csu campaigning for b12 inclusion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

I read where csu has recently started campaigning for b12 inclusion via Gorden Gee. At first I was rolling, but upon further consideration, I think every MWC member should be doing the same. You think tommy 'n dem are preparing to follow suit, or do you think they're satisfied with our obscurity and (I believe) eminent relegation? Wyoming does have some positives to offer, albeit not any recent success on the field. I believe csu stands slightly more of a chance at making the b12 as we do (zero), but it somewhat refreshing seeing an administration with a vision/plan and the guts/ability to do something about it.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Strange that Gee is the spokesman. Wasn't he the president of CU then Ohio State? Where is he now?
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

This is the question: to be the best of the group of 5 or the everlasting homecoming game in big/pac 12? What is the end goal?
oumatt
Buckaroo

CSU should save their breath and money. Big XII doesn't want them. Cincy and Houston are in the lead. FedEx just made it interesting with their financial backing if Memphis is admitted. Memphis has deplorable facilities and campus.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote:Strange that Gee is the spokesman. Wasn't he the president of CU then Ohio State? Where is he now?
He's at wvu. Heading the exploratory committee. I imagine because wvu is on an island themselves.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

IMO, the only thing CSU is doing that Wyoming isn't,is wearing Gordon Gee knee pads. Our stadium is still going through upgrades as is the AA. How many new buildings on campus? Etc.

We also have a larger fan base than all MWC minus Boise. The only thing we don't have is a large market.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

evilpoke wrote:This is the question: to be the best of the group of 5 or the everlasting homecoming game in big/pac 12? What is the end goal?
P5 because of revenue and always having a shot at a natty. Fair question,though, and truly I doubt we have a plan for either. All that we've seen is a goal to finish in the top half (of a much weaker) MWC with a bunch of TBD's representing tactics. It's not working! Slap a Steamboat on it and the fans will take what they get and like it.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

oumatt wrote:CSU should save their breath and money. Big XII doesn't want them. Cincy and Houston are in the lead. FedEx just made it interesting with their financial backing if Memphis is admitted. Memphis has deplorable facilities and campus.
Maybe so but it makes a statement and gets on ESPN headlines. Can tell their goal to recruits. What are we doing to improve? Birthdays baby!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

oumatt wrote:CSU should save their breath and money. Big XII doesn't want them. Cincy and Houston are in the lead. FedEx just made it interesting with their financial backing if Memphis is admitted. Memphis has deplorable facilities and campus.
I keep hearing Houston is not ahead of CSU because of their location. The other Texas teams doesn't want the competition for market and recruits as they feel they already have some control of the Houston area in both.

Memphis, on the other hand, is probably more likely than either, and having FedEx sponsor them isn't hurting at all.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

good riddance it'd be neat to see the likes of Texas and TCU and OKLA whooping the sheep weekend in and out, LOL
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I hate csu, but I don't blame them for trying to get in Big 12. At least they are raising expectations. we have a lot of people on this board making fun of them for building a nicer stadium and trying to get into a bigger conference. A lot of people on this board do not get it. Some people here just have the expections of beating CSU and that makes for a great season. That is sad and embarrassing. instead of building a the wildcatter suites, Burman should have tried to get a dome built. He will regret this down the road. With only one university in this state, a dome could have been built with more ambitious leadership.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 119 times

This whole topic makes my blood boil. Clearly, some Wyoming fans need to get their heads out of their asses. More on this later...I have some interesting thoughts comparing us to CSewe. We are approaching 10 years of no vision and a do more with less mantra. And it stings...to see what real vision, hard work - long hours, high expectations and ambition has accomplished 60 miles south. Especially versus our apathetic blah outlook, because, hey, we are Wyoming tough. F that BS.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

I applaud CSU for their boldness and vision but at the end of the day - I can't see it happening. I'd say that the Big 12 would be more interested in Temple than CSU given the enormous Philadelphia television market.

The Big 12 needs to straighten out their infighting before anything else and that means getting Texas to stop acting like they own the league to themselves and continue to reap monster rewards with the Longhorn Network where they keep every bit of revenue generated.

A few years ago The Big 12 dealt with defections of course, however, at this juncture they'd better hope that Oklahoma isn't snooping around for a better deal someplace else as they're as pissed as anyone over the exclusive arrangement that Texas has within the conference. Before they get around to adding a few more teams they'd better pray they don't lose one first: Oklahoma.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

If Wyoming was smart, they would team up with CSU to go hire an outside marketing/spin firm to turn around and demonstrate how big the Denver market is, how big the wyoming / csu fan bases are, how much fragmented rural tv counts, and about every other good thing you can think of - and sell it to the big 12.

Wyoming and CSU would be a killer pair. Strong basketball, long rivalry in football. Tons of alumni in Colorado and nationwide.

