CSU new stadium....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Still cannot believe they are building a new stadium and we can't get one built, with one university in this state.

A Dome can and should be built. !!! a 30k dome could be used for a lot of other events that just football.

Lack of ambition pisses me off. !!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Closest it was - to ever being done, was 1975 when Fred Akers as at the helm. He had a vision (similar to the Carrier Dome), and UW balked at it. Coors or no Coors, Bud or no Bud...that aspect didn't matter.

Bad part is...it has NEVER been considered since. Never. And won't under the current administration.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

How much would a new dome cost ?? $250 million. ?? How close was akers to getting it done back in '75?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

We have an IPF that is over 100 yards. And, how often would we need a dome during football season? Once every other year...but you still have to drive. IMO, I don't think a dome is a great idea.

And, besides thinking it will help get them a B12 invite, the reason CSU is building a new stadium is so they can have an on-campus stadium. We have one of those and ours is still getting upgrades. When all the dust settles and CSU realizes how big of a debt burden they have...how much nicer will their stadium really be? IMO, not much.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Would CSU be building a new stadium if theirs was on-campus and not a dilapidated piece of poop? No.

Their stadium was far past its useful life and they built a new one. Whoop-de-do.

Their stadium will be a nice addition for them, but put them far ahead of anyone? No.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand

Except of the location outside of town and not being able to see the corner of the end zones, I like hughes a lot better than the war. I disagree about the dome. I think it would help with recruiting and you can use the dome for other events throughout the year. Building a dome is not us trying to keep up with people is about us trying to get ahead of people. I hate the idea of playing catch up instead of trying to be innovative and being ahead of the curve. I respect what CSU is trying to do. I do not think they will get into big 12, but if you can create a consistently winning program than it is all worth it. I love the people of wyoming and all wyoming fans, but sometimes i don't think everybody gets how competitive recruiting is and what other schools have to offer. We see things with brown and gold color glasses. Its the same thing with the uniforms, a lot of wyoming fans love the yellow pants at home. I personally can't stand them, I wish they could go back to the white and brown pants of the early 90s. The white pants had yellow and brown stripes, and the brown pants had the yellow and white stripes. The brown also looked a little darker, which was better. when it comes to 18 year old kids, everything matters, from uniforms to how the lockers look.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Drive on poop roads and then watch inside sounds better than driving on poop roads and sitting in the freezing rain/snow. I like it outdoors but I can see how a dome would be useful. A retractable would be best.

It's not like CSU is building Jerry's world down there. I'm sure once they get building, costs will make them cut corners too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Sure, let's build the next Kibbie Dome....
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

the reason CSU is building a new stadium is to get an on campus stadium. We already have one. Is their new one gonna be better than ours? I would hope so since its brand new. But it won't be so much better that it puts us in the dust. We have no need to build a new stadium just because CSU is building one. I get the arguments for a domed stadium but personally I don't care for one. If they had built one back in the 70's maybe but it isn't worth the cost. And in the current climate any talk of building one is just silly.

We just need to continue wit hthe upgrades we are putting in the War. No need to tear down and start again.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

There is one major thing, that most fail to look at, when talking about Doming the War:

1. How much revenue would it bring, hosting other events? Let's be realistic, it get's used 6 times per year right now. So we have a facility (that if we had to rebuild) would cost us every bit of $250 million. And we use it 6 times a year.
Dear Karma,

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:There is one major thing, that most fail to look at, when talking about Doming the War:

1. How much revenue would it bring, hosting other events? Let's be realistic, it get's used 6 times per year right now. So we have a facility (that if we had to rebuild) would cost us every bit of $250 million. And we use it 6 times a year.
7 if you count HS state football. But since you're asking about revenue producing uses, I guess that doesn't really count :lol:

Of course people can list off other events that can be held inside a dome (Concerts, rodeo, monster jam/motocross, etc.) but we have to remember this is Laramie, WY. Big time, stadium-sized events aren't coming here. Even with a dome, I don't see the number of revenue producing events being much more than 6 per year. And unless WYDOT decides to dome all the roads into Laramie, it's not going to bring much more revenue during those 6 days a year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

The way I see it, is if you are a Wyo fan and the deciding factor on whether you go to a game or not is if the stadium has a roof, then you are a pussy...nuff said.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:The way I see it, is if you are a Wyo fan and the deciding factor on whether you go to a game or not is if the stadium has a roof, then you are a pussy...nuff said.
I doubt that you would call me a "pussy" to my face. We are old and have been coming to games and we have sat through several blizzard/cold games for probably longer than you are alive. My wife is the deciding factor here and is unable to take those kind of games anymore. I can easily name at least 6 other couples that I know who are in the same situation.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:The way I see it, is if you are a Wyo fan and the deciding factor on whether you go to a game or not is if the stadium has a roof, then you are a pussy...nuff said.
My wife is the deciding factor here and is unable to take those kind of games anymore. I can easily name at least 6 other couples that I know who are in the same situation.
Most people don't have a problem with the roads that I talk with (just another excuse). And sure, they can be challenging, but let's not act like we are 16 years old, just licensed, and this is our first trip on a highway when it is snowing.

What it boils down to, IMO, is the 4 plus hours freezing your f-word ass off - or not knowing if you are facing the 4 hours of freezing your f-word ass off (paired with the level of competition / level of competitiveness), that sways the decision process to attend / not attend.

Having a dome, at the very least, takes that "element" out of the conversation. Would it bring 1000's more to games? Yes - surely - if we were better than 4 & 8 or 2 & 10 first and foremost. And we can chicken - egg that poop all year long.

