BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Coeur d' Alene wrote:s: Mountain West needs to be expanding as well. Houston BYU Wichita and Gonzaga.
Step 2- long besan, pepperdine,san francisco denver. Then figure out if you want another texas school weather it's all paso smu . I think you want tulane
"all paso"
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote:
Coeur d' Alene wrote:s: Mountain West needs to be expanding as well. Houston BYU Wichita and Gonzaga.
Step 2- long besan, pepperdine,san francisco denver. Then figure out if you want another texas school weather it's all paso smu . I think you want tulane
"all paso"
Voice typing, no proofread.

Do you think the mwc should expand?
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

Houston and BYU might not be options for the MW at this point considering their on the short-list of names the Big 12 is talking to.

I think that's a more realistic approach, for the MW to expand and retain the teams it already has but only if the teams have the merit. SJSU is a dumpster fire addition. UTEP and Montana would be ideal but a lot of Grizz fans would rather be a top dog in FCS instead of taking their chances in FBS and possibly end up like Idaho. UTEP really doesn't add many eyeballs even though it's in Texas but that opens up a recruiting pipeline in the most prosperous state in the country. SMU would be nice but let's see what happens when the dust settles with the whole sudden retirement of Larry Brown and the NCAA starting to investigate.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:UTEP and Montana would be ideal but a lot of Grizz fans would rather be a top dog in FCS instead of taking their chances in FBS and possibly end up like Idaho.
I don't know if Montana would have the same problems as Idaho. Just doing a quick comparison, Missoula is twice as large as Moscow. Missoula is second-largest city in MT while Moscow is 12th in Idaho. That alone makes a big difference. Montana is THE state school, while Idaho is at best second fiddle to BSU.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Montana should be a never. there are lots of real schools to talk about. the Moscow Pullman area also has the city of Spokane and Coeur d'Alene. Gonzaga could bring a pretty big Market Spokane is more Gonzaga than Washington State Cougar area
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

media markets are a big deal my plan Rings Denver Houston Los Angeles San Francisco in addition to Spokane and Wichita and the Salt Lake Valley into the Mountain West. you never want a Montana or a Dakota school you want teams big cities that have high potential to become good. Long Beach State could become a good school with the right help from a conference. a school that doesn't take football Revenue but could become a good basketball school as well as a good school for All Sports overall. if you take the Montana Grizzlies you're hoping they can still have 20,000 people show up after they don't go 11 and one every year
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:you never want a Montana or a Dakota school you want teams big cities that have high potential to become good.
So reading this, I take it you don't want Wyoming in the Mountain West?
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

Coeur d' Alene wrote:media markets are a big deal my plan Rings Denver Houston Los Angeles San Francisco in addition to Spokane and Wichita and the Salt Lake Valley into the Mountain West. you never want a Montana or a Dakota school you want teams big cities that have high potential to become good. Long Beach State could become a good school with the right help from a conference. a school that doesn't take football Revenue but could become a good basketball school as well as a good school for All Sports overall. if you take the Montana Grizzlies you're hoping they can still have 20,000 people show up after they don't go 11 and one every year
I couldn't disagree more. San Jose State is within one of the nations largest media markets and have no pull in the Bay Area. They play like 11th fiddle to 2 NFL teams, an NBA team 2 years removed from a title, MLB team with 3 World Series wins in the last 15 years, Stanford, Cal, and so on. Conferences don't go through all the hassle of re-alignment to add a basketball-only school like Gonzaga unless it's the Big East whose members are primarily if not exclusively small, private, high-brow Parochial colleges. The Big 12 added West Virginia because the large and loyal fanbase, historically relevant in both football and basketball, dedicated Alumni, and the facilities were already there. West Virginia wasn't added because maybe that would draw a few extra eyeballs from the closest metropolitan area; Pittsburgh PA.

Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
You would think Montana would want to follow in Georgia Southern and Appalachian State's footsteps, or future Fun Belt member Coastal Carolina.. alas, the Griz are FCS for the foreseeable future.
ImageImageImageImage
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

If the Big XII and BYU can't come to an agreement because of BYU's religious concessions, do you think BYU tries to stay the course, dig in their heels, and continue trying to be the Mormon version of Notre Dame as an independent? Or can you see them be humbled enough to come back to the MW? BYU probably thought they would be a lot more competitive in basketball and albeit their football team has been okay, leaving the MW hasn't panned out for them. Or was the break-up way too messy for the other conference members to agree to it?
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:If the Big XII and BYU can't come to an agreement because of BYU's religious concessions, do you think BYU tries to stay the course, dig in their heels, and continue trying to be the Mormon version of Notre Dame as an independent? Or can you see them be humbled enough to come back to the MW? BYU probably thought they would be a lot more competitive in basketball and albeit their football team has been okay, leaving the MW hasn't panned out for them. Or was the break-up way too messy for the other conference members to agree to it?
Wow. so much to reply to ....

