Funding secured for HAPC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/lo ... mment-area

Sounds like construction gets underway this summer.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Terrific news. Only three million left to raise and that can be done later since it'll be for furniture, etc. They raised that money pretty quickly.
ImageImageImageImage
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Yep pretty quickly... I'm sure there isn't a penny left in the AA project funding anymore. But have to give the football team what they want right. I mean I haven't seen the basketball team beat any top 25 opponents snap a top 5 five opponents 20 game win streak. Win a league title. I haven't ever seen them crack the media and coaches poll. You wont ever see the basketball team on top 10 or have Espn rename the city of Laramie. I definitely haven't seen a first round selection or our coaches compete for 4 star recruits. These are all things the football team has done the past few years right?

We are not even close to the potential the bball program can go but at least there is tangible evidence of a program making strides. I would hate to see the momentum we are witnessing with basketball fade away because we keep throwing money at the football program. If we keep neglecting the teams that actually show some results who the hell is actually going to want to play for us whether or not the athletes get to eat in a new fancy cafeteria.

I really hope this works out for football because that kind of money could definitely buy us some final four runs.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Football drives the bus. This is great for all Wyoming athletes and recruits.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Isn't the next phase of AA going on right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Isn't the next phase of AA going on right now?

Someone on the other board said the construction should start in July. It isn't being pushed aside...both projects are going to be constructed.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

JimmyDimes wrote:
Someone on the other board said the construction should start in July. It isn't being pushed aside...both projects are going to be constructed.
The issue I have with this whole situation, is mostly related to how quickly the budget/plans were altered and negatively adjusted for the AA project while the HAPC rolls right along. I think this is the same sentiment poke_addict was trying to convey, but who knows, he may actually be as bitter as his post seemed :tickedoff: .

I definitely noticed bias from our University towards the football program with respect to these projects, and I definitely think more could have been done to build off the success our basketball team saw in 2014-2015. For example, it seemed ridiculous to alter the design of the AA project to "match the style of the other [outdated] buildings around campus" while the HAPC renderings appear to be state of the art. And it seems like our AD didn't lead much of a fundraising effort to find the remaining funds for the AA project when it came in over budget, while they've been able to raise 40 million for the HAPC.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I'm excited for this major project and I applaud the fundraising efforts to get this in motion so quickly. I just feel we could have easily (and deservedly should have) seen this type of activity/excitement with the AA. I think this is what poke_addict was getting at...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

best to start now, or the price tag just get more and more expensive, sure hope it works for what UW wants it to, and if a few more on the field/court results happen then so be it.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

cali2wyo wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
The issue I have with this whole situation, is mostly related to how quickly the budget/plans were altered and negatively adjusted for the AA project while the HAPC rolls right along. I think this is the same sentiment poke_addict was trying to convey, but who knows, he may actually be as bitter as his post seemed :tickedoff: .

I definitely noticed bias from our University towards the football program with respect to these projects, and I definitely think more could have been done to build off the success our basketball team saw in 2014-2015. For example, it seemed ridiculous to alter the design of the AA project to "match the style of the other [outdated] buildings around campus" while the HAPC renderings appear to be state of the art. And it seems like our AD didn't lead much of a fundraising effort to find the remaining funds for the AA project when it came in over budget, while they've been able to raise 40 million for the HAPC.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, I'm excited for this major project and I applaud the fundraising efforts to get this in motion so quickly. I just feel we could have easily (and deservedly should have) seen this type of activity/excitement with the AA. I think this is what poke_addict was getting at...
:thumb: Exactly I am in no way mad we are building facilities just the way they are handled. I hope you guys are right and the AA project is going to start soon. My comment about the AA funding was based on speculation. I haven't heard anything about the project and don't have a gowyogo account so I have no clue if the source is credible about construction about to start. But like Cali said no reason we had to downsize the AA project or couldn't have matched the effort to raise the last few million to get the job done.

My biggest concern is we keep throwing money at the football team and see no results. To be spending that kind of money we better be seeing results much greater than a MWC title. I can see the progress we have been making in other sports and would hate to lose what we have because we didn't throw those programs some extra cash. Can you imagine what Coach Branch could do with a couple extra million to work with. I was so proud watching Meredith compete for a national title. No reason the pokes can't compete for national team titles in wrestling. We are already in the conference and have the coach that can get it done. Just have to be willing to give them what they need to do so. You already know my opinion on bball so I really don't need to say much more. You don't know what you have until it's gone. Reward the programs that give us results. With that being said my expectations for football has been raised dramatically with this project and I feel it's only fair.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Agreed. I understand Blaylock helped with the HAPC, so all funds the athletics department raised we're going towards that project. Still, the old basketball plan compared to the new one is embarrasing. We we're only 3 million short and the new project looks completely half assed compared to the old plan. It looks like there's a lot more than 3 million missing.

