CSU new stadium....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyoming3
Buckaroo

I agree I don't see why the basketball teams would all of a sudden start playing in a Domed War Memorial.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

if they'd allow beer then maybe that rumor of a domed War Memorial would transpire, but as for the sheep, whoooptie freakin da, as Chris Farley would say, it still always sucks to be a CSU Ram
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

wyoming3 wrote:I agree I don't see why the basketball teams would all of a sudden start playing in a Domed War Memorial.
-Signed, Syracuse

Point is...or was...as I stated, why did UW ever build the AA, when they could have built a multi-use domed facility. Especially at that time...but that is water under the bridge. The carrier dome only cost like 30 million when the built it.

And one step further, why keep dumping money into multiple facilities (the past XX years), when you can (potentially - plan) for building a single state of the art facility?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:Personally, I'm more aligned with the open-air crowd, but practically, I can see the value of a domed venue. I say split the difference and put in a retractable roof. If you're gonna go, go big!
Except you wouldn't be splitting the difference, it would cost much more. We're talking tens of millions of dollars more for a retractable feature. US Bank Stadium in Minnesota would've costed something like $40 million more with a retractable roof.

And you'd be paying more for a retractable roof that wouldn't be used as much as you think. Look at these NFL numbers (through 2012):

Reliant Stadium - 31 games with roof open, 59 games with roof closed (90 total games)
University of Phoenix Stadium - 19 games with roof open, 40 games with roof closed (59 total games)
Lucas Oil Stadium - 13 games with roof open, 30 games with roof closed (43 total games)
Cowboys Stadium - 13 games with roof open, 20 games with roof closed (33 total games)
Total: 76 of 225 total games with roof open (33.4%)

Those stadiums are all in cities with better weather than Laramie, meaning the roof might be open even less than that.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

but a domed stadium may go against our mantra Cowboy Tough, LOL
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:Personally, I'm more aligned with the open-air crowd, but practically, I can see the value of a domed venue. I say split the difference and put in a retractable roof. If you're gonna go, go big!
Except you wouldn't be splitting the difference, it would cost much more. We're talking tens of millions of dollars more for a retractable feature. US Bank Stadium in Minnesota would've costed something like $40 million more with a retractable roof.

And you'd be paying more for a retractable roof that wouldn't be used as much as you think. Look at these NFL numbers (through 2012):

Reliant Stadium - 31 games with roof open, 59 games with roof closed (90 total games)
University of Phoenix Stadium - 19 games with roof open, 40 games with roof closed (59 total games)
Lucas Oil Stadium - 13 games with roof open, 30 games with roof closed (43 total games)
Cowboys Stadium - 13 games with roof open, 20 games with roof closed (33 total games)
Total: 76 of 225 total games with roof open (33.4%)

Those stadiums are all in cities with better weather than Laramie, meaning the roof might be open even less than that.
I wasn't referring to cost, I was referring to concept...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I think the brilliant idea would be to plan the new HATC as the start to covering the field 3/4 with the south endzone remaining open to keep that Wyoming feel to games while reducing some of the poop weather Laramie has to offer later in the season. The team is terrible and so is the weather. No one wants to show up to those games besides the guys who have determined what true fandom is and live their life by that poop.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I'm sorry, I just dont' buy this dome BS. If we were winning 9+ games every year and in contention for conference titles, the War would be packed every week. Even on those days with terrible blizzards we would be pushing 20,000+ IMO. Just look at Idaho, they have a dome and their attendance is still worse than Wyo's, because they are historically bad. Instead of spending X millions of dollars on a roof, let's spend it on coaches and recruiting and win. Guarantee if UW is winning, the fans will come regardless of the weather. (Obviously if roads are shut that's a different story, but no real solution to that issue).
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

The Kibbie dome is a piece of poop. I would think that if a dome was ever built, it would not look anything like that. I guarantee a dome would help attendance, even when the team is bad. A lot of fans on this board have archaic views on these subjects, I get sick of hearing about cowboy tough and we have the bronze boot poop. We need to have higher expectations and hold that to our athletic department to that, We have 1 division one school in this state. I honestly think with the right leadership we can at least have the success of the late 80s and 90 where our team won some conference titles and they competed at the top a few others.

Go Pokes!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

In a time of tightened budgets for the foreseeable future and we are seriously talking about building a dome stadium on campus? Where would this money come from? Hell, the Wildcatter suites are still less than 5 years old. Our donor base has generously stepped up for the past few projects (see the high altitude performance center, AA remodel).

This is just a pointless discussion at this time because there is zero chance. Our legislature will be faced with a damn near miracle of simply balancing the budget as is.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:In a time of tightened budgets for the foreseeable future and we are seriously talking about building a dome stadium on campus? Where would this money come from? Hell, the Wildcatter suites are still less than 5 years old. Our donor base has generously stepped up for the past few projects (see the high altitude performance center, AA remodel).

This is just a pointless discussion at this time because there is zero chance. Our legislature will be faced with a damn near miracle of simply balancing the budget as is.
+1
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

CSU found a way to do it without relying on the state legislature. They had an AD who came in and said I will get an on campus stadium built, and he did. He found a way and CSU will be better off for it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WyoVaquero wrote:CSU found a way to do it without relying on the state legislature. They had an AD who came in and said I will get an on campus stadium built, and he did. He found a way and CSU will be better off for it.
Spot on.

