BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Snowflake wrote:Y'all should come play with us. :)
Tried to, security wouldn't let me.
Lemme know when you're coming, I'll open the door :)
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

My take is that TAMU is generating enough steam to run roughshod over the state of Texas and the Longhorn pride can't stand it. I think it is desperate return fire against the SEC. I'm probably wrong, but I think there is too much emphasis on program merits when evaluating potential candidates and not enough consideration on geography.

I could see them targeting the likes of the 2 directional Florida schools, Houston, and Tulane.

That secures the longhorn presence in Houston and puts OU, UT, etc. in front of some of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the SEC. You know, like the SEC did to the Big 12.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

If the Big XII expands to 12, both schools will be to the east (Cincy, Houston, Memphis...in order of likelihood). If the Big XII expands to 14, I still think it will be to the east (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UConn).
I don't think the Big XII will settle for any football only members (Sorry BYU and Boise St).
Speaking as a Denver native, CSU does not deliver the Denver market (but more still than Wyoming...sorry fellow Poke fans...talk of Wyoming having a presence in Denver always makes me laugh out loud)
IF BYU decides to give up independence, they will join the American (possibly to replace losses to the Big XII).
Either way, Texas and Oklahoma bolt as soon as they can justify the GOR losses that they will incur and then who knows what will happen.
Wyoming needs to start winning and need to do it soon (Not super optimistic about this year).
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

cowpoke pride wrote:If the Big XII expands to 12, both schools will be to the east (Cincy, Houston, Memphis...in order of likelihood). If the Big XII expands to 14, I still think it will be to the east (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UConn). I don't think the Big XII will settle for any football only members (Sorry BYU and Boise St).

Speaking as a Denver native, CSU does not deliver the Denver market (but more still than Wyoming...sorry fellow Poke fans...talk of Wyoming having a presence in Denver always makes me laugh out loud).

IF BYU decides to give up independence, they will join the American (possibly to replace losses to the Big XII).
Either way, Texas and Oklahoma bolt as soon as they can justify the GOR losses that they will incur and then who knows what will happen.

Wyoming needs to start winning and need to do it soon (Not super optimistic about this year).
Good post. Hope you are correct on the first part. Last part couldn't be more true.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start.
Again, this has nothing to do with the on-the-field products. I never said Wyoming needs to move down to FCS (because I don't believe that), so not sure why the hostility.
How else are we going to end up in a conference with the Dakotas and Montana?
SDSU has a brand new stadium that's going to be pretty sweet, NDSU would love to move up, Montana is probably the most ready FCS school to move-up.. it's not out of the realm of possibility. Esp given the way that college football seems to be shaking out. I've heard one Big Sky coach say to boosters that he wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sky moved up (at least some of the members) to an FBS conference.
Yeah, this SDSU stadium looks sweet!

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Looks like a rundown POS
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Except it's brand new and now holds 16,000+. It'll be one of the better, if not the best, stadium in the MVFC.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I'd be asking for my money back. Maybe this is just a bad picture, but I'm not impressed.

For example why benches instead of chairbacks?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote:I'd be asking for my money back. Maybe this is just a bad picture, but I'm not impressed.

For example why benches instead of chairbacks?
So you can be a dick to visiting fans and put your legs up to take their seats.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:you never want a Montana or a Dakota school you want teams big cities that have high potential to become good.
So reading this, I take it you don't want Wyoming in the Mountain West?
Not even close. I don't want a Montana or Dakota school in the MW. Im talking about what I want for wyomings conference. I don't want Wyoming thrown out I want the rest of the conference added to
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
This is a university of Wyoming message board. Ideas here should be improvement of wyomings standing. Montana and Dakota schools would not do that. Plus those people all need big fish in small pond feelings. Wyoming people don't need that.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
You should go research this a bit further. Wyoming and the Dakota's/ Montana's don't really have that much in common in academics, sports, or endowments. They serve different missions.

I just don't see much of what they would have in common besides sharing borders.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Sorry, I forgot my posts can only be by Coeur D'Alene's definition of pro-Wyoming. I'll add it to the list of posting requirements, as well as the previous anti-Bohl requirements of this board.

I'm sorry for having an opinion. It'll never happen again.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:s: Mountain West needs to be expanding as well. Houston BYU Wichita and Gonzaga.
Step 2- long besan, pepperdine,san francisco denver. Then figure out if you want another texas school weather it's all paso smu . I think you want tulane
So Montana (176.9m) doesn't have a big enough endowment, but Gonzaga (185.6m), Long Beach State (57.2m) and UTEP (151.2m) do?

And yet, if that's as important as you think to these schools, you expect Houston (716.4m) and BYU (1.47b) to ignore all that to team up with a much smaller Wyoming, which also means joining a conference with SJSU (120m), Fresno State (166m), etc?

Works both ways.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:Plus those people all need big fish in small pond feelings. Wyoming people don't need that.
This is a ridiculous statement.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

You want more research? Which of these sets more closely resembles a town with a population of 32,000?

San Jose, CA 998,000
Las Vegas, NV 603,000
Albuquerque, NM 556,000
Fresno, CA 509,000
Honolulu, HI 375,000
Reno, NV 233,000
Boise, ID 215,000

OR

Fargo, ND 113,000
Missoula, MT 69,000
Grand Forks, ND 55,000
Bozeman, MT 40,000
Brookings, SD 23,000
Vermillion, SD 11,000
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Going to FCS means losing scholarships and having Big Time programs like Nebraska and Texas come to Laramie. We have a die-hard base of fans that will support Wyoming no matter what (I include myself in that category) but just having FCS schools come to Laramie will make driving to the games much less desirable for the casual fan and thus cut attendance. Going to FCS is a revenue loser in my opinion.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Once again, I never said anything about going to FCS.
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

If this is a Wyoming Cowboy board, then by proxy what makes the MWC a better conference, has everything to do with Wyoming and it's athletic department. There isn't a flaming snowballs chance in hell Wyoming gets into a P5 conference any time soon. Entertaining that thought is a lot crazier than entertaining the thought of Montana, NDSU, or UTEP being good additions to help bulk up conference prestige in the MWC.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator