my thoughts on marketing

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

ok, so csu is trying to sell themselves through a new stadium. It may work, it may not work... but it got me to thinking about the current state of Wyoming athletics; and how we should approach our next growth/improvement cycle.

from my estimation we have been doing above average to solid with our facilities.

our win column needs to improve above all else. however, I cant get over how we handle marketing. when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of tv deals, money contracts, home and aways, donations... basically the income potential for our product... why are we not going balls out marketing?

Case in point, brian hill, our running game. our beat writers should be coached (it does happen) to nationally publish pro brian hill stuff... and in abundance. there should be four articles already from Wyoming sources that suggest brian being a future all American. voters do research, and having some info our there cant hurt.

then, the new age of social media needs a huge investment and focus. we should have a social media department that puts stuff out there... I know we have wyo vision... but its not funded or resourced the way it needs to be.

if we want to make more money, we need to be more aggressive in the product we sell.

sorry for rambling, but in comparison to what csu is doing spending 220 mil on a new stadium... I really feel like we need to focus on improving and advertising what we already have.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

carbonpoke wrote:our beat writers should be coached (it does happen)
No it doesn't. Newspapers are not PR mouthpieces for the university.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Pokes75
Buckaroo

CSU is deep in the Red Sea financially. I like where Wyomimg is at, despite the down turn in the States economy. We seem to always prevail.

Stay tuned to CSU's misfortune and calculation. But enjoy the moment as they pound their chest over the mentioning of the Big 12 conference.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Seriously?? Ever been in the area or read anything from a beat writer in the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, etc?? Those guys are told what to write at times. Not every article, but definitely some. Coaches and/or schools will tell the beat writer to push one story, and in return they will get first rights when a big story breaks. Quid pro quo Josh...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Seriously?? Ever been in the area or read anything from a beat writer in the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, etc?? Those guys are told what to write at times. Not every article, but definitely some. Coaches and/or schools will tell the beat writer to push one story, and in return they will get first rights when a big story breaks. Quid pro quo Josh...
Happens all the time here. The owners of the Daily Oklahoman (aka the Daily poop) also owns the naming rights to OU's football stadium so naturally...... :roll:

Did I mention I hate OU?
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Market the heck outta BH, why not sports writers have heard of him, just hope he does well this year, NO injuries
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Seriously?? Ever been in the area or read anything from a beat writer in the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, etc?? Those guys are told what to write at times. Not every article, but definitely some. Coaches and/or schools will tell the beat writer to push one story, and in return they will get first rights when a big story breaks. Quid pro quo Josh...
So because someone writes a player about a story, you think he was told by the school that he has to write something? No way.

They maybe tip a writer off about a good story, but never anything beyond that. The writers do not work for the university. The university does not dictate what goes into the paper. If they do, the folks at the paper need to grow some balls or go into PR for the school.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
wyoming3
Buckaroo

I think the school needs to take the reigns on getting Brian's name out there. You see pre-season hype videos out for top players all over the country, Wyo needs to put a sweet highlight reel together for Brian and get it out all over the country.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Seriously?? Ever been in the area or read anything from a beat writer in the SEC, Big Ten, Pac-12, etc?? Those guys are told what to write at times. Not every article, but definitely some. Coaches and/or schools will tell the beat writer to push one story, and in return they will get first rights when a big story breaks. Quid pro quo Josh...
So because someone writes a player about a story, you think he was told by the school that he has to write something? No way.

They maybe tip a writer off about a good story, but never anything beyond that. The writers do not work for the university. The university does not dictate what goes into the paper. If they do, the folks at the paper need to grow some balls or go into PR for the school.
No, that's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that coaches will urge beat writers to push certain stories I.E. Brian Hill poised for national spotlight. They won't tell them how to write or exactly what to write, but they will suggest the writers go a certain way with some articles and in return they will keep getting access to a team. If the writers don't do this the coaches will shut them out and not give them any more access/info than anyone else. I know for a fact that this happens at bigger schools, this isn't just me speculating, I've seen it happen in the Big Ten, when reporters don't comply they lose access. They might not like it, but a reporter with no access is an unemployed reporter.

The university doesn't dictate what goes in the paper, but they DO control the flow of information.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Everyone that actually watches Brian Hill thinks he is a beast. Being on the annual schedule poster isn't good enough. I agree about marketing him. Larry Nance Jr's face should be all over still as an ambassador to the school. I talk about Brian Hill to peers around me and they have never even heard the name. I would show them ESPN stat page with his numbers and they dismissed because of the MWC. We have to step it up. We (the conf) is already viewed as a joke and at a disadvantage. Our football team being in the bottom tier of the conf just adds a deeper rut. They need to ride this Brian Hill train because it is ready to leave the station for good.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Everyone that actually watches Brian Hill thinks he is a beast. Being on the annual schedule poster isn't good enough. I agree about marketing him. Larry Nance Jr's face should be all over still as an ambassador to the school. I talk about Brian Hill to peers around me and they have never even heard the name. I would show them ESPN stat page with his numbers and they dismissed because of the MWC. We have to step it up. We (the conf) is already viewed as a joke and at a disadvantage. Our football team being in the bottom tier of the conf just adds a deeper rut. They need to ride this Brian Hill train because it is ready to leave the station for good.
First off, he was only a sophomore last year. So, hasn't been around long enough to get his name out anywhere. And, I'm curious if your peers can name any other MWC running back? At least ours was on the Doak Walker list...which is a national list. Nobody else from the MWC was on that list last year.

I agree that we need to promote our student athletes. However, I think Brian Hill is more about the team than himself. The other site has a Q&A with him and he is a very humble guy. And, according to Brian Hill, he isn't even thinking NFL at this point in his college career.

I have no doubt we will not be in the bottom tier for long. By the time Brian Hill is a senior....people will know who he is and we will be competing for the MWC title.....IMO of course.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I imagine there is going to be plenty talking about Brian Hill in the build up to the season.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

djm19 wrote:Everyone that actually watches Brian Hill thinks he is a beast. Being on the annual schedule poster isn't good enough. I agree about marketing him. Larry Nance Jr's face should be all over still as an ambassador to the school. I talk about Brian Hill to peers around me and they have never even heard the name. I would show them ESPN stat page with his numbers and they dismissed because of the MWC. We have to step it up. We (the conf) is already viewed as a joke and at a disadvantage. Our football team being in the bottom tier of the conf just adds a deeper rut. They need to ride this Brian Hill train because it is ready to leave the station for good.
Gotta be careful there, that's the whole impetus behind Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit against Ucla...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Wyovanian wrote:
Gotta be careful there, that's the whole impetus behind Ed O'Bannon's lawsuit against Ucla...
Yeah, with Nance's consent obviously.