Roullier and the fullback dive

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Im thinking we might see an evolution to our running game by moving roullier to center. It opens up a much more varied counter running attack. We can pull from different looks. However, for a counter to work, we need to have an effective fullback dive to move the middle linebacker. I have a feeling that we will see a resurgence of classic fullback play.

The more I think about roullier to center, the more i like it. He's smart and will call blocking schemes, but his mobility will really shine being able to go either direction. And on another note, he was rated extremely high as a guard, but as a center he might be an all American.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I agree. Roullier at center allows our best 5 players to be on the field at the same time as well. Hopefully, we can stay injury free this year so we can see how good the offense can be.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Reading the thread title for the first time, I thought you were calling for a Fridge Perry goal line package.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:Reading the thread title for the first time, I thought you were calling for a Fridge Perry goal line package.
Me too haha.. honestly I'm a little disappointed.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

As much as they pull him and have him lead block, he pretty much already is a Fridge Perry.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Man, we are really grasping for anything positive with this program, when we start talking about the exciting and fan-thrilling fullback dive play.

Next thing to talk about: Our punter is awesome! (Which he is).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

You don't have to be Cam Newton to be exciting.

I like the old school, hard nosed, tough positions that don't get the credit they deserve.

Our fullback is pre-season All-American. Maybe it isn't a bad thing to get excited about good fullback play.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:You don't have to be Cam Newton to be exciting.

I like the old school, hard nosed, tough positions that don't get the credit they deserve.

Our fullback is pre-season All-American. Maybe it isn't a bad thing to get excited about good fullback play.
It sure helps the "exciting factor" though (to be Cam Newton).

I like the old school, hard nosed, style of play as well - but ON DEFENSE. 3 yards a f-word cloud of dust doesn't pump my nads. Etc.
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think the offense has a good chance to be pretty exciting, although you're right, 3 yards and a cloud of dust isn't very exciting to most people.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:I think the offense has a good chance to be pretty exciting, although you're right, 3 yards and a cloud of dust isn't very exciting to most people.
Agreed!
Dear Karma,

Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I think the offense has a good chance to be pretty exciting, although you're right, 3 yards and a cloud of dust isn't very exciting to most people.
Agreed!
Now, if we could just figure out how to recruit/maintain the depth necessary to never have to play another 225 pound defensive lineman or 210 pound linebacker, we might have a chance to bring back the glory years of the late 80's.

Maybe we should hire Lance Armstrong as a consultant/trainer for our front seven. :D

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Most kids these days don't even know what a fullback is.
I'm good for 3!
Poke-opolis
Buckaroo

Junky....I see your point but Derek Brooks was 210lbs playing WSLB in the Tampa 2. Now he was a freak of nature but never the heaviest of guys. At one point they were listing him at 225lbs and the joke in Tampa was that it was in full pads with his cleats and helmet and just after lunch. I guess my point is for this scheme in particular our LBs need to be able to run and get into their zone drops to compress the passing windows and gang tackle the outside leveraged runs.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Poke-opolis wrote:Junky....I see your point but Derek Brooks was 210lbs playing WSLB in the Tampa 2. Now he was a freak of nature but never the heaviest of guys. At one point they were listing him at 225lbs and the joke in Tampa was that it was in full pads with his cleats and helmet and just after lunch. I guess my point is for this scheme in particular our LBs need to be able to run and get into their zone drops to compress the passing windows and gang tackle the outside leveraged runs.
Agreed. He also had Warren Sapp in front of him, stoughing up the middle. I know the linebackers don't have to be as big as they traditionally do. They need to be good in coverage. The interior of the defensive line needs to be immovable and capable of penetration. If they aren't, and the blockers get on the linebackers, the scheme doesn't work. If, like in our case, both the dline and linebackers are small, you end up with the defense we've had the last two years. You end up with the free safety leading the team in tackles.

Our problem has been the lack of size on the dline combined with the lack of size at linebacker. It's the reason why a true freshman led the team in tackles. The dline couldn't get off their blockers or penetrate, the linebackers got blown back, and Wingard had to save the day.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Yep, the t2 is hard to run with low weight dlineman. Bad scheme for Wyoming.
Poke-opolis
Buckaroo

The key for our interior DL is to be disruptive....we don't have a Sapp or anything close on our line, they must control their gaps and penetrate as you said. 300+ pounders inside would be nice but it seems Alabama just gets all of those guys these days. I just want some inside guys that can control one gap. Sapp controlled two or three if you double teamed him. There is a joke in there about Sapps gap control and why he was arrested at the Super Bowl with multiple hookers, but I'm too classy to make a joke like that.....