Funding secured for HAPC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
poke_addict wrote:My biggest concern is we keep throwing money at the football team and see no results. To be spending that kind of money we better be seeing results much greater than a MWC title.
If I remember right, this project is for much more than just the football team
If I remember right it is almost more for the Olympic sports than for football. Sure, it will benefit football, but it will have a much more significant impact on our other sports. Hell, it's a high-altitude training center, football is one of the least aerobic sports in the department, thus less advantage from altitude training.
You guys are right all athletes will get to eat there. They will also able to train there as well but it will be around the football teams schedule. The majority of the building will be football only as well. The football team is getting upgrades to all of the amenities they had in the RAC. So a bigger locker room, team lounge, coaches offices, team film/war room, individual position film rooms, their own training room. No other teams will be housed in this facility. Its being designed for football training.

It's Laramie every where you go is high altitude there isn't going be any extra training advantage from what the RAC already was. They already had state of the art equipment in that building. The biggest plus to this building is the training table. If anything it should help with recruiting rather than actual training. Which I hope it does.

So yes all athletes will get to use it but football is the only one with full access to the building. So of the 15 varsity sports, 14 teams will have access and share half the building. While one team has dibs on the whole building. All athletes utilized the RAC but it was the football teams home.
Athletic training room. And where did you hear this from? UW doesn't have enough resources or athletic trainers to have football be truly independent from the other sports as far as sports medicine is concerned.

As for the altitude training aspect, I was led to believe that the upgrade will allow for specific training areas/techniques that can utilize the fact that UW is at 7220 feet, we are also going to be able to use it to let in outside athletes to train.
If I am being honest I didn't hear anything about an extra training room for the football team but they will make it more convenient to the football team over anything else. You are the sports medicine guy so I'm not going to argue about the resources needed for Division 1 athletics. I really want to look at the prints for this project to get a better feel of what's going on.

I have a feeling that a lot of the extra training space will be designed for football but other athletes will be able to use as well. For example I could see one of those turf hills being installed inside the building.

I don't what kind of high altitude equipment is out there or if there is even a thing. So you might know some things I don't.

As far as outside athletes are you talking non student athletes. Because if we could convince some Olympic athletes to come and train at this facility I believe that would be recruiting advantage not many other schools could say they have. Also any of our pokes in pro's might consider coming in the off season's. If of course that isn't against NCAA rules somehow.

You guys are talking about revenue generating with this facility please enlighten me.

It's not like I'm not excited about this facility being built I just have a feeling this facility is the reason the AA was downgraded and where some of that money went. This building got funded because of football and that's that. My whole argument goes back to football in general for example if Bohl got to a bowl game this year I could see them extending his contract that day. Let's say Edwards won the MWC outright this year then it wouldn't be as smooth of a process and that pisses me off big time. Show all the team's as much love PLEASE. Give all the teams what they need to be the best. This facility if used right could be a start.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
poke_addict wrote:My biggest concern is we keep throwing money at the football team and see no results. To be spending that kind of money we better be seeing results much greater than a MWC title.
If I remember right it is almost more for the Olympic sports than for football. Sure, it will benefit football, but it will have a much more significant impact on our other sports. Hell, it's a high-altitude training center, football is one of the least aerobic sports in the department, thus less advantage from altitude training.
You guys are right all athletes will get to eat there. They will also able to train there as well but it will be around the football teams schedule. The majority of the building will be football only as well. The football team is getting upgrades to all of the amenities they had in the RAC. So a bigger locker room, team lounge, coaches offices, team film/war room, individual position film rooms, their own training room. No other teams will be housed in this facility. Its being designed for football training.

It's Laramie every where you go is high altitude there isn't going be any extra training advantage from what the RAC already was. They already had state of the art equipment in that building. The biggest plus to this building is the training table. If anything it should help with recruiting rather than actual training. Which I hope it does.

So yes all athletes will get to use it but football is the only one with full access to the building. So of the 15 varsity sports, 14 teams will have access and share half the building. While one team has dibs on the whole building. All athletes utilized the RAC but it was the football teams home.
Athletic training room. And where did you hear this from? UW doesn't have enough resources or athletic trainers to have football be truly independent from the other sports as far as sports medicine is concerned.

