Progress?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

There are losses and there bad losses and then there are Eastern Michigan losses. We have 2 of that last kind in the last 2 seasons.
snowsailor
Buckaroo

FCS coordinators + FCS playmaking = UW will drop to FCS
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

djm19 wrote:Bohl not happy with the distraction of the emu clowns.

In other news, I would've been completely okay with them protesting hill running up the center's butt all night.
Didn't see the press conference and won't watch it now, but Bohl needs to be disgusted by his output, not what amounted to some people yelling at a football game (oh the humanity). Didn't seem to distract Emu when they needed it most. What an f'in poop show!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 2 times

Cowboy tough, yo!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I agree we didnt have great play calling. I thought we'd at least run to the outside a little more. But passing was quite good. Our wrs were hitting the seems well and the ball was getting to them quickly and accurately. Our real killers last night:
1. Gentry fumble. EMU scores...
2. Gentry fumble. EMU scores...
3. Allen TD called back...

We were moving the ball well on all three drives and the D didn't have an answer. And all three we came away with zero points.
Wick has lost all confidence in his running. He does not hit the hole like he used to. And when there wasn't holes for him (Oregon, Mich St. A few years ago) he would force his way into an opening and have long runs. He no longer does this. And is in my opinion not going to amount to anything this year. Might as well put Evans in. He runs harder. We need a solid secondary runner, and we don't have one in Wick.
I absolutely agree that we need to get Conway in the game for some wr action so he is not identified for only the jet sweep. Right now as soon as you see 25 in their on O, everyone who's watched film knows what will happen. For crying out loud, run a fake jet sweep with a play action to the opposite side of the field. Their D singles in on Conway, and would probably leave a TE wide open way down field!

I won't blame Rothe for the miss, it did get blocked... And should've been a TD anyway.
Our cbs and D were playing great until EMU came out and burned us on two big runs and made it 17-10. After that it was like our D didn't have a clue how to adjust, lost all confidence and they began passing and running for big yardage on us the rest of the game.

We had individual players who did well. When that happens you typically won't win. Other than our Qb to our Wrs we were not in sync anywhere on the field together as a team.

If I want to blame coaching, I'd go with Vigen with lack of runs to the outside. And I'd go with Stanard for not adjusting properly after being burned. But blaming coaches can only go so far. There were a core group of players on both sides of the ball who did not play well. Can't blame Vigen when your star Wideout is dropping the ball on the ground and halting another drive. can't blame Allens effort to get to the end zone when our OL has played subpar all game and are out of position and hold! Can't blame Hill for gaining medial 82 yards when his OL won't open up a freaking hole. There was a general lack of effort on the field that screed us more than coaching last night.

Just my take.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

This game was like a 3-ring circus. There were distractions before, during, and after the game. It seems like every team we play now know all they have to do is shut down our running game and they can beat us. I don't know how many they were stacking the box with last night, but every time Hill got the ball he drew a big crowd. Our O-line didn't have a chance.
On the other side of the ball, every time they ran the ball, you could drive a semi through the hole. We made enough mistakes to easily win the game. I'm not going to name names or point fingers yet - I want to look at the game film a couple more times, but some things are glaring and have been going on all season and are not being corrected.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:I agree we didnt have great play calling. I thought we'd at least run to the outside a little more. But passing was quite good. Our wrs were hitting the seems well and the ball was getting to them quickly and accurately. Our real killers last night:

We were moving the ball well on all three drives and the D didn't have an answer. And all three we came away with zero points.
Wick has lost all confidence in his running. He does not hit the hole like he used to. And when there wasn't holes for him (Oregon, Mich St. A few years ago) he would force his way into an opening and have long runs. He no longer does this. And is in my opinion not going to amount to anything this year. Might as well put Evans in. He runs harder. We need a solid secondary runner, and we don't have one in Wick.
I absolutely agree that we need to get Conway in the game for some wr action so he is not identified for only the jet sweep. Right now as soon as you see 25 in their on O, everyone who's watched film knows what will happen. For crying out loud, run a fake jet sweep with a play action to the opposite side of the field. Their D singles in on Conway, and would probably leave a TE wide open way down field!

I won't blame Rothe for the miss, it did get blocked... And should've been a TD anyway.
Our cbs and D were playing great until EMU came out and burned us on two big runs and made it 17-10. After that it was like our D didn't have a clue how to adjust, lost all confidence and they began passing and running for big yardage on us the rest of the game.

We had individual players who did well. When that happens you typically won't win. Other than our Qb to our Wrs we were not in sync anywhere on the field together as a team.

If I want to blame coaching, I'd go with Vigen with lack of runs to the outside. And I'd go with Stanard for not adjusting properly after being burned. But blaming coaches can only go so far. There were a core group of players on both sides of the ball who did not play well. Can't blame Vigen when your star Wideout is dropping the ball on the ground and halting another drive. can't blame Allens effort to get to the end zone when our OL has played subpar all game and are out of position and hold! Can't blame Hill for gaining medial 82 yards when his OL won't open up a freaking hole. There was a general lack of effort on the field that screed us more than coaching last night.

Just my take.
Solid analysis.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:I agree we didnt have great play calling. I thought we'd at least run to the outside a little more. But passing was quite good. Our wrs were hitting the seems well and the ball was getting to them quickly and accurately. Our real killers last night:

Just my take.
Vigens offense is too predictable. With4 pix, 2 returned for six, this game should have never been in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Poke-proud wrote:Vigens offense is too predictable.
Could Vigen be the bastard son of Vic Koenning? Offense looks a lot like Vic's 4 play scheme. I complained years ago to the athletic dept. about the offense and got a personal hand written post card from Vic saying he doesn't believe in "trick plays", like a reverse. He pointed out that he tried one the previous week against CSU and it didn't work.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote:
Could Vigen be the bastard son of Vic Koenning? Offense looks a lot like Vic's 4 play scheme. I complained years ago to the athletic dept. about the offense and got a personal hand written post card from Vic saying he doesn't believe in "trick plays", like a reverse. He pointed out that he tried one the previous week against CSU and it didn't work.
Haha, that's too funny!

