Predicted Upsets

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I know Air Force is predicted to have a good season and all, but it feels a bit disappointing that of all teams we could upset, it's Air Force rather than say, Nebraska. Hell, even Boise would be nice.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I know Air Force is predicted to have a good season and all, but it feels a bit disappointing that of all teams we could upset, it's Air Force rather than say, Nebraska. Hell, even Boise would be nice.
I concur. I don't think AFA is of upset caliber. But then again, we poop ourselves last year, and have a knack for pissing down our leg when playing decent competition.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Air Force has been pretty good lately, but rarely do they give Wyoming trouble. No matter the status of either team, it's always close.

That said, that would be an overall unexpected win. I'd take it. Can't get too greedy, we can't even assume we'll beat EMU.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

We need to take down one of Boise, SDSU or USU at home. A win against any of these three would be extremely satisfying.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:We need to take down one of Boise, SDSU or USU at home. A win against any of these three would be extremely satisfying.
USU, because we should be a better program and beat them 4 out of 5 times. It has been embarrassing losing to them. Boise's day is coming...and it could be this year. SDSU just has cocky fans...but beating them wouldn't be an upset most years. Same for USU.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:We need to take down one of Boise, SDSU or USU at home. A win against any of these three would be extremely satisfying.
USU, because we should be a better program and beat them 4 out of 5 times. It has been embarrassing losing to them. Boise's day is coming...and it could be this year. SDSU just has cocky fans...but beating them wouldn't be an upset most years. Same for USU.
I hope I'm still alive when Wyoming FINALLY beats Smurf State! I have a good friend who attended that place whom I want to drive completely insane once we finally beat the Broncs.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
I hope I'm still alive when Wyoming FINALLY beats Smurf State! I have a good friend who attended that place whom I want to drive completely insane once we finally beat the Broncs.
This might be the year to do it. The Broncs have a good offense, but so do we. They lost a lot of their top players on defense, but they had more depth than we do. It all depends on how much our defense has grown, matured, and improved.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYCowboy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
This might be the year to do it. The Broncs have a good offense, but so do we. They lost a lot of their top players on defense, but they had more depth than we do. It all depends on how much our defense has grown, matured, and improved.
I don't trust our defense!!! If we beat them, it'll be a miracle.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming finished 100th in total offense last year and 115th nationally in PPG...better than only Norm's Chow Hawaii offense in the MW, and only slightly. We assume this offense will be awesome and that players like Josh Allen will be awesome, but it's not a given or a proven belief. We worry about the defense, but statically the defense was better than the offense last season...even with Brian Hill's elite talent. They've got some proving to do too.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

I think the offense will be great but you're right, we need to see it in action first before we can say anything. I think they'll be much improved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Even if the defense stays relatively even (which they won't, they'll be much better) we'll be a better team if the offense can get to middle of the pack MWC. If our offense makes the kind of improvement we think they can then the D will spend wayyy less time on the field and be able to put together complete games and not get so worn down.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Wyoming finished 100th in total offense last year and 115th nationally in PPG...better than only Norm's Chow Hawaii offense in the MW, and only slightly. We assume this offense will be awesome and that players like Josh Allen will be awesome, but it's not a given or a proven belief. We worry about the defense, but statically the defense was better than the offense last season...even with Brian Hill's elite talent. They've got some proving to do too.
Nothing is a given...except we'll have more than one receiver this year. Coffman wasn't a bad QB, but who did he have to throw it to? As soon as Gentry got hurt vs Nevada, we were a one dimensional team. The D was improving, but until James Price emerged, Cam's only target was Maulhardt at WR....and Hollister at TE.

This year we have targets. We have big targets, we have fast targets, and we have experienced targets. And, we have a QB who should be able to make all the throws. Plus, the Oline should be improved to help open holes and create some time for Josh.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: Nothing is a given...except we'll have more than one receiver this year. Coffman wasn't a bad QB, but who did he have to throw it to? As soon as Gentry got hurt vs Nevada, we were a one dimensional team. The D was improving, but until James Price emerged, Cam's only target was Maulhardt at WR....and Hollister at TE.

