Coaches Hot Seat 2016... Where is Bohl?...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

One thing that Bohl and this staff should be very good at, possibly better than a lot of other D1 coaches, is talent evaluation. Especially when evaluating talent at a 2-star or less level. These guys were at NDSU where the thought of getting 3-star and higher recruits is laughable. So they had to be diligent at evaluating and then bringing in talent that others were overlooking. They obviously did a good job of it given their track record at NDSU. That has me hopeful that while Bohl and staff may not be pulling in super-high class rankings and not pulling in 4 and 5-star recruits, the ones they are pulling in are underrated and will develop in to something special.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season.
I'm also a believer in recruiting rankings, to an extent. I agree that, based on recruiting classes, we aren't likely to topple BSU (unless they drop off substantially) in the next few years. I really wouldn't expect that regardless of the coach, but I do expect a 7+ win season in the first 4 years.

However, once you get down to the 2 star recruits, the rankings are much less "reliable". I think they've landed some pretty good players that other teams were also looking at. We landed some that didn't have many other options, but that is where talent evaluation comes in.

I agree 100% that last season was very concerning which is why this season is so important. The youth excuse is out the window for the most part. If this season even sort of resembles last, then a lot of people are going to be pretty skeptical.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your points of concern. I just personally don't put as much weight on those for predicting the long-term outcome though I readily admit they are signs of concern. When building a decent FBS program, there are very few examples that took over 4 years to get to 7+ wins. That is my personal gauge: 7+ win season in the first 4 years then relatively sustained 7+ win seasons with special seasons scattered in (i.e. rebuilding years or nearly undefeated years).
A very well thought out post. The thing that concerns me is not that we lost games, but how we lost. I saw a team that was just pushed around on both sides of the ball. Also, after reading about having to recruit players all over again once they're here, I really question why it's necessary to recruit freshman instead of a bunch of JC's. At least once a JC is here, he probably is not leaving. I still think Brett had his best year at Wyo. as a freshman because he had Josh Doctson. Had he stayed, I wonder if things would have been different.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But to think Bohl shouldn't be on the hot seat is just mind boggling to me. I still maintain that attendance is going to be key if the team is bad again. If you're part of Bohl's first recruiting class and this is your 3d year in the program, at what point do you start to question his methods if the team sucks again?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

bladerunnr wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Bohl's simplistic game plan combined with terrible recruiting (look at where his classes have ranked in any major recruiting service) just guarantees another 2 win season.
I'm also a believer in recruiting rankings, to an extent. I agree that, based on recruiting classes, we aren't likely to topple BSU (unless they drop off substantially) in the next few years. I really wouldn't expect that regardless of the coach, but I do expect a 7+ win season in the first 4 years.

However, once you get down to the 2 star recruits, the rankings are much less "reliable". I think they've landed some pretty good players that other teams were also looking at. We landed some that didn't have many other options, but that is where talent evaluation comes in.

I agree 100% that last season was very concerning which is why this season is so important. The youth excuse is out the window for the most part. If this season even sort of resembles last, then a lot of people are going to be pretty skeptical.

I disagree with you, but I can understand your points of concern. I just personally don't put as much weight on those for predicting the long-term outcome though I readily admit they are signs of concern. When building a decent FBS program, there are very few examples that took over 4 years to get to 7+ wins. That is my personal gauge: 7+ win season in the first 4 years then relatively sustained 7+ win seasons with special seasons scattered in (i.e. rebuilding years or nearly undefeated years).
A very well thought out post. The thing that concerns me is not that we lost games, but how we lost. I saw a team that was just pushed around on both sides of the ball. Also, after reading about having to recruit players all over again once they're here, I really question why it's necessary to recruit freshman instead of a bunch of JC's. At least once a JC is here, he probably is not leaving. I still think Brett had his best year at Wyo. as a freshman because he had Josh Doctson. Had he stayed, I wonder if things would have been different.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. But to think Bohl shouldn't be on the hot seat is just mind boggling to me. I still maintain that attendance is going to be key if the team is bad again. If you're part of Bohl's first recruiting class and this is your 3d year in the program, at what point do you start to question his methods if the team sucks again?
Does Tic-Tac-Toe still stump you too? The guy's a third-season head coach. Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote: the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Or a Howdy Doody postgame outburst... :lol: :lol:
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Yup.

There are precious few programs that would -- barring scandal -- put a third-year coach on a hot seat. And we're not one of them.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Regardless of last season, the only thing that would put a third-year Wyoming Head Football Coach on a hot seat is if they're coaching a program full of felons.
Yup.

There are precious few programs that would -- barring scandal -- put a third-year coach on a hot seat. And we're not one of them.
And then there's the Fluffs down in Boulder. Give a coach maybe two years to turn around a system that has been going backwards for about as long as we have, and when he can't win 10 games in year two, give'em the boot! (and not the good one)