csu campaigning for b12 inclusion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Lol we are blowing them away in bball there is nothing better about sheep basketball compared to the pokes.

National titles Wyo 2 Csu ha

Conference titles Wyo 24 Csu 3...in there history also have been playing ball 4 years longer.

tourney Wyo 15 Csu 10

MWC titles reg/tourney Wyo 3 Csu 1

Border War 133-92 WYO

2015 was the most wins Csu had in a season. We beat them twice and didn't trail at any point in those games.

5 straight wins and we demoralized them in moby last year bad!

The AA vs Moby is not even close either. I would take the 1985 version of the AA over an upgraded Moby anyday!!

I also agree about the Denver market we have a ton of fans there. Just take a stroll through Denver and you will see more steamboat logos then sheep heads on cars with Colorado plates. Yeah they are building a new stadium but it's not like they are building the next US Bank stadium. Its going to be pretty basic for the most part. They probably will sell out the first game there but are they going to be able to fill it up every week?

Not saying we don't need to look in mirror and be more progressive but some of you guys make csu sound like they are Stanford or something.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

poke_addict wrote: I also agree about the Denver market we have a ton of fans there. Just take a stroll through Denver and you will see more steamboat logos then sheep heads on cars with Colorado plates.
Maybe I just have bad luck, but I probably see 5 CSU logos for every Wyoming one when I'm in Denver. Thankfully where I am, I see way more CU ones than CSU, at least, but there's still more CSU than Wyoming in Boulder County as well.

Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of sending a sheep flying yesterday in a soccer game in Boulder. Apparently he felt it was cold because he wore a Ram shirt underneath his jersey. He also whined the whole game long as apparently the entire universe was against him because we played him physical?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
poke_addict wrote: I also agree about the Denver market we have a ton of fans there. Just take a stroll through Denver and you will see more steamboat logos then sheep heads on cars with Colorado plates.
Maybe I just have bad luck, but I probably see 5 CSU logos for every Wyoming one when I'm in Denver. Thankfully where I am, I see way more CU ones than CSU, at least, but there's still more CSU than Wyoming in Boulder County as well.

Speaking of which, I had the pleasure of sending a sheep flying yesterday in a soccer game in Boulder. Apparently he felt it was cold because he wore a Ram shirt underneath his jersey. He also whined the whole game long as apparently the entire universe was against him because we played him physical?
Definitely bad luck.....CU logos are plentiful....CSU's aren't . They do have a license plate, so that helps.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

Definitely bad luck.....CU logos are plentiful....CSU's aren't . They do have a license plate, so that helps.
I'm pretty sure I subconsciously count the plates as well. The ugly logo is still there, after all.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

poke_addict wrote:Lol we are blowing them away in bball there is nothing better about sheep basketball compared to the pokes.

Conference titles Wyo 24 Csu 3...in there history also have been playing ball 4 years longer.

tourney Wyo 15 Csu 10

Border War 133-92 WYO
None of this ^^ matters...it isn't what you did 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 years ago. It is "what have you done the last 5, and where are you going."

CSewe positioned themselves. They had (or have) vision. Volleyball, Women's Hoops, Men's Hoops, and Football...all have varied levels of solid success the last 5 years, or better.

Don't get me wrong, I could give a poop about Volleyball and Women's Hoops...but if I was looking at the big picture / future / vision, I would say CSewe is positioned to compete in a P5 conference, better than we are right now. That is all.

And it makes me ill.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
poke_addict
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
poke_addict wrote:Lol we are blowing them away in bball there is nothing better about sheep basketball compared to the pokes.

tourney Wyo 15 Csu 10

Border War 133-92 WYO
None of this ^^ matters...it isn't what you did 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 years ago. It is "what have you done the last 5, and where are you going."

CSewe positioned themselves. They had (or have) vision. Volleyball, Women's Hoops, Men's Hoops, and Football...all have varied levels of solid success the last 5 years, or better.

Don't get me wrong, I could give a poop about Volleyball and Women's Hoops...but if I was looking at the big picture / future / vision, I would say CSewe is positioned to compete in a P5 conference, better than we are right now. That is all.

And it makes me ill.
The only program that is consistently better then ours is volleyball I will give them that. But I just don't see what you are seeing with CSU. Why doesn't CSU bring as big of a fanbase to vegas every year (its not even close) I can tell you why no one cares about CSU sports! I know for a fact there are more COLORADO residents going to tourney with a steamboat logo on their shirt then sheep heads. Why the hell do the Colorado Rockies have University of WYOMING night every year Because they know there is a huge following of pokes fans in the area. They have one 10 win season in football and they're B12 caliber. No way...They had to build a new stadium because most high school stadiums were nicer then that poop hole in Ft. Collins. What have they done? hire some campaign manager? Where the hell are they going? I haven't seen them raise any banners in football or basketball lately either.

