Northern Illinois

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

It's almost July. Fall camp starts in a month. Time to talk football.

Wyoming opens at home with Northern Illinois. Last I checked NIU was a 10-point favorite. The Huskies ended their 2015 season with one of the biggest beat downs in the history of football, losing 7-55 and being out gained 33-654 in San Diego. Wyoming closed 2015 by beating UNLV 35-28 at home.

I won't go as far as to say this is a must-win game for Bohl, but beating NIU would be a good step in the right direction. A win that would suggest this program is on the right road. Progress.

According to Phil Steele's magazine, NIU gets back 8 starters on offense and 6 on defense, including a 1st-team All-American CB. I'm expecting a close game. I don't know about you guys, but I like opening with a respectable opponent like NIU. One of only a few active G5 teams to play in a major bowl. First time in forever opening day isn't clouded by a "Dammit, please don't lose to this FCS school" feeling. If we lose, oh well. The neutral observer would say we should lose...but if the Cowboys win, that's a helluva great start to a season the "experts" aren't expecting much from UW.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

I wouldn't say it's must win, NIU is a very good team, but I'd say it'd be a very good win if the Cowboys won.. best of Bohl's tenure here, and maybe one of the top wins of his career.
ImageImageImageImage
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It would be coach Bohl's best win at Wyoming.....but that blowout over Fresno was pretty sweet too. I expect nothing other than a hard fought game that could go either way. My hope is the Pokes come out fired up in front of a good crowd and the Pokes show us why coach Bohl was the right choice to get this thing turned around.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

I'm waiting to hear how the kicker does when he gets here if he isn't already. Getting 0 points on decent drives is a killer. 14-6 is better than 14-0 that's for sure! A decent kicking game can make up a touchdown or more each game and if the D could allow one less, boom we're in a few more games if not winning them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I don't expect us to win this game. I think the UC-Davis game will be the measuring stick. We need to win that game, and win big. Otherwise we are probably once again staring at a long season.