Ten (10) Questions With Wyoming AD, Tom Burman

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I thought there was generally a negative reaction to the tailgate park being moved inside. I don't see why they can't look at the weather and put it outside on the nice days and inside on the crappy days.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I thought there was generally a negative reaction to the tailgate park being moved inside. I don't see why they can't look at the weather and put it outside on the nice days and inside on the crappy days.
I have a feeling the "common folk" don't like it, but there are probably more cushy people who don't want to sit outside in the elements who have more influence (kinda like the chairbacks)
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote:I thought there was generally a negative reaction to the tailgate park being moved inside. I don't see why they can't look at the weather and put it outside on the nice days and inside on the crappy days.
Agree with you completely on this LP. The athletic department claims that the move inside has been met with overwhelming approval, however, I can't see tailgating inside as a more rewarding experience than being outside.

Also, we have posted some initial and preliminary construction photos of the new video/scoreboard going in at The War.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

Really enjoying your new site, Dino.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

phxpoke wrote:
Really enjoying your new site, Dino.
Thank you very much, I appreciate the encouraging and kind words.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

His comments about market size and reliance upon the State and University are the root of many complaints about him.

To what level is that "our reality"? To listen to Burman, there is no or very little room for upward mobility in our budget from sources outside of the State and/or University.

IMO, if Burman is right, we are screwed at least from the perspective of what I'd like UW athletics to be. If Burman is 100% correct, then I've had nothing but unrealistic expectations of where the UW could go. Our State and University can't keep pace with those that generate a lot of revenue through marketing, success, or charging large student populations.

So, is this our reality or is this the reality Burman built?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:His comments about market size and reliance upon the State and University are the root of many complaints about him.

To what level is that "our reality"? To listen to Burman, there is no or very little room for upward mobility in our budget from sources outside of the State and/or University.

IMO, if Burman is right, we are screwed at least from the perspective of what I'd like UW athletics to be. If Burman is 100% correct, then I've had nothing but unrealistic expectations of where the UW could go. Our State and University can't keep pace with those that generate a lot of revenue through marketing, success, or charging large student populations.

It's the reality he accepts and therein lies the problem.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:It's the reality he accepts and therein lies the problem.
Agreed.

I think it's important to recognize the limitations that you have to deal with, but those limitations should never actually hinder you.

For example, I was born with a disability. While I know that to be true and recognize how the disability creates more challenges, I would like to believe I've never let my disability hold me back from what I can do. Sometimes I have to be a little creative, but I get things done.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:His comments about market size and reliance upon the State and University are the root of many complaints about him.

I guess I see this a little bit differently, guys. Meaning that if there are inherent and non-negotiable disadvantages that the university has as an athletic department (never mind as a university in total), and we are in agreement on what some of those barriers are, then what, short of waving a magic wand, is Burman able to do that he is not already doing?

Our market size is indisputable.

Our shortfalls as a state from an economic standpoint are a clear reality.

Fundraising? Under Burman's watch, this area has tripled in the last 3 years.

Season ticket sales? Currently at an unprecedented high.

Facility improvements? There can be no doubt the needle is pointing in the right direction in this area.

Solvency as an athletic department? Last year Wyoming was 1 of only 3 in the MWC to actually finish in the black.

Coaches? I maintain the Bohl hire was a coup. Reading from many here you like the continuity with Edwards succeeding Shyatt.

Non-revenue generating sports? It's my understanding (I don't follow any of them) that most of the programs are very competitive.

As a conference, the athletic department takes all that it can get -- and there is little int he way of changing this specific dynamic.

Unless Burman wins Lotto or stumbles upon a few million that falls out of a Brinks truck and turns it over the athletic department, I remain puzzled as to the specific major complaints with Burman, and I also see a lack of realistic and doable alternatives being proposed by those unhappy with his record in the position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Agreed.

I think it's important to recognize the limitations that you have to deal with, but those limitations should never actually hinder you.

For example, I was born with a disability. While I know that to be true and recognize how the disability creates more challenges, I would like to believe I've never let my disability hold me back from what I can do. Sometimes I have to be a little creative, but I get things done.
Same here. I have cerebral palsy and can't walk but I never let that stop me!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agreed.

Wyokie, I have no idea how or why my post was repeated and I apologize. If you can delete the follow-ups I'd appreciate.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Yabadabadoo wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agreed.

Wyokie, I have no idea how or why my post was repeated and I apologize. If you can delete the follow-ups I'd appreciate.
Just deleted all 3 or 4 of them. And before you say, "Thank you",....your welcome. :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agreed.

Just deleted all 3 or 4 of them. And before you say, "Thank you",....your welcome. :D
You da man!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Yabadabadoo wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Yabadabadoo wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Agreed.

You da man!
Well....I AM a living legend, of course!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

ya know, there are always ways of increasing revenue... it just means taking on more responsibilities and having to work longer.