As for the altitude training aspect, I was led to believe that the upgrade will allow for specific training areas/techniques that can utilize the fact that UW is at 7220 feet, we are also going to be able to use it to let in outside athletes to train.
If I am being honest I didn't hear anything about an extra training room for the football team but they will make it more convenient to the football team over anything else. You are the sports medicine guy so I'm not going to argue about the resources needed for Division 1 athletics. I really want to look at the prints for this project to get a better feel of what's going on.

I have a feeling that a lot of the extra training space will be designed for football but other athletes will be able to use as well. For example I could see one of those turf hills being installed inside the building.

I don't what kind of high altitude equipment is out there or if there is even a thing. So you might know some things I don't.

As far as outside athletes are you talking non student athletes. Because if we could convince some Olympic athletes to come and train at this facility I believe that would be recruiting advantage not many other schools could say they have. Also any of our pokes in pro's might consider coming in the off season's. If of course that isn't against NCAA rules somehow.

You guys are talking about revenue generating with this facility please enlighten me.

It's not like I'm not excited about this facility being built I just have a feeling this facility is the reason the AA was downgraded and where some of that money went. This building got funded because of football and that's that. My whole argument goes back to football in general for example if Bohl got to a bowl game this year I could see them extending his contract that day. Let's say Edwards won the MWC outright this year then it wouldn't be as smooth of a process and that pisses me off big time. Show all the team's as much love PLEASE. Give all the teams what they need to be the best. This facility if used right could be a start.
From what I understand, as a donor, you choose what you want your money to go toward. If you send donations for the AA, they will be matched and used on the AA. If you sent money to fund the HATC, your money, matched, will be used to build the HATC. There is no taking from one project and allocating to another. That isn't happening.

It is a revenue producer when those outside of the university want to come and train at the HATC.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

From what I understand, as a donor, you choose what you want your money to go toward. If you send donations for the AA, they will be matched and used on the AA. If you sent money to fund the HATC, your money, matched, will be used to build the HATC. There is no taking from one project and allocating to another. That isn't happening.

It is a revenue producer when those outside of the university want to come and train at the HATC.
I don't get to sit in on these meetings when money is being discussed. They may tell you one thing but do the complete opposite. It happens everyday in this world we live in. So I really don't know the truth can only speculate.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

No doubt. But when you have a large donor deciding where to put his money, the AD or his cronies sure as hell can point the donor in the direction they wish to fund. I think that was the point, that donors were steered towards the HATC versus fulfilling the fundraising for the AA.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

No doubt. But when you have a large donor deciding where to put his money, the AD or his cronies sure as hell can point the donor in the direction they wish to fund. I think that was the point, that donors were steered towards the HATC versus fulfilling the fundraising for the AA.
If the money wasn't earmarked, then I could see the issues of favoring one over another.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Well they completed the fundraising for the AA then they began fundraising for the HATC. It turned out the AA costs went way up and they didn't have enough money. I don't know if they tried to raise any more money afterwards or not. Or if they tried to get money from the state and the state told them no due to the current budget environment. I don't know what they did or didn't do to try to get more money for the AA but it is completely separate from the HATC.

I was disappointed with the AA remodel downgrade but think it will still be really nice and I never thought we needed suites in the AA so I am fine with losing those.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

No doubt. But when you have a large donor deciding where to put his money, the AD or his cronies sure as hell can point the donor in the direction they wish to fund. I think that was the point, that donors were steered towards the HATC versus fulfilling the fundraising for the AA.[/quote]
If the money wasn't earmarked, then I could see the issues of favoring one over another.[/quote]

Earmarked? The donor picks the project they are funding. I am saying the AD has influence in directing said donor to pick the HATC or AA. The AD doesn't divert funds or any such thing, but certainly can direct a donor to earmark their funds to his pet project.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

I agree that I would love to see the blueprints and see what all is entailed and what the finished product would look like. I could definitely see the football team using the new facilities more, especially sports medicine. It makes sense, they are your largest team AND the team with the biggest sports medicine need, so they are going to bogart a large amount of your time and resources.

As for the facilities being used by others, that was one of the original selling points. They would market it to high-caliber athletes to come to elevation and train, it would be great for endurance athletes such as cyclists, long distance runners, etc.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

[/quote]

Well they completed the fundraising for the AA then they began fundraising for the HATC. It turned out the AA costs went way up and they didn't have enough money. I don't know if they tried to raise any more money afterwards or not. Or if they tried to get money from the state and the state told them no due to the current budget environment. I don't know what they did or didn't do to try to get more money for the AA but it is completely separate from the HATC.

