Depth Chart

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I would have thought that Malauulu and Ghiffan would have been starting. They seem like the higher upside players. I thought Malauulu did much better than Applebee last year.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wasn't there another transfer who came in this year who physically looks the part on the defensive line? Van Emmerick or something like that?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Imagine seeing our D line on an opposing teams depth chart and how much we would be licking our chops with Brian Hill and our O line or any other halfway competent FBS rushing attack. It makes me shudder.

There's a big difference between John Fletcher's 280 pounds and Applebes 280 pounds. A lot of it also has to do with arm length and leverage. That's why Uso never seemed to be able to do anything for all his strength because of his short arms.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

marcuswyo wrote:To be fair John Fletcher played at 270 his senior year. A lot of these guys aren't far off. What we are missing is a Fred Givens or a Mike Purcell, or even a Kurt Tasafua, all three were good big defensive tackles. Kind of weird that DC had a horrible defense but was still able to get two DT tackles into the NFl ( along with a safety and a linebacker drafted). I hope Sydney M. or Ghaifan come in and steal a starting spot on the line. They seem to have the right size.
It's never fair to compare ANYONE to John Fletcher

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

whyoh wrote:
marcuswyo wrote:To be fair John Fletcher played at 270 his senior year. A lot of these guys aren't far off. What we are missing is a Fred Givens or a Mike Purcell, or even a Kurt Tasafua, all three were good big defensive tackles. Kind of weird that DC had a horrible defense but was still able to get two DT tackles into the NFl ( along with a safety and a linebacker drafted). I hope Sydney M. or Ghaifan come in and steal a starting spot on the line. They seem to have the right size.
It's never fair to compare ANYONE to John Fletcher

Correct.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=317&p=2600#p2485
ImageImageImageImage
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HiCountryCowboy wrote:Not trying to call anyone out, but there is always going to be youth - it's college.
Well obviously there aren't going to be many 30-year olds running around, but there's usually a considerable difference between a player as a freshman and as a senior. Which would you rather have?

The majority of the two-deep roster is still freshmen and sophomores. That's not making excuses; that's the facts of the situation. If you want to ignore the facts, that's on you.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
HiCountryCowboy wrote:Not trying to call anyone out, but there is always going to be youth - it's college.
Well obviously there aren't going to be many 30-year olds running around, but there's usually a considerable difference between a player as a freshman and as a senior. Which would you rather have?

The majority of the two-deep roster is still freshmen and sophomores. That's not making excuses; that's the facts of the situation. If you want to ignore the facts, that's on you.
And why is our roster made up of so many undersized underclassmen? Because of the deliberate choices of our head coach. This is his roster, no one else's. That is also a fact. I'm tired of excuses too. This is your roster, it's year 3, time to see some results.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Sports message boards...a place where grown men can bitch like little girls. From my perspective, this depth chart is much better than what it looked like to begin last season (MUCH BETTER) and I expect it to look more complete next season. IMO....this is what progression looks like.

Yes, it is year three. But, what has been explained...even though many would rather do the coaching, is that Bohl isn't taking short cuts as he transitioned from a spread to a power offense. He didn't go heavy on JC's. And is building with young players recruited to play his style of offense.

Even though last year was painful, I will enjoy watching this team improve and become a dominant force in the MWC.

Go Pokes!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I agree. Year three without short-cuts and with Bohl coaching in the national championship game before he took the job definitely stunted our growth.

My comment above about the dline isn't a commentary on Bohl. I understand why we still don't have size and quality depth on the dline.

It was a commentary on DC. How do you go from stocked and loaded on the dline to a gigantic mess that will take the new coach 4/5 years to fix?

I think the dline will be a strength in a few years. It just isn't this year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

cali2wyo wrote:Wasn't there another transfer who came in this year who physically looks the part on the defensive line? Van Emmerick or something like that?
Yes - Hunter Van Emmerick, 6'4" and 281, JC transfer. Not sure what the deal is, maybe he needs some additional time adjusting, learning, etc. (he was a DE) at his last JC. Met him briefly this summer, he is a pretty big dude.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:And why is our roster made up of so many undersized underclassmen?
Because players like Uso Olive quit on their team.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:And why is our roster made up of so many undersized underclassmen?
It sure would be nice to see a RS sophomore Kongbo on the team rn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
That happens everywhere. Bohl recruited some JC guys with size to fill but apparently the 230lb converted freshman walk on is starting because apparently the JC isn't ready. NIUs running back is the same size as our DE. I hope we don't get trucked.

This isn't armchair coaching. I'm sure we could do some things differently schematically or play calling or whatever but the fundamental issue with our team last year was being physically outmatched. I hope to see a team not so outmatched this year but 230lb DE backed up by a 215lb DE has me very worried. Good thing we get to find out very soon.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

The JC guy that McPeachy gave details on was a DE for 2 years at a JC before coming here and is now listed as a tackle. If he can't crack the 2-deep at either of the 2 interior positions, why can't we move him back to the outside and have him try to find time on the edge instead of relying on a bunch of small guys?

I just hope to God we blitz this year. I don't see us getting in the backfield very often with anything less than a 6 man rush. Let's just rush everything we have at the QB and let Wingard clean everything up behind :)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

cali2wyo wrote:The JC guy that McPeachy gave details on was a DE for 2 years at a JC before coming here and is now listed as a tackle. If he can't crack the 2-deep at either of the 2 interior positions, why can't we move him back to the outside and have him try to find time on the edge instead of relying on a bunch of small guys?

I just hope to God we blitz this year. I don't see us getting in the backfield very often with anything less than a 6 man rush. Let's just rush everything we have at the QB and let Wingard clean everything up behind :)
Hopefully our d backfield can hold down the fort so we can bring 5+ guys consistently. And hopefully our 5+ guys can help out the d backs by make ing the QB throw it in 3 seconds or less.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

This is what Northern Illinois has....a little bigger on the Dline. But, we can go bigger if needed.

pg 3

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/n ... _FInal.pdf
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:What the hell has happened to the d line since Fletcher, Unrein, and Givens graduated? Our nose guard is 268 pounds and "six feet". If Chase is 6'0" tall, I'm 9'4".

http://wyomingcowboysblog.com/
9'4" didn't know they stacked stuff that high, LOL, jk....
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:What the hell has happened to the d line since Fletcher, Unrein, and Givens graduated? Our nose guard is 268 pounds and "six feet". If Chase is 6'0" tall, I'm 9'4".

http://wyomingcowboysblog.com/
9'4" didn't know they stacked stuff that high, LOL, jk....
You know people in our family stack our b.s. high....way high.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
NIU007
Buckaroo

http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-788845.html

This shows the latest depth chart for NIU. Not sure if this will work as a link but at least it's the webpage.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

NIU007 wrote:http://www.csnbbs.com/thread-788845.html

This shows the latest depth chart for NIU. Not sure if this will work as a link but at least it's the webpage.
Dude....this is hilarious

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Know the Faux: Wyoming

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'