I read somewhere its not about how many people actually watch the tv broadcast its the market who buys the tv packages that include the particular channel. You don't think if Wyoming were to get a B12 invite we couldn't work deals with Denver broadcasting stations. We at least had a game on altitude last year in bball and It was against New Mexico state. Csu can't say the same thing.

I will agree that at least they are trying to get an invite more than we can say. I also agree that this CSU talk makes my blood boil peachy. Maybe we the fans should start our own campaign.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

I'm pretty sure I subconsciously count the plates as well. The ugly logo is still there, after all.
I very well could just have biased eyes guys. I can spot a steamboat logo from miles away lol
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

poke_addict wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

tourney Wyo 15 Csu 10

Border War 133-92 WYO

And it makes me ill.
The only program that is consistently better then ours is volleyball I will give them that. But I just don't see what you are seeing with CSU. Why doesn't CSU bring as big of a fanbase to vegas every year (its not even close) I can tell you why no one cares about CSU sports! I know for a fact there are more COLORADO residents going to tourney with a steamboat logo on their shirt then sheep heads. Why the hell do the Colorado Rockies have University of WYOMING night every year Because they know there is a huge following of pokes fans in the area. They have one 10 win season in football and they're B12 caliber. No way...They had to build a new stadium because most high school stadiums were nicer then that poop hole in Ft. Collins. What have they done? hire some campaign manager? Where the hell are they going? I haven't seen them raise any banners in football or basketball lately either.

I read somewhere its not about how many people actually watch the tv broadcast its the market who buys the tv packages that include the particular channel. You don't think if Wyoming were to get a B12 invite we couldn't work deals with Denver broadcasting stations. We at least had a game on altitude last year in bball and It was against New Mexico state. Csu can't say the same thing.

I will agree that at least they are trying to get an invite more than we can say. I also agree that this CSU talk makes my blood boil peachy. Maybe we the fans should start our own campaign.
They also do this for CU, CSU, AFA and Nebraska...
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Let's see..we are going into our 4th year.
Last meeting we had nearly 50 for breakfast @ Cowboys in Colorado. The next meeting is June 25 @ Johnson's Corner. I-25, exit 254. In the shadows of Fort Collins and CSU.We expect another capacity meeting. Cowboys in Colorado as a group is also a member of the Cowboy Joe Club. Don't think CSU Is doing this anywhere in Wyoming.
Visit us at www.cowboysinColorado.com and on facebook.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:I read somewhere its not about how many people actually watch the tv broadcast its the market who buys the tv packages that include the particular channel. You don't think if Wyoming were to get a B12 invite we couldn't work deals with Denver broadcasting stations. We at least had a game on altitude last year in bball and It was against New Mexico state. Csu can't say the same thing.
It's not about working a deal with Denver broadcasting stations, it's if Denver cable companies would pick up whatever package the Big XII offers. That would be a lock if CSU joined. While it's possible they'd pick it up if Wyoming joined, it's far from a guarantee...and that's what the Big XII is probably looking for.

I actually wonder if our presence in Oklahoma recruiting would make it less likely for any Big XII move. If we're already picking up some of their better recruits as a G5, just think what might happen if we were in the same conference. OU and OSU might not like that.

I'd put money on the AAC schools joining the Big XII before they start raiding the Mountain West.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
poke_addict
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

tourney Wyo 15 Csu 10

Border War 133-92 WYO

And it makes me ill.

They also do this for CU, CSU, AFA and Nebraska...
Exactly my point why the hell would they add the lowly Wyoming school with the LOCAL colleges and I was not aware they did it for Nebraska, But still they have more fans then CU and CSU combined. We had an amazing showing for that night as well. I tried finding specific stats about those nights but came up short
poke_addict
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
poke_addict wrote:I read somewhere its not about how many people actually watch the tv broadcast its the market who buys the tv packages that include the particular channel. You don't think if Wyoming were to get a B12 invite we couldn't work deals with Denver broadcasting stations. We at least had a game on altitude last year in bball and It was against New Mexico state. Csu can't say the same thing.
It's not about working a deal with Denver broadcasting stations, it's if Denver cable companies would pick up whatever package the Big XII offers. That would be a lock if CSU joined. While it's possible they'd pick it up if Wyoming joined, it's far from a guarantee...and that's what the Big XII is probably looking for.

I actually wonder if our presence in Oklahoma recruiting would make it less likely for any Big XII move. If we're already picking up some of their better recruits as a G5, just think what might happen if we were in the same conference. OU and OSU might not like that.

