It's hard not to be bullish on the future of Cowboy football.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I was going to discuss how much I like the start of conference coming up. With EMU, CSU, AFA(I love how we match up with Air Force when we have a great safety), a BYE week, and then Nevada.....6-1 is not impossible. One game at a time though. We must beat EMU.

The jury is still out on this season. We'll know more after tomorrow night. Can we win on the road against inferior competition?

What I will discuss instead is the 2 deep of Wyoming football. Right now Wyoming has the following amount of players in the 2 deep(either starters or back-ups).

10 seniors(5 of them start), 9 juniors(5 of them start), 16 sophomores(8 sophomore starters), 9 freshmen(3 freshmen starters). We have more under-classmen starting than we do upper-classmen and 25 of them in the 2 deep compared to 19 upper-classmen in the 2 deep. That doesn't even include the kicker, who's a freshman. This team is very young.

I know the first two years of the Bohl regime have left many people doubting his ability to turn it around. Remember, he's done this after DC brought our program to a whole new level of small, weak, and slow. He's done this with three recruiting classes(one of them put together in 2 weeks). We'll see what he can do when using the HAPC as a recruiting tool?

It's still too early to tell, but it sure looks like Wyoming football is returning to a time when 8-4 happens more than once every 16 years.

Beat EMU. Go Pokes!!
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Utah State fan here.

I'm a believer. I think Bohl is doing for y'all what Gary Andersen did for Utah State. And I couldn't be happier. I want a return of the days when the best college football game of the season was Utah State - Wyoming. Fifty years has been too long to wait.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

LKGates wrote:Utah State fan here.

I'm a believer. I think Bohl is doing for y'all what Gary Andersen did for Utah State. And I couldn't be happier. I want a return of the days when the best college football game of the season was Utah State - Wyoming. Fifty years has been too long to wait.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
Thanks.

This will be the first time since you guys joined the MWC that I think we won't get seal clubbed by USU, and we get you at home.

We need to find out what the rifle thing looks like if we're trying to rebirth the rivalry. Leaving it in Logan definitely won't help.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. It feels like I've been burned so many times even though I've only been a fan for 13 years. This just might be where things get consistently better, though...

I'll be happy if we have a close game with Utah State, even if we lose... as long as we curbstomp CSU.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

A lot of this comes down to tomorrow. 3-1 is a start few Wyoming teams can claim this millennium. Wyoming would have to be terrible the rest of the way to not go bowling.

That said, a loss to EMU and the fan base will turn into a doomsday forum all over again. I personally expect Wyo to win by a comfortable margin, but first things first: beat this gawd awful football program on their gray field.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:A lot of this comes down to tomorrow. 3-1 is a start few Wyoming teams can claim this millennium. Wyoming would have to be terrible the rest of the way to not go bowling.

That said, a loss to EMU and the fan base will turn into a doomsday forum all over again. I personally expect Wyo to win by a comfortable margin, but first things first: beat this gawd awful football program on their gray field.
Agreed. I've been reminding myself of all the Cowboy football hot starts since 2000 and the crash endings that followed them.

It sure is nicer on the forums when the Pokes have a winning record. Hopefully we'll still have one about 9:00 o'clock tomorrow night.

It's very hard to be cautious with the optimism this year. This year we have some signs of a real football program. Offensively, we've scored a lot of points. We've done it relatively trick free. They know we're going to run, we know we're going to run, and we do it anyway. Nebraska stopped our running game. No one else has. Defensively, no one has ran the ball on us yet. That's what has me thinking these are real deal improvements. We've known since Fletch and Unrein graduated that our front seven was too small, too soft, and too weak on the interior. We've been trying to fix that since year two of the DC poop show. No one has fixed it yet. This year, it seems like we're going to be able to make anyone we want one dimensional. We made Nebraska one dimensional and they look like the Nebraska of old, not the Nebraska since Tom Osborne left.

Again, our lack of depth can take that all away. We can't afford any key injuries this year(knock on wood).

Still, for 19 upperclassmen in the two deep, this team has played some very inspiring football, even showing signs that they're Cowboy tough by finding a way to win the longest game in UW history(we found a way to lose those games in the past) and by pounding a team we're supposed to pound. They seem mature and mentally strong. That really surprises me with our youth. Maybe there's a reason why no one quit the team in camp this year. Bohl's process might have seperated the weak from the herd.

We'll see. It's still to early to tell. I sure like what I'm seeing though, and I really feel good about our future. It won't be the first time I've felt good about our future. I try to come up with reasons to do that every year. This year seems different though.

I guess we'll find out. If the Pokes can beat a team on the road they're supposed to beat, it will be another answer from a team that's already had several this year.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I am optimistic, but the jury is still out for me as well.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

it's out for me too, to watch it when I went to school during the awesome Roach Tiller years, getting ranked yearly talked about etc, and then seeing Koenning's sad seasons, Coach Glenn's roller coaster and DC's arrogance and now this, I'm willing to give it a chance, but it'll never be the way it was, but I guess that's the day and age we live in now. We'll never play for National Titles, but MWC Titles and a GOOD bowl game that's enough for me, oh yeah and an occasional ranking on the AP, and (to dream) win a big one against a big boy, hmmmmm 2017 at Iowa City, I'll be there!!!! GO POKES, get er done tonight!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I'm cautiously optimistic about this team. It feels like I've been burned so many times even though I've only been a fan for 13 years. This just might be where things get consistently better, though...