Spin it. Market it. Sell it. Close the deal.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

WyoBrandX wrote:If Wyoming was smart, they would team up with CSU to go hire an outside marketing/spin firm to turn around and demonstrate how big the Denver market is, how big the wyoming / csu fan bases are, how much fragmented rural tv counts, and about every other good thing you can think of - and sell it to the big 12.

Wyoming and CSU would be a killer pair. Strong basketball, long rivalry in football. Tons of alumni in Colorado and nationwide.

Whoa whoa, that is way too genius of thinking... TB is spending too much time "sitting in his office thinking about ways to increase revenue"... Live look in... https://media.giphy.com/media/Fqz73QLFb5DC8/giphy.gif Now we've got a budget crisis... that's going to set us back 10 years because we're going to allow it to... man I feel bad for Bohl and Edwards
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

PokeOLoco wrote:
WyoBrandX wrote:If Wyoming was smart, they would team up with CSU to go hire an outside marketing/spin firm to turn around and demonstrate how big the Denver market is, how big the wyoming / csu fan bases are, how much fragmented rural tv counts, and about every other good thing you can think of - and sell it to the big 12.

Whoa whoa, that is way too genius of thinking... TB is spending too much time "sitting in his office thinking about ways to increase revenue"... Live look in... https://media.giphy.com/media/Fqz73QLFb5DC8/giphy.gif Now we've got a budget crisis... that's going to set us back 10 years because we're going to allow it to... man I feel bad for Bohl and Edwards
Why? Is there talk of the athletic budget being cut? I think both the AA phase #2 and High Altitude Training Center are going to being soon. Not sure how this is going to set us back. Of course the budget can be cut down the line. Adding liquor sales could help if that is the case.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

They're duped into thinking we have good leadership but we don't. I'm not saying it's going to set us back I'm just saying with the defeatist beggar mentality I don't feel confident we can rise and meet whatever monetary challenges come our way.

CSU, fiscal responsibility or not, has big dreams and big aspirations. Hopefully our president does too, she might since she's a ram through and through.

The Denver market is ours after CU but nobody would know that...football is the cash cow and CSU is building a brand new stadium and is winning a lot of football games. We're going 2-10.. takes the right hire, takes time to build it the right way.. I agree... but are we giving them the tools? They say yes to the public, but do they really feel that way? I don't know. We're consistently bringing home football recruiting classes ranked in the 90s. That's a fact. And expecting to turn that into the 40th and 50th best team.. you think it sounds like we're making progress, I think it's the same old poop different day. And we won a title and have had 1 tournament appearance in 13 years.. CSU has 2 or 3? So it's not like we're blowing them away in basketball.
Last edited by PokeOLoco on Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:This whole topic makes my blood boil. Clearly, some Wyoming fans need to get their heads out of their asses. More on this later...I have some interesting thoughts comparing us to CSewe. We are approaching 10 years of no vision and a do more with less mantra. And it stings...to see what real vision, hard work - long hours, high expectations and ambition has accomplished 60 miles south. Especially versus our apathetic blah outlook, because, hey, we are Wyoming tough. F that BS.
What is your idea of no vision? I see improvements to about every athletic facility in the past 10 year. I see that we hired a coach who won 3 consecutive titles in the FCS. Too me, that says we aren't content....but building program not only takes time, but it takes the right hire.

I'm sorry, but to me, CSU is only building an on campus stadium and sending brochures. They are catching up, not taking off. If CSU does get an invite, it will be because of Denver....and nothing else. We don't have a Denver...so that is why were aren't being considered.

On the playing field, the only thing CSU has done is beat us in football while we are going through a rebuild. They haven't touched us in basketball and our athletic infrastructure blows their away. But by all means continue to think CSU is all that and a bag of chips. I certainly won't.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

Good points, Dimes. I see a lot of improvements to our facilities. I wish we could make up ground in the coaches salaries department. CSU has been playing catch up and has closed the gap a bit.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I think both Peachy and Dimes have good points. We are doing a good job at upgrading facilities for our FB and BB teams, but we are still behind on other facilities, like a new swimming pool. The high altitude performance center will help most of our other programs, but the glaring one to me will still be the dungeon of a pool we have.

However, besides facilities and head coaches, McPeachy has a point. We are lacking vision in a multitude of areas, the most prominent one being sources of revenue not named "State of Wyoming". We have talked on here ad nauseam about several areas for additional funds that have yet to be tapped by the current administration.

We also are woefully behind in assistant coach salaries. In 2015, of the FBS football staffs whose assistant salaries are less than UW's, the only programs that aren't MAC, Sun Belt, or Conference USA are San Jose State and Utah State (possibly Hawaii as their numbers aren't available). That's 80+ schools who assistant salary pool is higher than UW.

Finally, public opinion of the athletic department is going downhill fast. It took TB WAY too long to respond to critics during the legislative period on why the department needs the matching funds. The department needs to do a better job of informing the public of what we have, what we need, and why and how (not TBD) we need the money to get there. Someone also needs to publish a report showing why dropping to FCS is an insane proposal so that people will stop suggesting it.