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Poke-proud wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:
Haha, that's too funny!

Sad thing, is predictability "going to work"?

ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:F BLM? I'll say it. Those guys are misguided in all things .
Bohl was heated in post game for safety of players. What a shi show emu is. Control your damn fans. Use force if needed. Pokes deserved to lose that, but the timing of these protests are awful.
If the only thing that riled Bohls feathers were some disillusioned morons off the field then this problem is bigger than any of us know...I feel like we should protest the piss poor display of football we were treated to last night
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:If the only thing that riled Bohls feathers were some disillusioned morons off the field then this problem is bigger than any of us know...I feel like we should protest the piss poor display of football we were treated to last night
You're right! Shame on coach for being more worried about the lives and safety of his players than a GAME!
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:If the only thing that riled Bohls feathers were some disillusioned morons off the field then this problem is bigger than any of us know...I feel like we should protest the piss poor display of football we were treated to last night
You're right! Shame on coach for being more worried about the lives and safety of his players than a GAME!

LMAO. Give me a break Josh. FYI Craig Bohl isn't Jesus. He does make mistakes (unfortunately for us appears to be too many of them.)
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

wyoav211933 wrote:Well, I guess it depends on how you define progress. The talent I think is ahead of what it was a year or even two years ago. Talent alone doesn't win games though. Play calling was pretty original. Execution wasn't there (there is really no excuse for procedure penalty at the goalline and block FG).

But I think we frequently overlook the fact that this the third straight year that we are starting a first year started at QB. Now I think Allen is the best of that bunch, but the line, WR, and RB probably have a hard time getting adjusted to a new QB year after year, the coordinators probably have a hard time creating a gameplan around a new QB year after year, and our offense is prone to rookie mistakes year after year. I know to some degree Bohl really couldn't help the QB situation, but to some degree he maybe could have too. Perhaps I'm wrong, maybe is more systemic than that, but I just don't know how you can be built to last with that type of turnover at the most important position in football.
I have to agree with this.

The one thing I have to say - Vigen needs to take his chances a bit earlier in the game. Allen is a good quarterback, but under pressure to win the game, he just tries to hard. As OC, he needs slowly increase the pressure to get a score on the field - not wait until the last minute and make the pressure red hot on Allen - who will then start throwing picks.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:This game was like a 3-ring circus. There were distractions before, during, and after the game. It seems like every team we play now know all they have to do is shut down our running game and they can beat us. I don't know how many they were stacking the box with last night, but every time Hill got the ball he drew a big crowd. Our O-line didn't have a chance.
On the other side of the ball, every time they ran the ball, you could drive a semi through the hole. We made enough mistakes to easily win the game. I'm not going to name names or point fingers yet - I want to look at the game film a couple more times, but some things are glaring and have been going on all season and are not being corrected.
We got to really get better at faking handoffs in the backfield. I watched our defense get confused against their option all night long. They thought the ball was being ran right - but the qb was running left.

We don't do much of the read option - but damn - if we have an RB in the backfield - act like your carrying the ball when going out for a pass - or a block. Screw that defense up a bit.

A few years ago, our receivers wouldn't block for each other. They are doing a much better job now. The defense needs to be sold on some of this stuff to make these plays work.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

WyoBrandX wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:This game was like a 3-ring circus. There were distractions before, during, and after the game. It seems like every team we play now know all they have to do is shut down our running game and they can beat us. I don't know how many they were stacking the box with last night, but every time Hill got the ball he drew a big crowd. Our O-line didn't have a chance.
We got to really get better at faking handoffs in the backfield. I watched our defense get confused against their option all night long. They thought the ball was being ran right - but the qb was running left.

We don't do much of the read option - but damn - if we have an RB in the backfield - act like your carrying the ball when going out for a pass - or a block. Screw that defense up a bit.

A few years ago, our receivers wouldn't block for each other. They are doing a much better job now. The defense needs to be sold on some of this stuff to make these plays work.
I have noticed that too. They act like it is not important, but it is. It sure was keeping us off balance.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Meh, for me pretty much everything is the same. Breakout teams have a year prior to their good season in which they play a lot of close games. No real surprises so far, at least for me.

The MWC is terrible so we'll be competitive in several games. As long as we don't start getting blown out and remain competitive in every game, I'm not too worried.

Lots of rebuilds don't see fruition or signs of big progress until year 4. We better damn sure be at 7+ wins next year, but the first 3 are often a crapshoot. My main concern is the same as when the Bowl hire was announced: "can he get or develop the lines he needs for this offense and defense"? Jury is definitely out on that still.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
Are you serious? There was every indication, by the officials, tv announcers, and radio announcers that they were peaceful and posing no immediate threat. The players were in no danger. Get out of here with that crap.

It's an easy excuse to say "man those protesters really affected our game plan blah blah blah" instead of saying the painful truth, that the Cowboys got manhandled by a terrible team.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Are you serious? There was every indication, by the officials, tv announcers, and radio announcers that they were peaceful and posing no immediate threat. The players were in no danger. Get out of here with that crap.
You think Bohl had a radio or TV on the sidelines to know that?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo