Chuck Pagano was a Cowboy?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Was just reading this article on ESPN. I had no idea Chuck Pagano played safety for the Pokes!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16378 ... ayers-32-1
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yep.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SDPokeFan wrote:Was just reading this article on ESPN. I had no idea Chuck Pagano played safety for the Pokes!

Absolutely not surprised you didn't know this.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Wyovanian wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:Was just reading this article on ESPN. I had no idea Chuck Pagano played safety for the Pokes!

I'm not surprised either. LOL I do know that Pagano being a former Wyoming player was talked about on this board a few years ago. Had to do with his health problems and him taking a few weeks off from coaching the Colts.

Helps to have a great memory. Love driving my entire family crazy about that.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:

I'm surprised you come off your high horse long enough to use a keyboard to comment in this forum. Is it lonely up on that pedestal?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Pokes in the Pros, always good
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

I'm surprised you come off your high horse long enough to use a keyboard to comment in this forum. Is it lonely up on that pedestal?
It's not a high horse. It's regular size. Problem is you come off like the surrender monkey riding a poodle to the front. All this nonsense about dropping football when your knowledge of Wyoming Football in general appears to be lacking...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

It's not a high horse. It's regular size. Problem is you come off like the surrender monkey riding a poodle to the front. All this nonsense about dropping football when your knowledge of Wyoming Football in general appears to be lacking...
Well I'm (relatively) young and don't know every player who ever played. So if that makes me "unknowledgeable" I guess that's something I have to wear. I do know the team stinks in the present, but hope springs eternal come fall!
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I believe Coach Pagano is the first Poke Player to hold a Head Coaching position in the NFL. We've had several former players and coaches serve as assistant coaches in the NFL, but I'm fairly certain he'd the only former Poke player to take the reigns of an NFL franchise.

The only former UW head coach, that I'm aware of, to make it as a head coach in the NFL is William H. "Lone Star" Dietz who coached the Cowboys during the 1924, 25 and 26 seasons. He served as the Boston Redskins Head Coach from 1933 to 1934. According to team lore the Redskins took their mascot from the fact that Dietz claimed to be a Native American. He was a teammate of Jim Thorpe on the Carlisle Indians, but many Native American groups dispute that Deitz was of actual Native American heritage.

The Boston Redskins moved from Bean Town to Washington, DC in 1937.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

The Virginian wrote:I believe Coach Pagano is the first Poke Player to hold a Head Coaching position in the NFL. We've had several former players and coaches serve as assistant coaches in the NFL, but I'm fairly certain he'd the only former Poke player to take the reigns of an NFL franchise.

The only former UW head coach, that I'm aware of, to make it as a head coach in the NFL is William H. "Lone Star" Dietz who coached the Cowboys during the 1924, 25 and 26 seasons. He served as the Boston Redskins Head Coach from 1933 to 1934. According to team lore the Redskins took their mascot from the fact that Dietz claimed to be a Native American. He was a teammate of Jim Thorpe on the Carlisle Indians, but many Native American groups dispute that Deitz was of actual Native American heritage.

And to add...the franchise was originally known as the Boston Braves similar to the baseball team in that area at that time. The baseball Braves eventually moved to Milwaukee and then to Atlanta.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Danmully
Ranch Hand

Dennis erikson was head coach here and in the pros.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

The Virginian wrote:I believe Coach Pagano is the first Poke Player to hold a Head Coaching position in the NFL. We've had several former players and coaches serve as assistant coaches in the NFL, but I'm fairly certain he'd the only former Poke player to take the reigns of an NFL franchise.

Dennis Erickson
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Danmully wrote:Dennis erikson was head coach here and in the pros.
True, I had forgotten about him...in more ways than one.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Dennis Erickson wasn't a Wyoming guy. He wasn't in the state long enough to qualify for resident tuition.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.