I was disappointed with the AA remodel downgrade but think it will still be really nice and I never thought we needed suites in the AA so I am fine with losing those.[/quote]

They costs for Phase II came in 3 million over what had been projected and raised. There was no effort to raise the additional funds at that point because the HATC had already surpassed the AA remodel on the AD's priority list. Wish we would have completed the AA remodel as shown in the first renderings and plans, minus the club seating or club area. We can do without that.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

So, I wish they'd say what all "training" facilities they're going to have in this thing. It seems like it's a new training facility in name only and it's just an expansion of a current building. Bigger weight room? Blah. What are the supposed training facilities these Olympians going to utilize? They going to stay in a hotel the whole time? Seems like you'd need more of a high altitude Olympic village with condos and such to truly become some sort of high altitude destination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Make no mistake, this building is for Wyoming football. There's not going to be some influx of Croatian Olympic runners coming to train here, or Jamiacan bobsled teams. It was originally marketed as that kind of thing but at this point it is clearly and blatantly a football-centric facility. No doubt other UW teams will utilize it but it's not going to be some revenue-generating, Olympic training center destination.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

calpoke25 wrote:Make no mistake, this building is for Wyoming football. There's not going to be some influx of Croatian Olympic runners coming to train here, or Jamiacan bobsled teams. It was originally marketed as that kind of thing but at this point it is clearly and blatantly a football-centric facility. No doubt other UW teams will utilize it but it's not going to be some revenue-generating, Olympic training center destination.
:coffee:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I'm very grateful for the upgrades. I am. However, the ironic thing is that the more we've spent on buildings, the worse our records have been.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

calpoke25 wrote:Make no mistake, this building is for Wyoming football. There's not going to be some influx of Croatian Olympic runners coming to train here, or Jamiacan bobsled teams. It was originally marketed as that kind of thing but at this point it is clearly and blatantly a football-centric facility. No doubt other UW teams will utilize it but it's not going to be some revenue-generating, Olympic training center destination.
Evanston sponsors the Jamaican bobsled team which is really awesome. They have since the 2002 Olympics which they helped with housing and give them access to the local rec center. They are also only 45 minutes away from Park City where they can actually practice runs. They seem to really like Wyoming but no chance they would leave Evanston. That town Loves them and just makes sense for them to be there.

I agree its going to be Just a much bigger version of the RAC. A football facility that other athletes will get to use just like before. I do like the sound of outside athletes coming in but I feel like UW or the city of Laramie would have to sponsor them to get here. Kind of like what lax said we would need more facilities to draw those kind of athletes to Laramie. There aren't very many Olympic athletes that make good money. So it's not like they can go train wherever they want. They would need financial support. I don't see them charging any of our pokes in the pros either if they were to come in on their off season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't see why a bunch of athletes/teams couldn't come in and train in the summer and just stay in the dorms or other university housing. Making it into a destination for high-altitude training doesn't seem far-fetched to me.

Runners would go up to Happy Jack and run around..

Soccer/basketball/other teams would use the IPF and north forty fields

Swimmers would be SOL

and of course all would use the new world class weight room and strength facilities.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:So, I wish they'd say what all "training" facilities they're going to have in this thing. It seems like it's a new training facility in name only and it's just an expansion of a current building. Bigger weight room? Blah. What are the supposed training facilities these Olympians going to utilize? They going to stay in a hotel the whole time? Seems like you'd need more of a high altitude Olympic village with condos and such to truly become some sort of high altitude destination
The first floor will maximize efficiency and create a welcoming environment with the Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center centrally located so it can be accessed by all student-athletes.

The first floor will also have the Football Strength and Performance Center, a tiered War Room for full team meetings and other campus uses, and an expanded football locker room, as well as a Heritage Hall honoring the history and traditions of Cowboy football.

The existing football coaches’ office suite and position meeting rooms on the second floor will be reconfigured and enlarged to increase efficiencies for the student-athletes and the coaches within their busy daily schedules.

The second floor also will focus on key programmatic elements for the success of all UW’s student-athletes. The Training Table will integrate technology for customizing each meal to meet the individual nutritional needs of every individual student-athlete. The arrangement of the space will allow for team meals, as well as more casual and intimate dining.

The Academic Center also will serve student-athletes in a state-of-the-art learning environment for all sports to take advantage of staff support and tutoring. The space will support greater accessibility for every student-athlete.

http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2015/04/uw- ... enter.html
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo