BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Looks like it's back on, and the sheep are still in the mix.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... umed-dead/
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

CSU is a longshot, but it wouldn't be totally shocking. I can imagine the conference salivating at that big Denver market.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SnowyRange wrote:CSU is a longshot, but it wouldn't be totally shocking. I can imagine the conference salivating at that big Denver market.
If only the Sheep delivered that market. They don't deliver anything south of the Larimer County line.

The Big 12 will expand east.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyovanian wrote:The Big 12 will expand east.
They have to to appease West Virginia.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

depends of if they expand to 12 or 14. With 12 I don't think CSU has an outside shot but if they decide to expand to 14 they have to be considered.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

There is no clearer picture of the lack of vision (energy, ambition, drive, desire, etc.) within the athletic department at the University of Wyoming the last 10+ years than this.

Our #1 rival, our closest competition, our once "equal" (and in some cases inferior) has surpassed us by leap and bounds. Where they have planted seeds with an impressive brochure and informational piece to ask to join the Big12, we have sat silent and made excuses.

It will be a VERY sad day in the history of Wyoming athletics, if bWHYu or CSewe get invited to join the Big12. Maybe the saddest day in the history of the University of Wyoming...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

McPeachy wrote:There is no clearer picture of the lack of vision (energy, ambition, drive, desire, etc.) within the athletic department at the University of Wyoming the last 10+ years than this.

Our #1 rival, our closest competition, our once "equal" (and in some cases inferior) has surpassed us by leap and bounds. Where they have planted seeds with an impressive brochure and informational piece to ask to join the Big12, we have sat silent and made excuses.

It will be a VERY sad day in the history of Wyoming athletics, if bWHYu or CSewe get invited to join the Big12. Maybe the saddest day in the history of the University of Wyoming...

Amen brother. I couldn't agree more. As I sit and listen to local sports radio in the Utah market, and listen to the fact that BYU and CSU are seriously being considered, makes me sad for our future. I have listened to multiple people this morning that work for the B12. According to the Big12 columnist on air just now, East would be nice, but CSU and BYU are in the mix. Listening to this makes me shake my head.

If the B12 expands four teams, CSU and BYU are likely in. Unfrickinbelievable.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:There is no clearer picture of the lack of vision (energy, ambition, drive, desire, etc.) within the athletic department at the University of Wyoming the last 10+ years than this.

Yep, they put together an impressive brochure with a bunch of limited info. The only thing CSU has going in it's favor is Denver. If they can FOOL the big 12 into thinking they deliver any of the Denver market, they have a chance. Other than that, they have done nothing to surpass us. All their facilities are sub par when compared to ours. Their new stadium will be nice, but so will ours when all is said and done.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't know what we could have done. It's ALL, and I repeat ALL about media market size. Look at Boise, semi-national following, Fiesta Bowls galore, blue turf poop, university on an upward trajectory and they are not going to get in because why? Because their media market is not large. It's all about media market and unfortunately no amount of innovation, ingenuity or ambition can make up for our tiny media market. Sucks.

Having said that how hard is it to make a damn brochure and send it to the BIG XII. might get us some national attention.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I don't know what we could have done. It's ALL, and I repeat ALL about media market size. Look at Boise, semi-national following, Fiesta Bowls galore, blue turf poop, university on an upward trajectory and they are not going to get in because why? Because their media market is not large. It's all about media market and unfortunately no amount of innovation, ingenuity or ambition can make up for our tiny media market. Sucks.

Having said that how hard is it to make a damn brochure and send it to the BIG XII. might get us some national attention.
Maybe we did and who knows. There were a lot of schools contacting the Big12....more than are being mentioned. It would be an easy transition for us since our wrestling program is already in the Big12.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:

Yep, they put together an impressive brochure with a bunch of limited info. The only thing CSU has going in it's favor is Denver. If they can FOOL the big 12 into thinking they deliver any of the Denver market, they have a chance. Other than that, they have done nothing to surpass us. All their facilities are sub par when compared to ours. Their new stadium will be nice, but so will ours when all is said and done.
Not trying to start a pissing match by any means, so I apologize to begin with, in the event this comes across the wrong way. But you can't possibly believe what you wrote...or you don't know any better and have a jaded view for one reason or another (as a lot of proud Wyoming fans have - I have learned).

Have you read the brochure (it was on another post, here at Wyonation, a few months ago)? CSewe didn't put that out with half-facts, or well-wishing. It was impressive (just threw up in my mouth), and clearly defined not only the reasons they should be included in expansion, but the efforts they have put forward the last 10 years to get to where they are.

As sad as this is to say, they have a legitimate shot - and that is a fact. We have no shot, and again - have an administration (along with all other UW brass) that has sat silent and made excuses, with and including "doing more with less".

I could go on and on, but may end up having a stroke.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:I don't know what we could have done. It's ALL, and I repeat ALL about media market size. Look at Boise, semi-national following, Fiesta Bowls galore, blue turf poop, university on an upward trajectory and they are not going to get in because why? Because their media market is not large. It's all about media market and unfortunately no amount of innovation, ingenuity or ambition can make up for our tiny media market. Sucks.

I am not sure you are looking at the whole picture. Did you read CSewe's brochure (from a post here a few months ago)? If not, take a look at it...it has a LOT more in it that the Colorado TV market. Which, speaking of, CSewe probably owns as much of the Colorado TV market as Cewe does at this point.