This place sure sucks...
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:Of course people can list off other events that can be held inside a dome (Concerts, rodeo, monster jam/motocross, etc.) but we have to remember this is Laramie, WY. Big time, stadium-sized events aren't coming here. Even with a dome, I don't see the number of revenue producing events being much more than 6 per year. And unless WYDOT decides to dome all the roads into Laramie, it's not going to bring much more revenue during those 6 days a year.
Valid points. But that lack of vision is what has created the apathetic pool we are all swimming in. The nay-sayers are going to stand on their soap-boxes, and state exactly what you (stated). We can't do it attitude, the it won't work attitude. Burman101.

Not trying to be a prick, by my point is, if UW domed the War - and made it usable, UW could host Football (6), Men's Basketball (16), Women's Basketball (16), Wrasslin (?), Tennis (?), Baseball (?), Hockey (?), Track (?), Volleyball (?) and Soccer (?) events at the very least - that are UW athletics involved. And then, you can look at all the other poop as an option - rodeo, dirt bike, concerts, graduation, etc., etc.

Somebody needs to think out of the box - I guess that would be me, and is me. That is a game changer for Wyoming. Instead of pumping endless amounts of cash into the AA, MPG, Tennis facility, Soccer Stadium, Cowboy Field, and now War Memorial...pump it into something that moves UW into the game (and conversation)!
Dear Karma,

Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WyoVaquero wrote:Except of the location outside of town and not being able to see the corner of the end zones, I like hughes a lot better than the war. I disagree about the dome. I think it would help with recruiting and you can use the dome for other events throughout the year. Building a dome is not us trying to keep up with people is about us trying to get ahead of people. I hate the idea of playing catch up instead of trying to be innovative and being ahead of the curve. I respect what CSU is trying to do. I do not think they will get into big 12, but if you can create a consistently winning program than it is all worth it. I love the people of wyoming and all wyoming fans, but sometimes i don't think everybody gets how competitive recruiting is and what other schools have to offer. We see things with brown and gold color glasses. Its the same thing with the uniforms, a lot of wyoming fans love the yellow pants at home. I personally can't stand them, I wish they could go back to the white and brown pants of the early 90s. The white pants had yellow and brown stripes, and the brown pants had the yellow and white stripes. The brown also looked a little darker, which was better. when it comes to 18 year old kids, everything matters, from uniforms to how the lockers look.
CSEwe sock alert...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:Of course people can list off other events that can be held inside a dome (Concerts, rodeo, monster jam/motocross, etc.) but we have to remember this is Laramie, WY. Big time, stadium-sized events aren't coming here. Even with a dome, I don't see the number of revenue producing events being much more than 6 per year. And unless WYDOT decides to dome all the roads into Laramie, it's not going to bring much more revenue during those 6 days a year.
Valid points. But that lack of vision is what has created the apathetic pool we are all swimming in. The nay-sayers are going to stand on their soap-boxes, and state exactly what you (stated). We can't do it attitude, the it won't work attitude. Burman101.

Not trying to be a prick, by my point is, if UW domed the War - and made it usable, UW could host Football (6), Men's Basketball (16), Women's Basketball (16), Wrasslin (?), Tennis (?), Baseball (?), Hockey (?), Track (?), Volleyball (?) and Soccer (?) events at the very least - that are UW athletics involved. And then, you can look at all the other poop as an option - rodeo, dirt bike, concerts, graduation, etc., etc.

Somebody needs to think out of the box - I guess that would be me, and is me. That is a game changer for Wyoming. Instead of pumping endless amounts of cash into the AA, MPG, Tennis facility, Soccer Stadium, Cowboy Field, and now War Memorial...pump it into something that moves UW into the game (and conversation)!
Forget track, soccer, and baseball. They really screw up sight lines and field proximity.

Personally, I'm more aligned with the open-air crowd, but practically, I can see the value of a domed venue. I say split the difference and put in a retractable roof. If you're gonna go, go big!
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

McPeachy wrote:

I have been nailed on here many times before for even bringing up getting behind the four letter D word that rhymes with home and shall not be mentioned.

Although I agree doming the road is ideal, crappy weather at the game is as much as a factor as getting there. Weather is nice, I bring 4 extra people. Weather is crappy, the kids and wife can't come.

A giant dome for state events and such would be pretty cool.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time

a retractable roof. Now we are getting somewhere.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:

I mean yes putting a roof on the war would be cool but I don't get why the university would host other sporting events there. Except for maybe soccer. Why would the basketball team play in a domed War. That makes zero sense. They already have a facility designed for basketball with much more comfortable seats then the War.

In my opinion creating a domed war and hosting other sporting events is kind of bush league. I don't want to be like Idaho and only have one sporting venue. It's like when D1 football stadiums have an track around the field. Keep the war football only. Winning will solve most of our problems. Not against a roof over the War either. I just would prefer to watch football in the War and basketball in the AA.

It has always been a recruiting advantage for UW not to host a bunch of random events in there facilities. It shows the commitment to the student athletes. Every sport pretty much has their own facility that they can access any day of the year at pretty much anytime. I know UNLV and SDSU basketball players don't get full access to their playing arenas at any time they desire. Same goes with the football players at UW. I like that UW has separate venues for all sports. If they build any kind of venue I think it should be a wrestling only facility.

Football is the only sport that can make the War a fun game day experience if any other sport plays there then you will have a ton of empty seats which is always a buzz kill. At least the AA can still get pretty loud with only 6000 in attendance that wouldn't be the case if they played in the War.