Predicted Upsets

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

hithere wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I guess I am naive and maybe have the brown and gold sweats cinched up too tight but I am expecting a win next weekend. We will be just as formidable on the O side of the ball as NIU and I tend to think our defense will be improved this season. By no means will we be a juggernaut this season but who has the stones to tell me that NIU will be one of the best teams we see this season? IF we do not win next week, this season may really really REALLY hurt.

Me, pretty much every college football fan in the nation, Phil Steele, you name it, would predict that Northern Illinois will be one of the best teams Wyoming faces this year.

Look, this time of year is always full of optimism and bold predictions and slate is clean talk, and that's awesome. Seriously, that's why we all show up to watch every year for the hope for a better season and to hear and read about the players "just trying to be the best they can be" and pretty soon, "something special" will be built here and the "Steve Stanard doesn't suck harder than a Thai ladyboy, I promise" (-Craig Bohl) talk of fall camp.

It's just that Wyoming is a 10 point dog at home to this team for a very good, well thought out, researched reason. Not only were both the offense and defense bad last year, but abysmal could be used to describe this team. No one ever remembers last year.

But f-word it, optimistically, rock bottom was achieved last year losing to both North Dakota and Eastern Michigan in such SPECTACULARLY horrific ways. It's only looking up from here. And Granderson ate a lot of ramen so that's why Boise State is going to be a W this year.

Haven't you already been REALLY hurt the last decade and a half, friend? Losing to NIU is going to push you off the edge? Come on.
Wow. We all have eyes, and I was there to witness last season. What I saw was (as you said) a very bad first part of the season, but I also saw improvement toward the end of the season - which is what you would expect with the number of freshmen that were playing. So you think we will pick up right where we started last season? Read again what I said about BSU - I did not predict a win.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Lol @ ladyboy standard. This team will be better than last year but it's still not a good team. I would be ecstatic for a bowl eligible team, but the only way that is happening is if Allen takes a superstar leap from a player who totaled 1/2 of football against the worst team to ever play at the war. I truly think this is a 3 win team (4 tops). It will take Bohl at least 4 years to get back to the firing season win totals of Joe Glenn & Dave Christensen, playing in a much poop conference. Year five he needs to get to a title game or 8 plus wins.
hithere
Ranch Hand

WYCowboy wrote: Wow. We all have eyes, and I was there to witness last season. What I saw was (as you said) a very bad first part of the season, but I also saw improvement toward the end of the season - which is what you would expect with the number of freshmen that were playing. So you think we will pick up right where we started last season? Read again what I said about BSU - I did not predict a win.
I didn't see much improvement outside the UNLV game the latter part of the season last year, team wise. I saw a team get blown out by Utah State while at the same time an individual player rushed for 200 yards in big chunks even when the Aggies knew exactly what was going to be called because it was Smith's first start.

And yes, hopefully they'll be better and not so injured. They won't pick up right where they left off (115th in the nation) but maybe in the, dare to dream, 99-109 range, perhaps? Which would be improvement.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

5-7 is still what i'm thinking, but will be elated with 6-6, sure hope so, Greetings from the Aleutians by the way, LOL(yes I found a computer with good internet, so to speak, lol)
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

hithere wrote:
WYCowboy wrote: Wow. We all have eyes, and I was there to witness last season. What I saw was (as you said) a very bad first part of the season, but I also saw improvement toward the end of the season - which is what you would expect with the number of freshmen that were playing. So you think we will pick up right where we started last season? Read again what I said about BSU - I did not predict a win.
I didn't see much improvement outside the UNLV game the latter part of the season last year, team wise. I saw a team get blown out by Utah State while at the same time an individual player rushed for 200 yards in big chunks even when the Aggies knew exactly what was going to be called because it was Smith's first start.

And yes, hopefully they'll be better and not so injured. They won't pick up right where they left off (115th in the nation) but maybe in the, dare to dream, 99-109 range, perhaps? Which would be improvement.
Just stop. Last year's team was the worst Wyoming team I've ever seen since 1976. But I'm not going to post one negative thing about this team, no matter what happens. However, a stray negative post may come forth if I'm drunk. It's a losing proposition writing nasty comments about your own team, even if they're accurate. Hope for the best and keep the margarita blender close by.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

bladerunnr wrote:
hithere wrote:

Just stop. Last year's team was the worst Wyoming team I've ever seen since 1976. But I'm not going to post one negative thing about this team, no matter what happens. However, a stray negative post may come forth if I'm drunk. It's a losing proposition writing nasty comments about your own team, even if they're accurate. Hope for the best and keep the margarita blender close by.
Worst team since 1976? Apparently you weren't around for the hell that was the Vic Keonning Era! I wouldn't wish that horror on my worst enemy!!!!

BTW, we did play in a bowl in 1976 - Fiesta Bowl as co-WAC Champions.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

Good thing it's a new season! NIU is a good program but whose to say they are better than last year? Teams step back and teams step forward. If we take a big step forward and NIU is the same or worse, we have a fighting chance. Why do you think preseason polls are always so wrong? Top 10 teams end up not in the top 25. Teams surprise! Let's be that surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Heaven forbid there be optimism around here... Good lord
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:
Wow. We all have eyes, and I was there to witness last season. What I saw was (as you said) a very bad first part of the season, but I also saw improvement toward the end of the season - which is what you would expect with the number of freshmen that were playing. So you think we will pick up right where we started last season? Read again what I said about BSU - I did not predict a win.
I just don't see the improvement last year as the year went along. We sucked at the beginning of the year and we sucked at the end of the year. Our margins of defeat were worse after the win against Nevada. We were just an absolutely awful team last year, all year, and until proven otherwise in 2016 I would say it would a huuuuge upset if Wyoming won on September 3rd.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

LOL WyoNation would catch fire if this projected score for Week 1 came true.

http://www.bcftoys.com/2016-game-projections/
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

J-Rod wrote:LOL WyoNation would catch fire if this projected score for Week 1 came true.

http://www.bcftoys.com/2016-game-projections/
I don't think that is far off personally. I put NIU as 17 point takers, shamefully. I hope I am dead wrong.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

That projection made me curious. Remember that whole thing I said about every program being super confident in August?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-786328.html

Good Christ. They talk about Wyo like we're Wyo Tech. Those are P5 vs. FCS score predictions.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

J-Rod wrote:That projection made me curious. Remember that whole thing I said about every program being super confident in August?

Good Christ. They talk about Wyo like we're Wyo Tech. Those are P5 vs. FCS score predictions.
It's great to see that most fan bases are similar. Most of them seem reasonable and few that are cautious with the outright homers.

Interesting to see this table. We only have a >50% chance of winning one game lol. They have us as 10% chance of beating a team we beat last year with the worst team we've ever had.Image

W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 304 times
Been liked: 119 times

J-Rod wrote:That projection made me curious. Remember that whole thing I said about every program being super confident in August?

Some of those fans kind of have a point...while they have been consistently decent the last 7 years, including 5 seasons in a row with 11 or more wins, we have been consistently poop-to-mediocre since 1996.

There was a time, as a Cowboy fan, that I would look at Northern Illinois on the schedule, and automatically say to myself, "who the f-word is Northern Illinois, we are going to wipe our asses with them". That has changed, very unfortunately.

NIU get's quite the roster built in from Chicago - close enough, but far enough away.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:

It's great to see that most fan bases are similar. Most of them seem reasonable and few that are cautious with the outright homers.

Interesting to see this table. We only have a >50% chance of winning one game lol. They have us as 10% chance of beating a team we beat last year with the worst team we've ever had.Image

That is awesome. :lol:

ps. Less than a 10% chance.