CSU New stadium....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Wyovanian

I agree I-70 between being caked in deicer salt, moron drivers, mountain weather, and the fact some shipments aren't allowed through the tunnel (hello Loveland Pass) is a winter nightmare.

To bring this back to the first couple of posts, I think one thing not being discussed in this thread, is the growing sense that college costs are a bubble of sorts. Right now colleges are in a race for the best dorms, best campuses, best amenities. At what cost is this being done? Wyoming still remains somewhat reasonable $15,026 per year for instate $26,186 out of state that is with on campus room and board. CSU is $26,402 instate and $44,396 out of state. $44,000 to go to CSU? One thing we need to keep in mind, is at some point this crazy increase in college tuition is going to end, and then what? If you are relying on debt to build these facilities, cough new CSU stadium cough, that is asking for trouble in my opinion. So while UW should continue to improve our facilities and the state should continue to invest in UW, I think we should continue to do so in a financially smart manner. This is one thing UW has been doing well.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

o bring this back to the first couple of posts, I think one thing not being discussed in this thread, is the growing sense that college costs are a bubble of sorts. Right now colleges are in a race for the best dorms, best campuses, best amenities. At what cost is this being done? Wyoming still remains somewhat reasonable $15,026 per year for instate $26,186 out of state that is with on campus room and board. CSU is $26,402 instate and $44,396 out of state. $44,000 to go to CSU? One thing we need to keep in mind, is at some point this crazy increase in college tuition is going to end, and then what? If you are relying on debt to build these facilities, cough new CSU stadium cough, that is asking for trouble in my opinion. So while UW should continue to improve our facilities and the state should continue to invest in UW, I think we should continue to do so in a financially smart manner. This is one thing UW has been doing well.
Well said, and correct.

Colorado has basically turned CU and CSU into private universities. The WY state legislature is going to have to confront that with UW: does it want to relinquish control over UW (which it has to do if it cuts state funding to a minimal amount) and watch the cost of attending UW increase by 60-80%? Can UW even do that? Can this particular small state school survive when it rather suddenly starts charging those kind of market rates?

Those are the questions hovering over every smaller decision made over the next, say, five years. The answers to those questions affect everything, and have obvious relevance to athletics.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

SnowyRange wrote:
o bring this back to the first couple of posts, I think one thing not being discussed in this thread, is the growing sense that college costs are a bubble of sorts. Right now colleges are in a race for the best dorms, best campuses, best amenities. At what cost is this being done? Wyoming still remains somewhat reasonable $15,026 per year for instate $26,186 out of state that is with on campus room and board. CSU is $26,402 instate and $44,396 out of state. $44,000 to go to CSU? One thing we need to keep in mind, is at some point this crazy increase in college tuition is going to end, and then what? If you are relying on debt to build these facilities, cough new CSU stadium cough, that is asking for trouble in my opinion. So while UW should continue to improve our facilities and the state should continue to invest in UW, I think we should continue to do so in a financially smart manner. This is one thing UW has been doing well.
Well said, and correct.

Colorado has basically turned CU and CSU into private universities. The WY state legislature is going to have to confront that with UW: does it want to relinquish control over UW (which it has to do if it cuts state funding to a minimal amount) and watch the cost of attending UW increase by 60-80%? Can UW even do that? Can this particular small state school survive when it rather suddenly starts charging those kind of market rates?

Those are the questions hovering over every smaller decision made over the next, say, five years. The answers to those questions affect everything, and have obvious relevance to athletics.
Well per the Wyoming State Constitution tuition is supposed to be "nearly free as possible". You are right in regards to Colorado. During my Denver days, out of all my coworkers with college aged kids, none went to CSU or CU-Boulder. They were mixed between UNC-Greeley, CU-Denver, CU-Colorado Springs, the various community colleges along the front range, and a couple in some of the smaller west slope colleges.

It isn't just Colorado, unless you are from an alumni family or you got crazy good grades good luck affording going to UM or MSU in Michigan. Too many land grant universities have lost sight over what they are supposed to be, affordable places to get a quality education for the people of that state.

