like what seattle said its all fine and dandy now but it was fine and dandy with DC those first few seasons as well with better success. Anyway lets hope the offense can score more points than 6 other teams a lets go bohling.