The only way BYU will go to Big 12 is they need to make some serious concessions. The reason the MWC hates them is because they were haughty and arrogant. If they come into B12 with guns a blazing and a bunch of demands, Big12 will tell them to pound sand. I live in Utah and listen to sports radio for several hours a day. Word on the street is that BYU would make concessions on things like the TV deal, but Sunday play is not going to happen. If BYU wants in they will need to somehow strike a deal that they won't play Sundays. BYU is high maintenance, honestly. May not be worth it to the Big12.

As for the Mormon version of Notre Dame, as someone who is affiliated with the same religion as BYU, I pray that never happens. BYU doesn't represent all of us. If BYU sports are to be a gateway for sharing with people about the church, they get a big fat F. They are failing at it. Going from game to game, sport to sport, embarrassing the church along the way. If they announced BYU got rid of their sports program it would be a glorious day.

As for coming back to the MWC, BYU is too proud to do that. Also, many of the MWC feel they fooled us once, and won't be fooled again. MWC may consider it if BYU signed into a large contract and a massive buyout. I think they will waste into irrelevancy before crawl back to MWC.

With all that being said, the culture of BYU has changed in the past several months. It is very very obvious. Bronco was an idiot. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but he was playing ecclesiastical leader first, and football coach second. He was championing cheesy marketing crap like "Perfection on and off the field." During his tenure, I have never seen BYU football so into themselves. Kalani Sitake is 180 opposite of Bronco. He is a good dude and all football coach. I have met him several times. In fact, I was kind of bummed when he went to BYU because I respect and like him. I am hoping, being LDS myself, that Sitake can change the perception of BYU. He seems humble, and is very likable. I am hoping he tones it the hell down from where they have been
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start. You and SDPoke and CUttslam should hang out and talk about this in private where no one else can hear you guys. embarrassing :thumbdown:
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

BYU gained relevance in the late 70's after Arizona State left the WAC. When they won their watered down title in '84, they really felt that they had arrived and could compete day in and day out with the big boys of college football. Still have that mind set from the 80's and 90's but in reality, they are not the program they were under Lavell Edwards.

In my opinion, no way the Big XII takes them. There is already one diva in the conference, Texas, and they came out yesterday and said they would welcome Houston as an addition. This leaves one more school as I would be surprised if they add three to go to 14.

Early leaders in the clubhouse are Cincinnati or one of the Florida schools. Have to keep West Virginia happy and adding BYU doesn't help for a number of reason.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start.
Again, this has nothing to do with the on-the-field products. I never said Wyoming needs to move down to FCS (because I don't believe that), so not sure why the hostility.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Vancopoke wrote:BYU gained relevance in the late 70's after Arizona State left the WAC. When they won their watered down title in '84, they really felt that they had arrived and could compete day in and day out with the big boys of college football. Still have that mind set from the 80's and 90's but in reality, they are not the program they were under Lavell Edwards.

In my opinion, no way the Big XII takes them. There is already one diva in the conference, Texas, and they came out yesterday and said they would welcome Houston as an addition. This leaves one more school as I would be surprised if they add three to go to 14.

Early leaders in the clubhouse are Cincinnati or one of the Florida schools. Have to keep West Virginia happy and adding BYU doesn't help for a number of reason.
Or Memphis has a lot of momentum as well
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Some are not like the others. The Dakots and Montana? You haven't been around long enough to say crap like this. I don't even know where to start.
Again, this has nothing to do with the on-the-field products. I never said Wyoming needs to move down to FCS (because I don't believe that), so not sure why the hostility.
How else are we going to end up in a conference with the Dakotas and Montana?
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

Most likely scenario: The P5 schools decide to branch out on their own, tell the NCAA to suck it, and leave the rest of the schools to fend for themselves.

This is all doomsday hypothetical stuff though so take it with a grain of salt.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
SDSU has a brand new stadium that's going to be pretty sweet, NDSU would love to move up, Montana is probably the most ready FCS school to move-up.. it's not out of the realm of possibility. Esp given the way that college football seems to be shaking out. I've heard one Big Sky coach say to boosters that he wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sky moved up (at least some of the members) to an FBS conference.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

MrTitleist wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
SDSU has a brand new stadium that's going to be pretty sweet, NDSU would love to move up, Montana is probably the most ready FCS school to move-up.. it's not out of the realm of possibility. Esp given the way that college football seems to be shaking out. I've heard one Big Sky coach say to boosters that he wouldn't be surprised if the Big Sky moved up (at least some of the members) to an FBS conference.
I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago (maybe more) that the NCAA put a moratorium on new conferences. I wonder what the status of that is.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.