UW Enrollment Down 3%

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

From Fall of 2015 to Fall 2016. Maybe some eggheads should take a 3% salary hit to help accommodate the woes of the State of Wyoming financial crisis? Or maybe they need to be held to the standard that if enrollment is down, you aren't doing your job, so see ya. Particularly and especially when proven for 75 years that when economic times are tough, enrollment in higher education increases.

Article (although poorly written): http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/lo ... mode=story
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

So they are 359 students less than this time last year...except at this time last year they had had 1 more orientation session than so far this year, each orientation session has about 350 students registering....uh, seriously??? This is news??

And in other news, pumpkin sales have dropped dramatically since late October, should farmers be concerned??
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:So they are 359 students less than this time last year...except at this time last year they had had 1 more orientation session than so far this year, each orientation session has about 350 students registering....uh, seriously??? This is news??

And in other news, pumpkin sales have dropped dramatically since late October, should farmers be concerned??
AND in other news.....stupidity in Yellowstone by humans has increased 75%! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

F*cking Tom Burman
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:F*cking Tom Burman
I know you are just being a wise ass...but for those that don't keep up (or don't get your tone), this one squarely lies on the shoulders of the BOT and the lack of leadership at the top. Going on 12 years now - FWIW.

:thumb:
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:So they are 359 students less than this time last year...except at this time last year they had had 1 more orientation session than so far this year, each orientation session has about 350 students registering....uh, seriously???
As I stated, the article was poorly written. So I took it as this - as you pointed out: With one more orientation session last year than this year, and already being down 359 students, that would really mean they are down roughly 700 students, no? Or are they going to manufacture an extra week on the calendar, so they can fit another orientation in there somewhere (that the article doesn't reference)?

Regardless, it will be interesting to see the reported numbers in November (comparing fall 2015 to fall 2016). UW should be seeing major growth this fall, not break even, not a decrease. Outreach anyone?
Dear Karma,

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
I know you are just being a wise ass...but for those that don't keep up (or don't get your tone), this one squarely lies on the shoulders of the BOT and the lack of leadership at the top. Going on 12 years now - FWIW.

:thumb: :rofl: :winky:
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:So they are 359 students less than this time last year...except at this time last year they had had 1 more orientation session than so far this year, each orientation session has about 350 students registering....uh, seriously???
As I stated, the article was poorly written. So I took it as this - as you pointed out: With one more orientation session last year than this year, and already being down 359 students, that would really mean they are down roughly 700 students, no? Or are they going to manufacture an extra week on the calendar, so they can fit another orientation in there somewhere (that the article doesn't reference)?

Regardless, it will be interesting to see the reported numbers in November (comparing fall 2015 to fall 2016). UW should be seeing major growth this fall, not break even, not a decrease. Outreach anyone?
I read it differently. I took it as saying there will be the same number of orientation sessions as last year, it's just that the reporting calendar had 1 extra orientation session last year compared to this year at the same time. The article said by the next comparison date this would have corrected itself and all orientation sessions will be included.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

I read it differently. I took it as saying there will be the same number of orientation sessions as last year, it's just that the reporting calendar had 1 extra orientation session last year compared to this year at the same time. The article said by the next comparison date this would have corrected itself and all orientation sessions will be included.
I re-read it again, and that could certainly be the meaning I guess. I should have just left this article out, and posted that early indications are that enrollment "could" be down in the fall.
Dear Karma,

cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

I re-read it again, and that could certainly be the meaning I guess. I should have just left this article out, and posted that early indications are that enrollment "could" be down in the fall.
Either way, like you mentioned... Given the current financial situation of the state/university, enrollment should be INCREASING, not "potentially" decreasing.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote:

Double :thumb: :thumb:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

I had the privilege of listening to the new President in Cheyenne. One thing she mentioned was engaging in a strategic enrollment plan...what are optimal numbers, etc. Higher enrollment cuts both ways, especially with resident students. The state subsidizes every in state student on the order of $5000 per head per year...and more if you count Hathaway.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

It probably doesn't help the the quality of a UW education is slipping in the US News & World Report rankings along with possibly cutting tenured staff. A lot of kids graduating from high school nowadays have about a year of classes knocked out before setting foot on a campus. If mom and dad are only paying for three years to get a degree, out of state tuition and a higher quality of education doesn't seem so bad.
Last edited by jessejames02 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
52-56
hithere
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:From Fall of 2015 to Fall 2016. Maybe some eggheads should take a 3% salary hit to help accommodate the woes of the State of Wyoming financial crisis? Or maybe they need to be held to the standard that if enrollment is down, you aren't doing your job, so see ya. Particularly and especially when proven for 75 years that when economic times are tough, enrollment in higher education increases.

Article (although poorly written): http://www.laramieboomerang.com/news/lo ... mode=story
McPeachy,

These data are essentially a preseason poll and are worthless. I'm curious why this article was even written now except as a reminder that the sky is falling.

Most higher ed institutions operate on a uniform reporting date in the fall, often referred to as a census date, to report enrollment and other data. This date is chosen to maximize enrollment numbers after add/drop dates and beginning of the semester instability. I'm not sure when UW's date is, but the Office of Institutional Analysis reports these data and should be the source for enrollment numbers.

http://www.uwyo.edu/oia/
PAPoke
Buckaroo

It's more than just orientation sessions in a calendar year. UW Orientation students haven't even fully committed to UW yet.

Unless things have changed dramatically, I know that the university is expecting less freshman to be entering the university this upcoming school year. This article is pretty poorly written.

UW has been projecting an enrollment shortfall since roughly January, and various offices around campus has begun preparing for the reduced enrollment.