Week 1 Spreads

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

College football is nearing! Early spread has Wyoming as a 10-point home dog to NIU.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-games
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

We have to earn it Pokes - the way to do that is start off with a win.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Not surprised at all. I actually figured it might be a little more in their favor, say 11-13. The media and sports books have 0 reason to believe we have a shot in any game outside of EMU and Cal Poly (neither of which should they have much confidence given our track record).

I'm not sure how this season will end up, but it sure would be nice to prove everyone wrong and surprise some folks. Gotta earn it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

A win against NIU in year 3 by a self proclaimed developmental staff shouldn't be out of the question. In fact, we better damn well at least be in position to win this game or the developmental staff stuff is just B.S.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Different seasons, different teams...but man, the NIU team I watched in the Poinsettia Bowl couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Wyoming losing at all would be no bueno.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

a dawg at home, wow we used to kill these home openers year in and year out, hope they find a way to reverse this and get it done
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It is all speculation based on last year. Many of these pubs don't do adequate research, that is why I think taking Wyoming on the over for 3.5 wins is a golden deal. But, as many have pointed out, we need to earn respect. But, like our chances considering the number of returning starters, the weight gains, and having another year in the system.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Decided to see what NIU fans think of the spread, so I looked for one of their forums. Nothing on the spread...they're too busy talking about their move to the Big XII. Yes, I'm serious.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Decided to see what NIU fans think of the spread, so I looked for one of their forums. Nothing on the spread...they're too busy talking about their move to the Big XII. Yes, I'm serious.
Holy poop! Northern Illinois to the Big XII?!!!! Holy....and I thought Fort Fart fans had THEIR heads up their asses too much!!!!!! :shock: :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:Decided to see what NIU fans think of the spread, so I looked for one of their forums. Nothing on the spread...they're too busy talking about their move to the Big XII. Yes, I'm serious.
Holy poop! Northern Illinois to the Big XII?!!!! Holy....and I thought Fort Fart fans had THEIR heads up their asses too much!!!!!! :shock: :roll:
Even Chicago newspeople are trying to say it's a possibility...

In the past, I’ve advocated that the Big 12 seek out Northern Illinois for expansion. It makes sense for a couple primary reasons — the Huskies’ football competitiveness and their geography within reach of the third-largest television market in the country. Don’t tell me a team like Oklahoma would say no to playing a game in the Chicago area every other year.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/05/05/ ... ing-again/
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
NIU007
Buckaroo

Hi -

There are always a few with unrealistic expectations. One would hope that a home game with 10,000 people, or a complete debacle against Boise would at least shut them up for a little while. But no, we have to keep hearing about it - though most of the conference expansion stuff is about the AAC more so than Big 12, which at least is not completely ludicrous.

I will say that in the Boise game our 3rd string QB was playing after coming back from an injury. Still no excuse for getting shutout (we scored on a kick return). And the defense was apparently not on the field at all. I've seen some bad teams but that was the worst I've ever seen the defense play. And it was mostly the same defense that held OSU to 20 points. Supposedly in one of the bowl practices the players walked out, so something was going on there. Not sure what that means for this year. We struggled one year when we played at Idaho, so there's no telling what will happen.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I'm thinking getting 10 points at home against a shaky NIU team that's never played at elevation before might be worth a bet...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:College football is nearing! Early spread has Wyoming as a 10-point home dog to NIU.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-games

I WILL BE CRUSHING WYOMING on this line!! GO Pokes!!
NIU007
Buckaroo

If our QB Hare is healthy that line is no gimme. When we played EMU, the only common opponent I believe, we were leading 35-0 at halftime, and won by 28. If Hare is not healthy it's a good bet. Coach says he's fine now, could just be coachspeak though.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 141 times

NIU007 wrote:If our QB Hare is healthy that line is no gimme. When we played EMU, the only common opponent I believe, we were leading 35-0 at halftime, and won by 28. If Hare is not healthy it's a good bet. Coach says he's fine now, could just be coachspeak though.
Eh, new season. I'd take Wyoming at +14. It'd be near impossible to for Wyoming to be worse but I'll believe it when I see it. NUI had a good season. They probably won't be as good. Is it enough to take Cowboys with 10 points? Probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

NIU007 wrote:If our QB Hare is healthy that line is no gimme. When we played EMU, the only common opponent I believe, we were leading 35-0 at halftime, and won by 28. If Hare is not healthy it's a good bet. Coach says he's fine now, could just be coachspeak though.
The only common opponent? We both Beat UNLV by about the same and both lost to Boise....you guys by more.

