BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:This assumes this Big XII doesn't blow up altogether.
It will. One way or another.
I hope so. That would be the best thing for our complacent uninspired athletic department. After all these years, it has never been more clear, that we are not going anywhere - and don't (and never will under our current way of doing things) aspire to.

4 - 16 team super conferences playing each other every year, and the other 64 teams staying FBS but playing their own ilk, with their own bowl games, etc. Meh.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Big XII to hold interviews with 17 different schools to discuss expansion. Schools included: byu, Cincinnati, Houston, CSU, Boise State, San Diego State, and New Mexico among others...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -expansion
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

Nice to see Arkansas State and Northern Illinois could find the time to submit their paperwork, but Wyoming couldn't be bothered to even see if there was any interest.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

spindoctor02 wrote:Nice to see Arkansas State and Northern Illinois could find the time to submit their paperwork, but Wyoming couldn't be bothered to even see if there was any interest.
That's because we have a jackass running the asylum. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

spindoctor02 wrote:Nice to see Arkansas State and Northern Illinois could find the time to submit their paperwork, but Wyoming couldn't be bothered to even see if there was any interest.
This! But Burman's small mindset couldn't even sling some BS at them. poop, I bet some of us here could weave together a letter that would almost convince them they needed us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote:
This! But Burman's small mindset couldn't even sling some BS at them. poop, I bet some of us here could weave together a letter that would almost convince them they needed us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has been bugging the sh-t out of me since I read the official list of 17 candidates. As I understand it, this was basically an open casting call. WTF would Wyoming have to lose by pitching this? Zero. In fact I'd argue, that, properly pitched, even if we were declined, we'd earn some media notice and maybe some often overlooked respect for one of the most unique college athletics programs in the country...

There is no longer any doubt on my part that we have a complete lack of vision at the top of our Athletics Office. President Nichols should have "Replace Athletic Director" in the top three of her "To Do" list.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status ... 7669733376 Looks like Air Force submitted their paperwork too.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

New Mexico is a way better choice for that conference than anyone wants to admit. I sure hope they don't win out. I hope Houston, BYU and even though af is a longshot- I hope they don't get picked up. Best for Wyoming and MWC both that they select schools like Cincinnati and Memphis
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

This has been bugging the sh-t out of me since I read the official list of 17 candidates. As I understand it, this was basically an open casting call. WTF would Wyoming have to lose by pitching this? Zero. In fact I'd argue, that, properly pitched, even if we were declined, we'd earn some media notice and maybe some often overlooked respect for one of the most unique college athletics programs in the country...

There is no longer any doubt on my part that we have a complete lack of vision at the top of our Athletics Office. President Nichols should have "Replace Athletic Director" in the top three of her "To Do" list.
I expect it's this: UW is in fiscal crisis. Athletics is taking its budget reduction and, on top of that, every dime going to anything, including Athletics, is subject to intense scrutiny and uproar. I think the President isn't even going to have an inauguration, because spending a few grand on that creates controversy.

In this climate it would politically awful, to say the least, to make an absolutely pointless pitch to the Big XII, with all the money-spending that would have to include, expressly or implicitly.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

SnowyRange wrote:

I expect it's this: UW is in fiscal crisis. Athletics is taking its budget reduction and, on top of that, every dime going to anything, including Athletics, is subject to intense scrutiny and uproar. I think the President isn't even going to have an inauguration, because spending a few grand on that creates controversy.

In this climate it would politically awful, to say the least, to make an absolutely pointless pitch to the Big XII, with all the money-spending that would have to include, expressly or implicitly.
A few grand? On what - writing a few letters or emails?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:

This is the part where Tommy Burman, Randy Welniack, et al, are supposed to pick up the f'kin' phone and call about a dozen donors who would probably have the wherewithal to collectively cover the costs of such an effort. This Atheltic Department is acting like a bunch of clock-punchers rather than the executives they're supposed to be.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

And now, there are 19 candidates with AFA and UNLV tossing their hats in the ring...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Considering Air Force, CSU and New Mexico have all thrown their hats in the ring, there is absolutely ZERO reason why we shouldn't do the same. We can't even use the excuse of loyalty to those programs as they sure as hell aren't.