I don't know why they couldn't have made both happen.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

What's the difference between USU and Wyoming? We have more resources, but they are beating us on the field? How? They have a crazy good training table/nutrition/weight/training facility. IMO this is the difference. The HAPC will be good for us.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:My biggest concern is we keep throwing money at the football team and see no results. To be spending that kind of money we better be seeing results much greater than a MWC title.
If I remember right, this project is for much more than just the football team
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
poke_addict wrote:My biggest concern is we keep throwing money at the football team and see no results. To be spending that kind of money we better be seeing results much greater than a MWC title.
If I remember right it is almost more for the Olympic sports than for football. Sure, it will benefit football, but it will have a much more significant impact on our other sports. Hell, it's a high-altitude training center, football is one of the least aerobic sports in the department, thus less advantage from altitude training.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
If I remember right it is almost more for the Olympic sports than for football. Sure, it will benefit football, but it will have a much more significant impact on our other sports. Hell, it's a high-altitude training center, football is one of the least aerobic sports in the department, thus less advantage from altitude training.
You guys are right all athletes will get to eat there. They will also able to train there as well but it will be around the football teams schedule. The majority of the building will be football only as well. The football team is getting upgrades to all of the amenities they had in the RAC. So a bigger locker room, team lounge, coaches offices, team film/war room, individual position film rooms, their own training room. No other teams will be housed in this facility. Its being designed for football training.

It's Laramie every where you go is high altitude there isn't going be any extra training advantage from what the RAC already was. They already had state of the art equipment in that building. The biggest plus to this building is the training table. If anything it should help with recruiting rather than actual training. Which I hope it does.

So yes all athletes will get to use it but football is the only one with full access to the building. So of the 15 varsity sports, 14 teams will have access and share half the building. While one team has dibs on the whole building. All athletes utilized the RAC but it was the football teams home.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I heard on WPR this morning, "despite budget cuts, the building of the HAPC is slated to start"

Seemed like a shot at athletics for sure. Maybe help me out on the funding thing. Is it completely private or was it a match from the state?

W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:I heard on WPR this morning, "despite budget cuts, the building of the HAPC is slated to start"

Seemed like a shot at athletics for sure. Maybe help me out on the funding thing. Is it completely private or was it a match from the state?

Matched....but required over $20 mil in private donations. I'm sure if someone wanted to donate to education, they would also get matched by the state.

And, on top of it all, I believe the HATC will be a revenue producer.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
laxwyo wrote:I heard on WPR this morning, "despite budget cuts, the building of the HAPC is slated to start"

Matched....but required over $20 mil in private donations. I'm sure if someone wanted to donate to education, they would also get matched by the state.

And, on top of it all, I believe the HATC will be a revenue producer.
Agreed, 100%!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Reminder, from when the project was announced:

Bohl said the training facility will specifically help in the long-term physical development of his players. He noted that Wyoming's current weight room is not big enough to fit the entire football team. Instead, they are required to lift weights in three shifts.

Division I football teams shouldn't have to deal with space concerns like that.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

poke_addict wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
You guys are right all athletes will get to eat there. They will also able to train there as well but it will be around the football teams schedule. The majority of the building will be football only as well. The football team is getting upgrades to all of the amenities they had in the RAC. So a bigger locker room, team lounge, coaches offices, team film/war room, individual position film rooms, their own training room. No other teams will be housed in this facility. Its being designed for football training.

It's Laramie every where you go is high altitude there isn't going be any extra training advantage from what the RAC already was. They already had state of the art equipment in that building. The biggest plus to this building is the training table. If anything it should help with recruiting rather than actual training. Which I hope it does.

So yes all athletes will get to use it but football is the only one with full access to the building. So of the 15 varsity sports, 14 teams will have access and share half the building. While one team has dibs on the whole building. All athletes utilized the RAC but it was the football teams home.
Athletic training room. And where did you hear this from? UW doesn't have enough resources or athletic trainers to have football be truly independent from the other sports as far as sports medicine is concerned.

As for the altitude training aspect, I was led to believe that the upgrade will allow for specific training areas/techniques that can utilize the fact that UW is at 7220 feet, we are also going to be able to use it to let in outside athletes to train.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:Reminder, from when the project was announced:

Bohl said the training facility will specifically help in the long-term physical development of his players. He noted that Wyoming's current weight room is not big enough to fit the entire football team. Instead, they are required to lift weights in three shifts.

Division I football teams shouldn't have to deal with space concerns like that.
Most D1 programs practice in 2 or 3 shifts anyway, despite whether they have room or not. Because it doesn't make much sense for your OL and DL to be lifting at the same time as your WR and DB. Much different weights and different exercises.