The only thing I'll add is Wyoming was the youngest team in the country last year. We played a lot of freshman..many true freshman. They played like freshman early in the year...like when we played EMU. Also during EMU, we didn't have our starting QB and lost our 2nd string QB (who moved the ball well and had Wyoming on top, until) to a broken collor bone in the 2nd series. We ended up going with our 3rd string guy who had never taken a snap as a redshirt freshman. Worst game I have ever seen by a QB in my life...not kidding. He has since played better and looked good in spring ball. The guy who broke his collar bone will be our starter...and he looks the part.

I see a very close game with the Pokes coming out on top in the end.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

laxwyo wrote:
Eh, new season. I'd take Wyoming at +14. It'd be near impossible to for Wyoming to be worse but I'll believe it when I see it. NUI had a good season. They probably won't be as good. Is it enough to take Cowboys with 10 points? Probably not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Careful Lax. I said that about their defense last year and it actually got worse.
NIU007
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:
The only common opponent? We both Beat UNLV by about the same and both lost to Boise....you guys by more.

The only thing I'll add is Wyoming was the youngest team in the country last year. We played a lot of freshman..many true freshman. They played like freshman early in the year...like when we played EMU. Also during EMU, we didn't have our starting QB and lost our 2nd string QB (who moved the ball well and had Wyoming on top, until) to a broken collor bone in the 2nd series. We ended up going with our 3rd string guy who had never taken a snap as a redshirt freshman. Worst game I have ever seen by a QB in my life...not kidding. He has since played better and looked good in spring ball. The guy who broke his collar bone will be our starter...and he looks the part.

I see a very close game with the Pokes coming out on top in the end.
Forgot you guys also played UNLV. Like you said, different year. NIU could be better, or worse, this year. 2015 was probably our worst team since 2009 - once our starting QB went out we were not good at all, though we somehow beat Toledo anyway. At least our backups got experience LOL. We have to get more out of our O-line and RB. Our RB starter is average, at best, and the backup, who is a way better runner, apparently has attitude and preparation problems. We need a young guy to get some snaps. Our center who graduated was a good blocker but prone to bad snaps that cost us dearly so a change there might be good. We bring most of our WRs back so we should be okay there. On defense we lose a couple DEs that were fairly good, not great, that we need to replace so that's a question mark for sure. 1 good LB we need to replace, and a corner that was pretty good. Our punting stinks. Hopefully the thin air in Laramie will help, he needs all the help he can get. We have a pretty good kick returner in Aregeros Turner, punt return job is open already due to injury.

This is the year we find out how good our coach is, as he has mostly his own players now. If I had to guess I probably would have put the line at about 8 points, if our starting QB is healthy.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

The line is just about right at Wyoming +10. We've got to prove it if we don't want to be a home dog in a game like this. Having said that I'll take UW. :D
Huskiefan
Buckaroo

Wyoming fans, Huskiefan here, I come in peace.
Don't pay attention to the B12 stuff, every board has posters who say the team will go 0-12 and should disband to the people who think the team should be in the SEC. NIU has zero chance at the B12, hopefully we do get a look for the AAC, which is realistic.

As for our game, I think the point spared is about right, but it certainly won't be a slam dunk. You guys have a good running attack which NIU has to stop. If our QB Hare is healthy, our offense will put up points. I see this as shootout like we had last year versus UNLV.
Last season was in interesting for us, from scaring the daylights out of #1 OSU to the absolute bed wetting against Boise State. We have a new OC this year, which will be good. Our play calling last year was mediocre at best, and sometimes downright bad.
Anyway, this should be a good game, looking forward to it. Wish I could attend, Laramie is a great town, but will be staying up reaaaal late to watch it on CBS.