Maybe Boise State isn't getting the look that CSewe is for academic reasons / standards / enrollment (22k vs. 32k)? Maybe it is for lack of success with other sports (Volleyball, Women's Hoops, etc.)? Maybe it is that gawd-awful field? Location? History? We could go on and on I guess.

Maybe Boise didn't put together (nor have the ability / substance to put together) the pitch that CSewe did? I was told, by a credible source Wyoming didn't contact the Big 12 for inclusion (at any point up until now). Maybe that will change, but I doubt it.
Dear Karma,

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Colorado State DOES deliver the Denver media market, if that's what they want. Right now, if there were a Big XII Network, TV providers in Denver would have no need to pick it up and offer it to customers. If CSU were to join, the station would be added to these packages.

It's not 100% about the number of eyes who watch a team, but its also about the number of POTENTIAL eyes who are in the market. Every person in the Denver media market becomes a potential viewer. It's not as important how big the fan base is. It's getting the coverage in the market that these conferences are going for.

Take the Big Ten. The reason they expanded east was because of TV markets of NY/NJ and Washington DC. How many people do you think watch Rutgers football on a Saturday afternoon in NYC? Probably not many, similar to how you look at CSU in the Denver market. But it's getting the conference into the market that's most important to these conferences, not necessarily the number of fans of a particular school.

Since Wyoming and Boise State have been brought up, which of these media markets would you rather have if you were the Big XII?
17. Denver
107. Boise
197. Cheyenne
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Take the Big Ten. The reason they expanded east was because of TV markets of NY/NJ and Washington DC. How many people do you think watch Rutgers football on a Saturday afternoon in NYC? Probably not many, similar to how you look at CSU in the Denver market. But it's getting the conference into the market that's most important to these conferences, not necessarily the number of fans of a particular school.
Exactly.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Colorado State DOES deliver the Denver media market, if that's what they want. Right now, if there were a Big XII Network, TV providers in Denver would have no need to pick it up and offer it to customers. If CSU were to join, the station would be added to these packages.

It's not 100% about the number of eyes who watch a team, but its also about the number of POTENTIAL eyes who are in the market. Every person in the Denver media market becomes a potential viewer. It's not as important how big the fan base is. It's getting the coverage in the market that these conferences are going for.

Since Wyoming and Boise State have been brought up, which of these media markets would you rather have if you were the Big XII?
17. Denver
107. Boise
197. Cheyenne
If that's true, then why isn't Houston in the Big XII already? Or Rice? Why does Boise get the extra coin from the TV contracts but not CSU? I think it comes down to what can actually be delivered in a market.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Lost Poke wrote:If that's true, then why isn't Houston in the Big XII already? Or Rice? Why does Boise get the extra coin from the TV contracts but not CSU? I think it comes down to what can actually be delivered in a market.
There's this school by the name of the University of Texas, maybe you've heard of them? Houston TVs would all have the Big XII Channel with or without the University of Houston or Rice University.

Boise gets extra money because the MWC got scared that they would leave the conference a few years back.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
Lost Poke wrote:If that's true, then why isn't Houston in the Big XII already? Or Rice? Why does Boise get the extra coin from the TV contracts but not CSU? I think it comes down to what can actually be delivered in a market.
There's this school by the name of the University of Texas, maybe you've heard of them? Houston TVs would all have the Big XII Channel with or without the University of Houston or Rice University.

Boise gets extra money because the MWC got scared that they would leave the conference a few years back.
So what you're saying is... San Jose State to the Big 12!! Look at that TV market lol.

The Big 12 chose to add TCU, if they did that I don't think we can cross Houston off the list that easily.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

cali2wyo wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

So what you're saying is... San Jose State to the Big 12!! Look at that TV market lol.

The Big 12 chose to add TCU, if they did that I don't think we can cross Houston off the list that easily.
Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis, are the most likely candidates. Looking at a map and considering ease of travel/ access as well as best possible contiguity, I think CSEwe only has a shot if they go to 14 teams (which I think is unlikely), and then, while Denver is a big (#17) media market, the Florida markets are much bigger and the travel cons are very comparable. I'd say CSEWe, if they only expand to 12 teams, has about a 5% chance of getting picked, but about a 40% chance if they go to 14 teams.

That being said, I mostly agree that UW leadership has failed to accept the challenge of, to paraphrase JFK, doing the hard thing, the things many would say are impossible and most would say are improbable. Nothing great or unexpected ever came from anyone resigning themselves to a fate that lacked any semblance of ambition or fortitude.

We call ourselves "Cowboy Tough" and then choose to stay out of the very fray that determines the walkers from the talkers.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Let me make myself clear. A school's athletic profile does make a difference. I've never said it doesn't matter. But media markets matter a considerable amount, as well.

It's a combination of both that's the reason why you don't see us in the running. We don't have the athletic profile, but even if we did it would still be a longshot because we don't deliver a large market.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:The Big 12 chose to add TCU, if they did that I don't think we can cross Houston off the list that easily.
I never said we can cross Houston off the list. All I said is that they are a school that wouldn't be added for its media market because the Big XII already has the entire state of Texas. It's athletic profile first and foremost that will matter for them, just like it did for TCU.