Given the political talks about this, the bursting may be coming sooner rather than later. I think if UW can get through this tuition bubble and keep tuition low, UW will be in a good, competitive spot. Between the skyrocketing tuition and football financial landscape changes it will be interesting to see how the next 5-10 years shake out.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
Expat_Poke wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Making I-80 a toll road for trucks is an interesting idea. What other options do they have?
Don't need tolls. With the International Fuel Tax Agreement, commercial trucks (and please any truckers correct any details I may be off on) pay taxes on a quarterly basis from the office based on fuel use actually driven in each state. This avoids tax avoidance at the pump. Each state sets their rates, and Wyoming was talking about increasing their rate to be roughly in line with Utah and Nebraska. Looking at 3rd quarter proposed rates we are still below Utah and Nebraska in our IFTA rates.

EDIT - I need to correct myself. Apparently a couple years after blinking Wyoming did raise their IFTA tax rates by about 70%. Still beneath Utah and Nebraska, but much more comparable. That may be why WYDOT hasn't been as vocal on their budget as before. Did it quietly, sorry for the derail.
Something interesting that's simmering is a proposed 65 mph max limit on tractor trailers. Not sure how they're thinking of enforcing it, but it could be an opportunity, if the actuaries work out, to defy the limit if it's passed and at the same time raise the tax. Could see a big jump in commercial traffic as well as revenue. Keep in mind, those trucks make stops too. And when they stop, they leave money...
I helped derail this thread. I might as well push it along a bit further.

In my trips to Montana recently, they have reduced the speedlimit on trucks to 65 in the day and 55 at night. I don't know how they enforce it. I do enjoy driving Montana's I90 much more than Wyoming's I90/I25 as a result.

They should try it out. Hell, they should restrict trucks to the right lane only when weather is bad. I80 can be flat out scary in the winter. I've had way too many close calls over the years - it was nearly always the trucks too.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Does anyone understand the coal to methanol conversion process? That has been something I've been interested in for a while. My understanding is you lose some of the nasty parts of coal by turning it into methanol. Then you can use it for an ethanol replacement. If any of that is true, it could be an interesting future for coal.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Just an FYI...demand for Wyoming coal has grown as of late. Double what it was in June...still not to the level it was a few years ago, but growing. And guess what, there is now a staffing issue.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Expat_Poke wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Well said, and correct.

Well per the Wyoming State Constitution tuition is supposed to be "nearly free as possible". You are right in regards to Colorado. During my Denver days, out of all my coworkers with college aged kids, none went to CSU or CU-Boulder. They were mixed between UNC-Greeley, CU-Denver, CU-Colorado Springs, the various community colleges along the front range, and a couple in some of the smaller west slope colleges.

It isn't just Colorado, unless you are from an alumni family or you got crazy good grades good luck affording going to UM or MSU in Michigan. Too many land grant universities have lost sight over what they are supposed to be, affordable places to get a quality education for the people of that state.

Given the political talks about this, the bursting may be coming sooner rather than later. I think if UW can get through this tuition bubble and keep tuition low, UW will be in a good, competitive spot. Between the skyrocketing tuition and football financial landscape changes it will be interesting to see how the next 5-10 years shake out.
If anything about promises of "free college" come about, watch those costs skyrocket...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote:Just an FYI...demand for Wyoming coal has grown as of late. Double what it was in June...still not to the level it was a few years ago, but growing. And guess what, there is now a staffing issue.
Yeah, main reason is that other mines have been shutting down while Wyoming coal still is as cheap as it is (cheaper than natural gas, unlike most other coal sources).

I think the main thing people have been pointing out is that things are still trending down long term.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

The big issue is the economic climate that makes banks less likely to invest in or loan money that supports coal. That's the problem.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Wyovanian wrote:
Expat_Poke wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Well said, and correct.

If anything about promises of "free college" come about, watch those costs skyrocket...
Spot on. Rising cost of college has been directly related to the increase in financial aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!