Brett Smith Update

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

Smith went 6/14 for 106 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int, for an Average of 7.6 yards and a long of 54 yards passing and also ran twice for nine yards with long of 9 as his Saskatchewan Roughriders fell to the British Columbia Lions 28-16 in the first of 2 CFL exhibition games for his team prior to the start of the season. Link: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/game/bc-lions-sas ... tats#/home
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

He needs to do well in this week's exhibition game, last week he was # 3 on the depth chart and played poorly. He still tends to scramble a lot and leave the pocket before he needs to.

"I'm not trying to take away (Smith's) ability to escape and make plays,'' Jackson said. "At the same time, we're not going to be loosey-goosey with the football, We're not going to throw it up in crowds and we're not going to be running around with one arm on the ball. Those are the things we aren't going to do. I hope that (Smith) gets it corrected if he wants to be here. I'm going to keep working with him and that's all I can do as coach.''
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

It sounds like he needs to find some new scenery with a coach who lets his guys play.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

The riders brought in a few different quarterbacks including Phil Simm's kid I believe. but he just got there that week so he isn't ready for reps. Smith is really liked by the fans but sounds like he'll need to turn it around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

He actually didn't throw a pick. The statline was wrong, but the bomb that went for a TD probably should've been picked. The WR made a good play on the ball to make a potentially bad play into a great one. Source: I watched the game on ESPN3.
FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand

Smith went 2 for 2 for 43 yards with a long of 24 yards and he also ran once for 4 yards but his Saskatchewan Roughriders fell to the Edmonton Eskimos 25-11 in exhibition play. Link: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/game/saskatchewan ... tats#/away
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

He also threw for a touchdown which came back because of a penalty. Speculation is he may be cut tomorrow as he was #4 on the depth chart prior to the game.
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

As expected Brett Smith has been cut by the Roughriders. Story here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.3642704
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

I just saw that
W-Y, Until I Die!
billings
Ranch Hand

too bad. that discipline the coach is looking for is what bohl wants in his qbs as well
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Saw that he has signed with the Ottawa Red Blacks practice squad. How much does a CFL practice player bring in? Hope he gets a fair shot.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I don't think the CFL practice squad guys make much. I think the average salary of a CFL starter is about $90,000/year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Looks like around $30,000.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/footba ... -per-year/

Want to know what the name of his football team REDBLACKS stands for? Go to:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/pe ... -and-logo/
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

If the $30,000 is Canadian, then its currently $23,100 U.S. Wonder if he can speak French?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

wouldn't he be better served in the Arena League, hmmmm...
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

You may well be right, the salaries are in the same range according to the internet sources. If he could work himself up to a solid #2 in Canada he would be ok financially I would think.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

SMITH RIDES INTO TOWN

Last July, Brett Smith (inset) became a starting quarterback in the CFL. Now he’s battling just to stay in the league — added to the Redblacks practice roster earlier this week.

With last year’s CFL most outstanding player Henry Burris on the six-game injured list with a finger injury, there was an opportunity for the Redblacks to add the 24-year-old Smith, who took over for injured Darian Durant last year in Saskatchewan — throwing for 1,822 yards and 15 touchdowns, while rushing for 444 yards and three more touchdowns. Smith was released by the Roughriders in mid-June.

Was he worried he wouldn’t get picked up by another team?

“You never know, but I was confident,” he said. “I was hoping after last year I’d done enough to generate a bit of interest around the league. The fact that Ottawa called, I was pretty ecstatic about that — especially with the kind of team they have and the organization itself, there’s no better place to be.”

Smith said significant playing time helped his development, but he’s excited about the opportunity to learn from Trevor Harris, Henry Burris, Danny O’Brien and Brock Jensen.

“A lot of people say it’s good to sit for a couple of years,” said Smith. “There’s some truth to that, but for me, going out and experiencing the game speed, how you’re supposed to prepare for a game and being in the line of fire — that was the best way to learn.

“Right now, I’m happy to be in position where I can learn a lot from these guys. I was thrown into the fire last year … I’m still glad I got the experience — but I think there’s something extremely beneficial to learning from a guy like Trevor and from Henry, who’s one of the best of all-time.

“It’s a great quarterback room, probably the best one I’ve been in since college. A guy like Henry’s been in the league forever, he helps Trevor out. The experience I got last year, there are some things I picked up and I try to give my two cents to Trevor. It helps all of us. It’s part of being a professional and part of helping a team.”