BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
t doesn't cost millions. It wouldn't cost any more than $10k. And that's a stretch. They could raise that with 5-10 phone calls. Let's just say I would have known about any such effort.
Let's just say I would have too.

But my point was not about the cost of a presentation, as they could swing that. My point was about how politically difficult it would be to be seen making such a pointless presentation, a presentation that would necessarily include promises to the Big XII of spending millions...in this fiscal mess UW is in.
I wouldn't be too concerned about that. In the extremely unlikely event that they would add UW, the cost of those promises would be less than the extra money we would bring in by being a member of a big 5 conference.

$25+ million...the amount each school in the Big XII got last year from the conference. in 2015, the most any MWC-school got was Boise state at $9.3 million. That same year, Wyoming only received $1.3 million.
Exactly my point.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Another article from the Daily Oklahoma about the Big XII expansion mess...

http://newsok.com/tramel-big-12-job-fai ... le/5513640
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

And here is the "Wyoming Mindset". Risk-averse and afraid to fail.
And here is "magical thinking," in which you address everything but my point.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Add UNLV to the list of teams who've submitted paperwork.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:Add UNLV to the list of teams who've submitted paperwork.
See above...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

They won't come out West. They already take up 2 time zones, no need to add a third. They'll snag Houston and either Cincy or Memphis
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:Another article from the Daily Oklahoma about the Big XII expansion mess...

Gotta love this quote...

"Wyoming is about the coolest place in the Lower 48; maybe the Cowboys have a shot."
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
And here is the "Wyoming Mindset". Risk-averse and afraid to fail.
And here is "magical thinking," in which you address everything but my point.
I did address it. If they used private money, you have no point.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Wyovanian wrote:
Wyokie wrote:Another article from the Daily Oklahoma about the Big XII expansion mess...

Gotta love this quote...

"Wyoming is about the coolest place in the Lower 48; maybe the Cowboys have a shot."
Loved that line. First time I ever saw someone at the Oklahoman say (or write) something pro-Wyoming and I've been here since 1991!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote:They won't come out West. They already take up 2 time zones, no need to add a third. They'll snag Houston and either Cincy or Memphis
Actually, from a TV standpoint, having games across three time zones is not a bad thing...

That being said, the logistical challenges of three time zones for the programs and the conference means the TV payout needs to be commensurate, and given the TV partner's push back, I doubt they could get there.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
wyokoke wrote:They won't come out West. They already take up 2 time zones, no need to add a third. They'll snag Houston and either Cincy or Memphis
Actually, from a TV standpoint, having games across three time zones is not a bad thing...

That being said, the logistical challenges of three time zones for the programs and the conference means the TV payout needs to be commensurate, and given the TV partner's push back, I doubt they could get there.
For football I think 3 time zones would be a great thing, it gives extra kickoff time options for TV to pickup and get more eyeballs on TV in some areas for games that are "too late" for other time zones. Of course, you need to be in a large conference. The MW is in 3 time zones but we really don't compare...

But there's no way it makes any sense for track, wrestling, soccer, and/or baseball teams to travel regularly between Morgantown and Fort Collins/Provo/Boise/wherever. But then again football drives the bus...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

For football I think 3 time zones would be a great thing, it gives extra kickoff time options for TV to pickup and get more eyeballs on TV in some areas for games that are "too late" for other time zones. Of course, you need to be in a large conference. The MW is in 3 time zones but we really don't compare...

But there's no way it makes any sense for track, wrestling, soccer, and/or baseball teams to travel regularly between Morgantown and Fort Collins/Provo/Boise/wherever. But then again football drives the bus...
We are? I thought it was only Mountain time and Pacific time zones.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

We are? I thought it was only Mountain time and Pacific time zones.
I was including Hawaii
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

You are right, I forgot about them.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

WYCowboy wrote:You are right, I forgot about them.
Easy to do...personally I wished they were not a part of our conference (along with San Jose State). The MWC commissioners office rivals the Wyoming Athletics office.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
Easy to do...personally I wished they were not a part of our conference (along with San Jose State). The MWC commissioners office rivals the Wyoming Athletics office.
Agreed. We'd be better off without Hawaii and SJSU and with some Oklahoma/ Texas schools.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Wyovanian wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Agreed. We'd be better off without Hawaii and SJSU and with some Oklahoma/ Texas schools.
I completely agree on SJSU. KNEW years years adding San Jose State was a BAD idea!!!!!!!!!! The morons at the MWC officers never did learn from the WAC-16 mistakes that ended in "divorce." NEVER EVER ADD SJSU!!!!

As for Hawaii, as much as I like Hawaii since I have friends living there, I sadly agree we never shoulda added them in complete hindsight. Although I am glad the Paniolo Trophy is back on again, the series needs to end with the Pokes getting OUR trophy back from them and keeping it....for good since the last Paniolo Trophy, the original one, got stolen...literally!!!!
LifeItself
Buckaroo

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

According to this, the Big XII aka Big Mess is NOT interested in ANY MW schools....

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/8/30/ ... idate-list
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Hawaii is a great school for this conference. Yeah there are Oklahoma an Texas schools that would be better. But that is 6 schools this conference couldn't get right now and Houston. Tulsa, rice, SMU, and UTEP are schools that wouldn't be as good for the MWC as Hawaii is