This year we have targets. We have big targets, we have fast targets, and we have experienced targets. And, we have a QB who should be able to make all the throws. Plus, the Oline should be improved to help open holes and create some time for Josh.
No argument here. I'm just saying...even the offensive optimism is speculative to this point.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I guess I am naive and maybe have the brown and gold sweats cinched up too tight but I am expecting a win next weekend. We will be just as formidable on the O side of the ball as NIU and I tend to think our defense will be improved this season. By no means will we be a juggernaut this season but who has the stones to tell me that NIU will be one of the best teams we see this season? IF we do not win next week, this season may really really REALLY hurt.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I guess I am naive and maybe have the brown and gold sweats cinched up too tight but I am expecting a win next weekend. We will be just as formidable on the O side of the ball as NIU and I tend to think our defense will be improved this season. By no means will we be a juggernaut this season but who has the stones to tell me that NIU will be one of the best teams we see this season? IF we do not win next week, this season may really really REALLY hurt.
No way. We're playing with house money. If we lose it's not the end of the world it just means that we probably won't be bowling. Next year and every year thereafter I expect us to be contending for MWC 'ships
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I guess I am naive and maybe have the brown and gold sweats cinched up too tight but I am expecting a win next weekend. We will be just as formidable on the O side of the ball as NIU and I tend to think our defense will be improved this season. By no means will we be a juggernaut this season but who has the stones to tell me that NIU will be one of the best teams we see this season? IF we do not win next week, this season may really really REALLY hurt.
No way. We're playing with house money. If we lose it's not the end of the world it just means that we probably won't be bowling. Next year and every year thereafter I expect us to be contending for MWC 'ships
I agree. I am predicting 6 to 7 wins with brown and gold goggles that haven't seen the team play yet. But, realize we are still young and rebuilding. We should be better, but will continue to improve as these guys get older and we develop solid depth.
hithere
Ranch Hand

Me, pretty much every college football fan in the nation, Phil Steele, you name it, would predict that Northern Illinois will be one of the best teams Wyoming faces this year.

Look, this time of year is always full of optimism and bold predictions and slate is clean talk, and that's awesome. Seriously, that's why we all show up to watch every year for the hope for a better season and to hear and read about the players "just trying to be the best they can be" and pretty soon, "something special" will be built here and the "Steve Stanard doesn't suck harder than a Thai ladyboy, I promise" (-Craig Bohl) talk of fall camp.

It's just that Wyoming is a 10 point dog at home to this team for a very good, well thought out, researched reason. Not only were both the offense and defense bad last year, but abysmal could be used to describe this team. No one ever remembers last year.

But f-word it, optimistically, rock bottom was achieved last year losing to both North Dakota and Eastern Michigan in such SPECTACULARLY horrific ways. It's only looking up from here. And Granderson ate a lot of ramen so that's why Boise State is going to be a W this year.

Haven't you already been REALLY hurt the last decade and a half, friend? Losing to NIU is going to push you off the edge? Come on.
hithere
Ranch Hand

JimmyDimes wrote: I agree. I am predicting 6 to 7 wins with brown and gold goggles that haven't seen the team play yet. But, realize we are still young and rebuilding. We should be better, but will continue to improve as these guys get older and we develop solid depth.
Jesus Christ.

It's like your echo chamber is full of nitrous oxide when you're blissfully predicting winning seasons for the Cowboys every year for the last... all of them. I just picture I Am Sam beaming from ear to ear with tongue out to the side, concentrating super hard, typing away on a Tandy whenever I read your delusional posts.

This isn't a slam. I honestly wish I could do the same and be like you. It must be bliss.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Still confused by why people think Northern Illinois is a bad team, IMO they are the 3rd or 4th best team we'll see this year. I would put Boise, SDSU, and maybe Air Force ahead of them, I think NIU is a better team than Nebraska.