It's time for beer at the War

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

phxpoke wrote:I have been going to games since 1980, and have drank in the stadium the vast majority of those games. I would love to have my money go to UW instead of a liquor store. It's time for a change. Welcome to the 21 st century, UW!
Hallejullah, but like KFBC said yesterday, you can get it everywhere else, b4 and after but once you cross that ticket taker line, it turns into Ft Knox. With controlled status this can be done effectively and bringing extra $ to the University and extra advertising etc....
Time to wake up UW it's not 1955 anymore
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

McPeachy wrote:Every off season we discuss.

And nothing changes. Just regurgitated lip service.

Wyoming should have made this happen in 1975. Forty years later...uh, nope! We can't have those golly darn kids drinkin beer at the games, they may start another first down M Fer chant...and that just ain't polite and good ol boy like! Granny may fall out her rocker.

Then again, we are good followers...well, average followers. So maybe after all other schools in North America serve beer at their games we will finally consider it.

Ugh.
in response to the last sentence all other schools, we are alphabetically the last in the Union, everything gets to WYO last it seems, lol
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I graduated in 09 and you could still get beer (and tobacco products) at the union, you could even buy it using your meal plan flex dollars I believe... sorry dad... haha
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote:The interview/conversation was about receiving the funding from the state and the question was about what would happen if they didn't receive it but I don't believe they were only going to look at it IF we didn't receive the money. I believe they are looking into it. Not sure what they will decide but I believe there have been discussions going on about it regardless of state funding. It was just the context in which the topic was brought up.
I hope you're right, but have my doubts.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 119 times

SnowyRange wrote:But I don't understand this notion that not selling beer makes us backwards. We're in the large majority of colleges that don't sell beer at football games.
:lol:

Not selling beer doesn't necessarily make us backwards, but it sure makes us look like we have no ambition to do things differently than how we have always done them. Oh wait...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Not selling beer doesn't necessarily make us backwards, but it sure makes us look like we have no ambition to do things differently than how we have always done them.
Yep, I know what you think about that and I agree it's sometimes good to change things just for the sake of change, giving people something new.

On this topic, though, I can't shake this image of all those post-September games with a few thousand people standing around in what is essentially ice fishing gear, forlornly trying with a gloved fingertip to break the skim of ice on their cups of beer.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Of course it's time for beer at the War. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

It's also always beer:30, honky tonk time.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

SnowyRange wrote:
Not selling beer doesn't necessarily make us backwards, but it sure makes us look like we have no ambition to do things differently than how we have always done them.
Yep, I know what you think about that and I agree it's sometimes good to change things just for the sake of change, giving people something new.

On this topic, though, I can't shake this image of all those post-September games with a few thousand people standing around in what is essentially ice fishing gear, forlornly trying with a gloved fingertip to break the skim of ice on their cups of beer.
At least nobody will be complaining about the dreaded "warm beer" - like what they serve at Mulligan's, LOL!
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

McPeachy wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:

At least nobody will be complaining about the dreaded "warm beer" - like what they serve at Mulligan's, LOL!
I remember going to Mulligan's in 1996 and my beer was cold.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:

I remember going to Mulligan's in 1996 and my beer was cold.
20 years ago...LOL...that is awesome.

Maybe the reason it is warm now, they haven't changed equipment or serviced the compressors / chillers since!
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

This is an absolute failure for Tom Burman. When you're a cash strapped school like Wyoming, every revenue stream needs to be opened up and developed. I've been satisfied with Burman's performance since Sternberg held his nuts to the fire. I am not satisfied with the lack of alcohol sales. Can we afford to sacrifice any revenue streams, especially when the state raises hell every time the state contributes a dollar to athletics?

Part of being an A.D. is maximizing revenue without sacrificing the states values. Adding alcohol sales at games is not sacrificing Wyoming values. In fact, Wyoming is one of the heaviest drinking states in the country.

This means nothing to me personally, as I haven't drank in almost 5 years, but it is important for our athletics department. We need the increase to the budget.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Adding alcohol sales at games is not sacrificing Wyoming values. In fact, Wyoming is one of the heaviest drinking states in the country.
So you say.

But actually Wyoming government has a 1930s approach to alcohol and where it is sold and by whom. This is not something that any AD could snap his fingers and make happen. There's a whole political minefield to traverse here and, so far, as the legislature has been kicking in tens of millions of dollars to athletics, there's no reason to try to bulldoze through that minefield for another $250K a year, or whatever it is.

(And, I'm happy if they sell beer at the War. Seems completely fine to me. But it's not so simple.)