I've stated before, there are out-of-the-box ways to generate funds.

hedge funds for one.

spring game weekend extravaganza.

one thing that ive never mentioned before because it was just to much mental energy to get properly worded for a post; but I think we need to develop a new sports medicine school.

it would have to be from way above burman. Like the board of trustees, the legislature, and that guy that raises funds for our school projects. this sports medicine school would be focused mainly on impacts to the head. develops an impact lab, tests and runs scenarios and models on the super computer, develops products to increase safety, can create polymers at a cheaper cost with our abundant petroleum and clean-cool energy.

the great thing about a school like this is that there isn't really a college doing it. Michigan has research agreements into the science, however they haven't built anything specifically designed for the science of brain injury.

better yet... money would be thrown at the school from public and private sectors. Government dollars, NFL dollars... poop, any of the major 4 sports would throw money at the school.

but it wouldn't be a cheap build either. the undeniable truth is that brain injury prevention is one of the fastest growing markets of need in the world. if you want to grow the university, you have to grow the enrollment... this would break us from stagnation. offer graduate and post graduate programs.

I'm just saying... there are ways, and none of them easy, to be better than we currently are.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Nice idea carbonpoke, but unfortunately it seems like those in charge have suffered from significant brain injuries themselves and can't articulate ideas such as yours
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Yabadabadoo wrote:I guess I see this a little bit differently, guys. Meaning that if there are inherent and non-negotiable disadvantages that the university has as an athletic department (never mind as a university in total), and we are in agreement on what some of those barriers are, then what, short of waving a magic wand, is Burman able to do that he is not already doing?
He does OK at keeping the department afloat, but I'm not sure he's ever going to be the AD to take the department to the next step. I'm not even talking crazy talk like the Power 5, but even just sitting atop the MWC in more than one sport at a time. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle for a season or two, but can we sustain it? If we do, it's more to do with the job coaches are doing than what Burman is doing.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Well, Dino, let me put it this way, if I see a heart surgeon whose patients typically die, I sure as hell can't tell him every detail of what to fix because I'm no heart surgeon. At the same time, I can sure as hell tell the heart surgeon is doing something wrong and I wouldn't let that sawbones cut on me.

Outside of 1 tournament run, the heart of athletics is dying. Bball attendance used to be upper end in the nation and then Burman killed it with his buddy hire. Sure DC was a media favorite kind of hire but Burman's job is to determine if that is true. Burman said we needed a high paced offense and utilize the spread to mask our talent deficiencies since we can't recruit to Laramie. Then he switches to the Cowboy tough rah rah stuff and hires Bohl. I like Bohl but I think his hire highlighted Burman's lack of vision and conviction.

I think he is quick to throw coaches and the state under the bus to mask his own shortfalls. He uses coaches as shields for criticism against the athletic department.

His main sales pitch is "well if you want D1athletics, then give me your tax money. He does very little on highlighting what successful programs can do. Rather than generate passion and excitement to get people to follow, he uses the chicken little approach. The overall atmosphere is that of a tomb rather than big time athletics. I would venture to guess that there a big chunk of WYO folks follow another NCAA sports program more closely than WYO. Burman hasn't captured what market he has. Hell, it might be even worse now.

We are heavily state subsidized and our position within the MWC relative to budgets has been stagnant to slightly worse despite losing the big dogs. During Burman's tenure we've largely failed to compete in revenue sports despite a weakened MWC.

So, Dino, I'm no AD, but there are damn sure some concerning symptoms of a dying department.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Well, Dino, let me put it this way, if I see a heart surgeon whose patients typically die, I sure as hell can't tell him every detail of what to fix because I'm no heart surgeon. At the same time, I can sure as hell tell the heart surgeon is doing something wrong and I wouldn't let that sawbones cut on me.

Outside of 1 tournament run, the heart of athletics is dying. Bball attendance used to be upper end in the nation and then Burman killed it with his buddy hire. Sure DC was a media favorite kind of hire but Burman's job is to determine if that is true. Burman said we needed a high paced offense and utilize the spread to mask our talent deficiencies since we can't recruit to Laramie. Then he switches to the Cowboy tough rah rah stuff and hires Bohl. I like Bohl but I think his hire highlighted Burman's lack of vision and conviction.

I think he is quick to throw coaches and the state under the bus to mask his own shortfalls. He uses coaches as shields for criticism against the athletic department.

His main sales pitch is "well if you want D1athletics, then give me your tax money. He does very little on highlighting what successful programs can do. Rather than generate passion and excitement to get people to follow, he uses the chicken little approach. The overall atmosphere is that of a tomb rather than big time athletics. I would venture to guess that there a big chunk of WYO folks follow another NCAA sports program more closely than WYO. Burman hasn't captured what market he has. Hell, it might be even worse now.

We are heavily state subsidized and our position within the MWC relative to budgets has been stagnant to slightly worse despite losing the big dogs. During Burman's tenure we've largely failed to compete in revenue sports despite a weakened MWC.

So, Dino, I'm no AD, but there are damn sure some concerning symptoms of a dying department.
In a previous story I wrote on http://pokesradio.com/TheDCSpin.aspx I did mention that my one criticism of Burman was in his lack of 'dynamic appeal' if you will. Having the PT Barnum personality to go out and to electrify a constituency. However, I quickly followed that thought up by mentioning that something like that can't really be a fault of Burman's...it's just who he is.

As to the rest of your note, while I respect your view-points I simply see nothing in the way of substantive alternatives to what Burman is currently doing.