And before someone points out Boise and SDSU, we don't owe them any loyalty. Not that we owe those other schools much, but we've all been in it for the long haul together.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

This is the part where Tommy Burman, Randy Welniack, et al, are supposed to pick up the f'kin' phone and call about a dozen donors who would probably have the wherewithal to collectively cover the costs of such an effort. This Atheltic Department is acting like a bunch of clock-punchers rather than the executives they're supposed to be.
Right. There are millions just sitting around. But no one will call. Must never have occurred to anyone.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:Considering Air Force, CSU and New Mexico have all thrown their hats in the ring, there is absolutely ZERO reason why we shouldn't do the same. We can't even use the excuse of loyalty to those programs as they sure as hell aren't.

And before someone points out Boise and SDSU, we don't owe them any loyalty. Not that we owe those other schools much, but we've all been in it for the long haul together.
Boise and SDSU are candidates. Half our membership has committed themselves as candidates.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
Right. There are millions just sitting around. But no one will call. Must never have occurred to anyone.
It doesn't cost millions. It wouldn't cost any more than $10k. And that's a stretch. They could raise that with 5-10 phone calls. Let's just say I would have known about any such effort.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Considering Air Force, CSU and New Mexico have all thrown their hats in the ring, there is absolutely ZERO reason why we shouldn't do the same. We can't even use the excuse of loyalty to those programs as they sure as hell aren't.

Boise and SDSU are candidates. Half our membership has committed themselves as candidates.
Yes, what I meant was that we have seemed to have a modicum of loyalty between the 4 programs (UW, AFA, CSU & UNM) in the past. So if loyalty was an argument against putting our name out there for the Big XII, that argument would go out the window now. Further, I was anticipating someone pointing out that SDSU and BSU were also being considered, but I don't feel any loyalty is deserved by those programs as it might be by the other 3.

I also agree with your other point, it wouldn't take millions to do the things necessary to be considered, hell you don't really need to hire anyone, that's TB and Kevin M.'s jobs already. It might take a few thousand dollars for external researchers and materials, but it wouldn't take a lot.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

t doesn't cost millions. It wouldn't cost any more than $10k. And that's a stretch. They could raise that with 5-10 phone calls. Let's just say I would have known about any such effort.
Let's just say I would have too.

But my point was not about the cost of a presentation, as they could swing that. My point was about how politically difficult it would be to be seen making such a pointless presentation, a presentation that would necessarily include promises to the Big XII of spending millions...in this fiscal mess UW is in.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
t doesn't cost millions. It wouldn't cost any more than $10k. And that's a stretch. They could raise that with 5-10 phone calls. Let's just say I would have known about any such effort.

But my point was not about the cost of a presentation, as they could swing that. My point was about how politically difficult it would be to be seen making such a pointless presentation, a presentation that would necessarily include promises to the Big XII of spending millions...in this fiscal mess UW is in.
I wouldn't be too concerned about that. In the extremely unlikely event that they would add UW, the cost of those promises would be less than the extra money we would bring in by being a member of a big 5 conference.

$25+ million...the amount each school in the Big XII got last year from the conference. in 2015, the most any MWC-school got was Boise state at $9.3 million. That same year, Wyoming only received $1.3 million.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:

And here is the "Wyoming Mindset". Risk-averse and afraid to fail.

This is the core issue with most Wyoming enterprise. This is an instance of risk vs. reward as the greatest consideration. The risk is absolutely minimal compared to the reward. Our odds are no longer than 75% of the candidate field.

Furthermore, properly presented, a decent case for Wyoming could be made insofar as history, facilities, solvency, campus culture, academics, and even, to an extent, geography. All four front range schools would make a sensible (perhaps not optimal across all metrics, but sensible insofar as geographical continuity, school profiles, and the greatest parts of three states' TV markets) addition to the Big 12. The biggest hurdle, in my opinion, for Wyoming to argue inclusion is TV market. Wyoming's TV market is small in the extreme, in the conventional scheme of things. But a case has to be built and made about Cowboy fans and the TV market being a diaspora greater than the obvious market measured by conventional metrics. Merchandise sales, past TV ratings, and any other favorable evidence of a fan base consistent with being the second largest one in the
MW needs to be brought forth, organized, collated, codified, quantified, and presented...

All that being said, I still say the most likely scenario is the Big 12 adds Houston and Cincinnati and calls it a day. I think they're going to get some more money and less resistance from their TV partners if they simply fulfill their name. Odds are, in my opinion, about 4-1 that's what happens. Going to 14, odds are about 10-1. BYU* or any MW school getting added start at about 12-1.