I'd put money on the AAC schools joining the Big XII before they start raiding the Mountain West.
I just don't understand how it's not based on ratings. I need to do some more research on these tv packages because the whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Aren't most B12 games carried by networks that are broadcasted nationally?
poke_addict
Cowpoke

Update on the new stadium by the way https://twitter.com/KellyLyell/status/7 ... 8504607744
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

poke_addict wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

I just don't understand how it's not based on ratings. I need to do some more research on these tv packages because the whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Aren't most B12 games carried by networks that are broadcasted nationally?
I think it's something to do with how many people are cutting cable and streaming games instead. And yes B12 currently has a deal with ESPN and Fox, but I believe that deal expires in the next few years and know that some of the schools (about everyone outside of Austin) wants to look at a Big 12 Network, like what the SEC, B10 and PAC have
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I hate to throw a wet blanket on the thinking that CSU, and Wyoming, are going to be an addition to the Big XII.

Here's a little statistic that should put all of those hopes and fears to bed.

Average home attendance for both schools in the past 6 years (it was too depressing to go back any further):

2015 CSU - 24,917 WYO - 18,060
2014 CSU - 26,575 WYO - 19,599
2013 CSU - 18,600 WYO - 19,476
2012 CSU - 19,250 WYO - 22,162
2011 CSU - 21,867 WYO - 22,182
2010 CSU - 22,400 WYO - 20,791

Now, I am as big a homer as you can find, but with pitiful home attendance numbers like these, I don't see why the big boys would come courting good old WYO or CSU. WYO has no television market, no mass hysteria around our undefeated seasons and no sell out crowds for home games, so what good would it do to add us? The same goes for CSU. You can build a new stadium, but if you can only put 20,000 asses in the seats, it is still like putting lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig, er, a sheep. While I think it is important to put money into the athletic department, I think we need to compete in the MWC before we start thumping our chests and saying we need to be in the Big XII.

By the way, the "build it and they will come" can sometimes be a risky proposition. CSU maybe should take a look at this and then see if they really want to spend that money on a team that historically can't draw big crowds.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2 ... arking-lot

:twocents:
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:I just don't understand how it's not based on ratings. I need to do some more research on these tv packages because the whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Aren't most B12 games carried by networks that are broadcasted nationally?
Look at the most recent changes to the Big Ten...Rutgers and Maryland aren't big ratings boosts and weren't the best fits on the field, but the important thing for them was getting into the DC and NYC markets. If the Big XII wants to get back in the Denver market, they'll give CSU a call.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
poke_addict wrote:I just don't understand how it's not based on ratings. I need to do some more research on these tv packages because the whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Aren't most B12 games carried by networks that are broadcasted nationally?
Look at the most recent changes to the Big Ten...Rutgers and Maryland aren't big ratings boosts and weren't the best fits on the field, but the important thing for them was getting into the DC and NYC markets. If the Big XII wants to get back in the Denver market, they'll give CSU a call.
I'll agree with Josh's example here. I follow a lot of Big Ten and everyone in the conference hates having Rutgers added,but they did it because of the New York TV market. And ratings aren't really factored in because no one in NYC gives a crap about Rutgers; they suck in football and basketball and draw poop crowds, the ONLY reason they were added was their market.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Prior to Burman, UW's athletic budget was greater than CSU's. That has changed. In the most recent history, they have also performed better as an athletic department than UW. IMO, without looking at all the records, I think that CSU has demonstrated clear and measurable progress in the last 5 years with regards to actual wins and losses.

WYO has been more fiscally conservative which I think probably matches the vision of the University, the State, and the fans. WYO is trying to emulate a usu by overachieving with respect to budget. CSU is trying to spend money to make money. They are definitely trying to get off the sinking MWC boat; we approach it with the reality that the MWC or whatever life-boat emerges from the wreckage is our vessel for the duration.

The thought or notion of WYO to the Big12 is nothing short of ridiculous. CSU's chances rank right up there with getting struck by lightning. They are working to improve their odds.

The Denver DMA will never be counted in WYO's corner. DMAs are what TV execs sell to advertisers. If the ratings slip (ala 1st round of playoff), then TV execs do various comps to make that up to advertisers. There is not some mythical large WYO fanbase waiting to be tapped in to. With an undergrad enrollment of approximately 10K and a state population of approximately 500K, we are just too limited. If you took every undergrad for the past 100 years + every person in the state of WYO and put them in front of a TV to watch a game, you'd have about 1 to 1.5 M pairs of eyeballs. That would rank right up there with advertising during reruns of poker.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Tue May 17, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

If Wyoming were to enclose our stadium and dome it and then get a winning tradition going (like winning MWC championships and filling our stadium on a regular basis), our chances would increase 10 fold.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:If Wyoming were to enclose our stadium and dome it and then get a winning tradition going (like winning MWC championships and filling our stadium on a regular basis), our chances would increase 10 fold.
They would increase.....but we still don't have a large TV market. I don' t think a P5 conference will just take anybody. They will only take who brings something to the table. There are about 3 or 4 programs who do...none are in the MWC.