He also hired a winning football coach, and winning women's basketball coach, upped the salaries of all the above (and more), plus all their staff members (remember Burman saying Wyoming would "never pay a football coach $1,000,000 a year - then 2 years later upped dickface to $1,200,000 just to keep up????). Graham also added several new programs to the athletic group, renovated Moby, etc., without relying on the Colorado state legislature for a dime.

He had a vision, he was a leader, and he made it happen...or laid the groundwork to make it happen. He ruffled feathers, that needed ruffled. Like it or not, CSewe made it happen. Wyoming athletics sat around and worked just as hard as the paycheck needed them to, no more - and probably a lot less. And we uttered the, "hey we are Wyoming, where we do more with less". What a damn joke.

Has our fan base become that complacent and that apathetic??? My gawd, it kind of looks that way. Look at the brochure...it makes me sick that we have fallen that far behind. In just 10 short years. And there is clearly only one person responsible for that.
Dear Karma,

WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:
WyoVaquero wrote:CSU found a way to do it without relying on the state legislature. They had an AD who came in and said I will get an on campus stadium built, and he did. He found a way and CSU will be better off for it.
Spot on.

He also hired a winning football coach, and winning women's basketball coach, upped the salaries of all the above (and more), plus all their staff members (remember Burman saying Wyoming would "never pay a football coach $1,000,000 a year - then 2 years later upped dickface to $1,200,000 just to keep up????). Graham also added several new programs to the athletic group, renovated Moby, etc., without relying on the Colorado state legislature for a dime.

He had a vision, he was a leader, and he made it happen...or laid the groundwork to make it happen. He ruffled feathers, that needed ruffled. Like it or not, CSewe made it happen. Wyoming athletics sat around and worked just as hard as the paycheck needed them to, no more - and probably a lot less. And we uttered the, "hey we are Wyoming, where we do more with less". What a damn joke.

Has our fan base become that complacent and that apathetic??? My gawd, it kind of looks that way. Look at the brochure...it makes me sick that we have fallen that far behind. In just 10 short years. And there is clearly only one person responsible for that.
This! :thumb:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote:In a time of tightened budgets for the foreseeable future and we are seriously talking about building a dome stadium on campus? Where would this money come from? Hell, the Wildcatter suites are still less than 5 years old. Our donor base has generously stepped up for the past few projects (see the high altitude performance center, AA remodel).

This is where I am confused. Are we discussing what we should have done in the past or what we should do now? If we are talking about the past then Ok. That is a fun discussion but ultimately means nothing. But if we are talking about what we should do now, the conversation makes no sense. We have recently poured millions of dollars into both the War and the AA but now we should just tear them both down to create a new domed stadium that will bring in a few more thousand people for football games and be an awful setup for basketball(at least compared to the current AA which I love) all at a time when the University is struggling for money. Makes no sense. And even Jack Graham couldn't sell it to the University and City of Laramie or the State. I get the complaints about the current administration but this isn't one of them.

And on a personal note. Iwouldn't want a dome. And it has nothing to do with "Cowboy Tough" rah rah poop. I just don't like watching games in domes. Feels too antiseptic/controlled/boring to me. I like to see the sightlines outside of the stadium and to experience the fall smells and feel the sun and breeze on my face. I understand that when it snows its a bitch but it isn't worth giving up the beautiful fall days to me. :twocents:
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

hate to see the ticket prices on this new stadium
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:

This is where I am confused. Are we discussing what we should have done in the past or what we should do now? If we are talking about the past then Ok. That is a fun discussion but ultimately means nothing. But if we are talking about what we should do now, the conversation makes no sense. We have recently poured millions of dollars into both the War and the AA but now we should just tear them both down to create a new domed stadium that will bring in a few more thousand people for football games and be an awful setup for basketball(at least compared to the current AA which I love) all at a time when the University is struggling for money. Makes no sense. And even Jack Graham couldn't sell it to the University and City of Laramie or the State. I get the complaints about the current administration but this isn't one of them.

And on a personal note. Iwouldn't want a dome. And it has nothing to do with "Cowboy Tough" rah rah poop. I just don't like watching games in domes. Feels too antiseptic/controlled/boring to me. I like to see the sightlines outside of the stadium and to experience the fall smells and feel the sun and breeze on my face. I understand that when it snows its a bitch but it isn't worth giving up the beautiful fall days to me. :twocents:
The entire conversation - morphed from comparing what CSewe has done the last 10 years (a poop ton), versus what UW has done the last 10 years (basically nothing)...and then turned into a dome "the war" conversation of sorts. It's all just complete dreaming & speculation.

We all know it will never happen under the current circumstances. And those circumstances I am referring to, in order, would be:

1. The leadership at UW (athletically primarily, but Old Main as well since Dubois)
2. The win / loss ratios of UW programs as a whole
3. The Wyoming economy
4. The fan base that thinks we are "good to go" and don't need change - we have great everything!
Dear Karma,