I'll be happy if we have a close game with Utah State, even if we lose... as long as we curbstomp CSU.
Yeah this is my feeling too!!!! but I've got a few more years on ya...fan since (truly) 1982 started following, 1987 in person, but a lifer being a Wyomingite!!! being burned is tough thing
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

stymeman wrote:it's out for me too, to watch it when I went to school during the awesome Roach Tiller years, getting ranked yearly talked about etc, and then seeing Koenning's sad seasons, Coach Glenn's roller coaster and DC's arrogance and now this, I'm willing to give it a chance, but it'll never be the way it was, but I guess that's the day and age we live in now. We'll never play for National Titles, but MWC Titles and a GOOD bowl game that's enough for me, oh yeah and an occasional ranking on the AP, and (to dream) win a big one against a big boy, hmmmmm 2017 at Iowa City, I'll be there!!!! GO POKES, get er done tonight!!!!
I don't know how much different it is. They wouldn't let us play for a national title back then either. We don't get to play BYU and Utah anymore, but we got a different, humble flavor of the army from Utardia with Utard State.

I think the glory days are right around the corner. When I say glory days, I'm referring to the time when both of us we're in high school: when Wyoming won football titles and basketball titles in the same season.

We're not as far away as people think.

Today is big step. Now we need to go on the road and beat a team we SHOULD beat. It's an opportunity for the program to take another step closer to winning the damn league for the first time in 20 years.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

exactly tonight is the true test cuz we rarely look good on the road and to me that's on Coaching!!!! so tonight we'll see what happens, b4 I truly get extremely excited for it this year!!!! then bring on the Sheep...Hill needs at least 150!!!! Junky, D1 isn't as prestigious as it used to be back in the day, with the Power 5
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

:thumb:
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

That was tough. Every time you think we're making progress we look like we haven't improved that much at all.

I still have faith in Bohl, but this is going to take a lot more hard work than I expected.

Don't give up Wyoming.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Can we get to 4-8? I see 4 "maybe" games on the schedule
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

Cowboy Junky wrote:I was going to discuss how much I like the start of conference coming up. With EMU, CSU, AFA(I love how we match up with Air Force when we have a great safety), a BYE week, and then Nevada.....6-1 is not impossible. One game at a time though. We must beat EMU.

The jury is still out on this season. We'll know more after tomorrow night. Can we win on the road against inferior competition?

What I will discuss instead is the 2 deep of Wyoming football. Right now Wyoming has the following amount of players in the 2 deep(either starters or back-ups).

10 seniors(5 of them start), 9 juniors(5 of them start), 16 sophomores(8 sophomore starters), 9 freshmen(3 freshmen starters). We have more under-classmen starting than we do upper-classmen and 25 of them in the 2 deep compared to 19 upper-classmen in the 2 deep. That doesn't even include the kicker, who's a freshman. This team is very young.

I know the first two years of the Bohl regime have left many people doubting his ability to turn it around. Remember, he's done this after DC brought our program to a whole new level of small, weak, and slow. He's done this with three recruiting classes(one of them put together in 2 weeks). We'll see what he can do when using the HAPC as a recruiting tool?

It's still too early to tell, but it sure looks like Wyoming football is returning to a time when 8-4 happens more than once every 16 years.

Beat EMU. Go Pokes!!

It ain't hard tonight.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

cowboyz backer wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:I was going to discuss how much I like the start of conference coming up. With EMU, CSU, AFA(I love how we match up with Air Force when we have a great safety), a BYE week, and then Nevada.....6-1 is not impossible. One game at a time though. We must beat EMU.

Beat EMU. Go Pokes!!

It ain't hard tonight.

Heard that about you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:That was tough. Every time you think we're making progress we look like we haven't improved that much at all.

I still have faith in Bohl, but this is going to take a lot more hard work than I expected.

Don't give up Wyoming.
I'm not against the Pro/West Coast Offense, but I am against being completely and utterly predictable on offense. We went through hell with that when DC was here. Now, we're doing that with Vigen.

We need someone that will do more than "run up the gut" 90% of the time, particularly when Hill and Wick are getting blasted BEFORE they even get to the line of scrimmage.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Creativity man... we didn't move the pocket, we didn't find ways to get the ball to our playmakers, Conway wasn't a part of the game plan, not just play calling but the absolute lack of adjustments.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cowboyz backer wrote:

Beat EMU. Go Pokes!!

It ain't hard tonight.
It's amazing how much difference a week makes.

We're not world beaters yet.

There's definitely signs of progress.

1. Got the boot back
2. Snapped the road losing streak.
3. Already won one more game than last year at week 5.
4. EMU is 4-1

I'm still bullish on the future of Poke football.

Here's an article by everyone's favorite Poke fan that does a good job of putting it into perspective.

http://pokesradio.com/

National Champions 1943.

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Another article that agrees the CSU win was an important step towards the future.

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 972fb.html

National Champions 1943.

I do.