BIG XII Expansion

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
This is a university of Wyoming message board. Ideas here should be improvement of wyomings standing. Montana and Dakota schools would not do that. Plus those people all need big fish in small pond feelings. Wyoming people don't need that.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:Montana is historically relevant at the FCS level, large loyal fanbase, geographical makes sense, academic profile akin to most MW schools, and all UM would have to do is add like 5000 extra seats to their football stadium. But if UM's boosters and administration is not willing to take 1 step backwards to potentially take 2-3 steps forward, that's their prerogative. Don't gamble with scared money.
I've always thought that Wyoming has more in common with the Montana schools and the Dakota schools than they do with many of the schools in the Mountain West. This has nothing to do with the on-the-field product either, just how I view the institutions themselves from afar.

I know that Wyoming has a deep tradition with CSU and other current MWC opponents, and I understand the perception of "moving down" to team up with these schools could hurt fan support and other things but that's just my opinion. Just as a hypothetical, I think a conference with Wyoming, USU, AFA, UTEP, UNM, NMSU, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SoDakSU, USD could be a really competitive regional league.

I know there will be some eye rolls and some angry retorts after this post, so let me have it.
You should go research this a bit further. Wyoming and the Dakota's/ Montana's don't really have that much in common in academics, sports, or endowments. They serve different missions.

I just don't see much of what they would have in common besides sharing borders.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Sorry, I forgot my posts can only be by Coeur D'Alene's definition of pro-Wyoming. I'll add it to the list of posting requirements, as well as the previous anti-Bohl requirements of this board.

I'm sorry for having an opinion. It'll never happen again.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:s: Mountain West needs to be expanding as well. Houston BYU Wichita and Gonzaga.
Step 2- long besan, pepperdine,san francisco denver. Then figure out if you want another texas school weather it's all paso smu . I think you want tulane
So Montana (176.9m) doesn't have a big enough endowment, but Gonzaga (185.6m), Long Beach State (57.2m) and UTEP (151.2m) do?

And yet, if that's as important as you think to these schools, you expect Houston (716.4m) and BYU (1.47b) to ignore all that to team up with a much smaller Wyoming, which also means joining a conference with SJSU (120m), Fresno State (166m), etc?

Works both ways.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:Plus those people all need big fish in small pond feelings. Wyoming people don't need that.
This is a ridiculous statement.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

You want more research? Which of these sets more closely resembles a town with a population of 32,000?

San Jose, CA 998,000
Las Vegas, NV 603,000
Albuquerque, NM 556,000
Fresno, CA 509,000
Honolulu, HI 375,000
Reno, NV 233,000
Boise, ID 215,000

OR

Fargo, ND 113,000
Missoula, MT 69,000
Grand Forks, ND 55,000
Bozeman, MT 40,000
Brookings, SD 23,000
Vermillion, SD 11,000
The Virginian
Cowpoke

Going to FCS means losing scholarships and having Big Time programs like Nebraska and Texas come to Laramie. We have a die-hard base of fans that will support Wyoming no matter what (I include myself in that category) but just having FCS schools come to Laramie will make driving to the games much less desirable for the casual fan and thus cut attendance. Going to FCS is a revenue loser in my opinion.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Once again, I never said anything about going to FCS.
KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

If this is a Wyoming Cowboy board, then by proxy what makes the MWC a better conference, has everything to do with Wyoming and it's athletic department. There isn't a flaming snowballs chance in hell Wyoming gets into a P5 conference any time soon. Entertaining that thought is a lot crazier than entertaining the thought of Montana, NDSU, or UTEP being good additions to help bulk up conference prestige in the MWC.
spindoctor02
WyoNation Moderator

KC_Cowboy1990
Buckaroo

Funny how these advocacy groups aren't around when Baylor's football team is raping women left and right but the minute a religious institution is on the verge of joining the league, pandemonium! I don't think this means a whole lot. Money talks and bovine pooh walks. You can't advocate equality if you're cherry picking who gets said equality. This is just ESPN embellishing a non-story.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:

Funny how these advocacy groups aren't around when Baylor's football team is raping women left and right but the minute a religious institution is on the verge of joining the league, pandemonium! I don't think this means a whole lot. Money talks and bovine pooh walks. You can't advocate equality if you're cherry picking who gets said equality. This is just ESPN embellishing a non-story.
I'd say the same thing but the LGBT community has gotten a lot of PR lately so they're trying to swing their bigger stick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

KC_Cowboy1990 wrote:

Wait, why would LGBT organizations protest something not related to their agendas? That's a little like an anti-abortion movement staging an anti-war rally.

As far as Baylor goes, there's been quite a bit of protesting lately - and it's starting to look more and more like it isn't the football/athletic program that is at fault, but rather the entire institution (that is, it's WAY bigger than just the football team).

Also, Baylor's a religious institution. They lifted the ban on dancing in 1996 and they have an honor code somewhat similar to BYU.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Wait, why would LGBT organizations protest something not related to their agendas? That's a little like an anti-abortion movement staging an anti-war rally.
"LGBT coaches, players and fans who attend and/or compete at any Big 12 events hosted at BYU would be subject to discrimination since BYU remains exempt from Utah's LGBT nondiscrimination law. Moreover, any student-athlete who identifies as LGBT, and subsequently selects BYU due to its Big 12 membership, would be subjected to BYU's unabashed discrimination."
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:Wait, why would LGBT organizations protest something not related to their agendas? That's a little like an anti-abortion movement staging an anti-war rally.
"LGBT coaches, players and fans who attend and/or compete at any Big 12 events hosted at BYU would be subject to discrimination since BYU remains exempt from Utah's LGBT nondiscrimination law. Moreover, any student-athlete who identifies as LGBT, and subsequently selects BYU due to its Big 12 membership, would be subjected to BYU's unabashed discrimination."
No, I meant why would they protest Baylor... I understand why they're protesting BYU's inclusion in Big 12.
I was responding to this:
"Funny how these advocacy groups aren't around when Baylor's football team is raping women left and right but the minute a religious institution is on the verge of joining the league, pandemonium!"
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

It's a very interesting story.

More and more outfits/organizations are learning that their positions on LGBT matters have consequences.

Just ask the state of North Carolina.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

This is just petty. We live in such a hypersensitive world. The people advocating freedom of speech and such are the same ones who cry when someone else wants the same right. The vocal minority is a world of double standard.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

djm19 wrote:This is just petty. We live in such a hypersensitive world. The people advocating freedom of speech and such are the same ones who cry when someone else wants the same right. The vocal minority is a world of double standard.
Welcome to the 21st Century, djm19. Sadly, it'll get worse before things get better....if ever.

I'll get off the political soapbox now.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Wyokie wrote:
djm19 wrote:This is just petty. We live in such a hypersensitive world. The people advocating freedom of speech and such are the same ones who cry when someone else wants the same right. The vocal minority is a world of double standard.
Welcome to the 21st Century, djm19. Sadly, it'll get worse before things get better....if ever.

I'll get off the political soapbox now.
I agree. Just call it what it is, BYU is a high maintenance conf member. Done. The pros may not outweigh their cons. Done. They may issues with Sunday play making it problematic. Done. But this is a stretch. Unfortunately, it is the most petty issue in all of it.

Meh. Oh well. I am a dumb middle-aged white guy. What do I know.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Reality is sinking BYU*'s aspirations. I've been saying for years now, BYU* is a pariah to most serious academicians. Their ownership/ affiliation and what the Mormon Church espouses and advocates is the fatal flaw to their athletic aspirations...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory