Progress?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Slow Hand wrote:Coach Bohl will have them turned around by year 8! I am sure of it. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Seven. 3 in the books, 4 to go. Gotta give him 6, possibly 7. If Vigen & Stanard are still his guys, and still calling the same poop game (and refusing to change to the personnel), he won't make it that far though.

And for all you NDSU fanboy motherphuckers, it is much easier to win at 1A 6 man football, than 5A. All you need to win at 6 man is a couple of speed guys and you are golden.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:The thing about CSU beating Minnesota (who already beat Oregon State, so they're at least "okay" - and yeah, I watched Boise beat Oregon State too) is that it was only their new QB's second game. He obviously wasn't a super star, but their offense was still okay overall, and they managed 24 first downs throughout the game. If our D can confuse the kid the way they did EMU's QB, we can rattle him for sure, but if not?

Real question is, how much better is Minnesota than EMU?
I don't think EMU is that good. We played a poor game. But, they are 3-1 and did manage a convincing win on the road at Charlotte. They also got throttled at Missouri...but Missouri didn't let up and scored the last few TD's.

I'm wondering what happened to our running game. There were only a couple changes along the Oline, but we were shut down at EMU. At Nebraska I can understand, but EMU? And how were they able to run on us better than both Nebraska and NIU? Strange.

Time to get it going Saturday night against the sheep.
I think it's missing our center and having Roullier at center. Basically we're worse at two of the five O line positions this year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:The thing about CSU beating Minnesota (who already beat Oregon State, so they're at least "okay" - and yeah, I watched Boise beat Oregon State too) is that it was only their new QB's second game. He obviously wasn't a super star, but their offense was still okay overall, and they managed 24 first downs throughout the game. If our D can confuse the kid the way they did EMU's QB, we can rattle him for sure, but if not?

I don't think EMU is that good. We played a poor game. But, they are 3-1 and did manage a convincing win on the road at Charlotte. They also got throttled at Missouri...but Missouri didn't let up and scored the last few TD's.

I'm wondering what happened to our running game. There were only a couple changes along the Oline, but we were shut down at EMU. At Nebraska I can understand, but EMU? And how were they able to run on us better than both Nebraska and NIU? Strange.

I think it's missing our center and having Roullier at center. Basically we're worse at two of the five O line positions this year.
But Roullier is all-everything, pre-season American this and that. How can we fall that far, when our center has all of those accolades?
Dear Karma,

Slow Hand
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:Coach Bohl will have them turned around by year 8! I am sure of it. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Off the bandwagon? Or, never on it?
I am just making light of the whole situation. However, I don't think it has been any secret that I am not a Bohl fan. Great guy, understands how to recruit to ND, but is in over his head in Wyo. JMHO. For the sake of the kids that are there I hope they have success and if they do I will humbly eat my words that I have spewed all over this board for three years. #Gopokes.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
I am just making light of the whole situation. However, I don't think it has been any secret that I am not a Bohl fan. Great guy, understands how to recruit to ND, but is in over his head in Wyo. JMHO. For the sake of the kids that are there I hope they have success and if they do I will humbly eat my words that I have spewed all over this board for three years. #Gopokes.
im still waiting a few years on Bohl, but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
im still waiting a few years on Bohl, but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
Too early to tell. Team is still starting mostly underclassmen. And all this is in reaction to a loss on the road...a close loss in which the Pokes had many opportunities to put away, but didn't. Easily the worst game of the year aside from the 4th quarter at Nebrasak. The teams we've lost to are 7-1. And. none were FCS.

A lot of football to play and I don't think this team is even close to reaching it's peak.

Go Pokes!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
Too early to tell. Team is still staring mostly underclassmen. And all this is in reaction to a loss on the road...a close loss in which the Pokes had many opportunities to put away, but didn't. Easily the worst game of the year aside from the 4th quarter at Nebrasak. The teams we've lost to are 7-1. And. none were FCS.

A lot of football to play and I don't think this team is even close to reaching it's peak.

Go Pokes!!!
As cooler heads prevail, I find myself agreeing with this. That being said, there are a number of issues that need to be cleaned up or changes need to happen this offseason
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

Thats what it appears like, the Offensive line hasn't looked improved this year. Pokes couldn't run well on Neb or EMU. The offensive and defensive lines both were severely beaten against EMU. D gave up 239 in rushing while the O only managed to get 79 total yards rushing. That was the most disappointing thing to see because thats something you can't fix easily.
Some of that is play calling, Bohl and Vigen better figure out some ways to give the running backs at least a chance to get out of the backfield. One other thing I noticed is the Pokes offensive line seems to line up too close together. They need to spread out just a little bit more, Pokes just aren't big enough to line up and run over people. Their going to have to be a little more creative on offense.
On defense their going to have to run more stunts and do some run blitzes. Against EMU on passing downs, a Wyoming linebacker would stand back, then rush late and basically just take himself out of the play. He would have been better off just staying in coverage.
Wyoming can't rely on getting turnovers against CSU, and their lines are at least as good or better than EMU. Their just going to have to play a really good game to win.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
I believe Bohl is a good coach, his legacy at NDSU demonstrates that. Understanding you recruit kids/skills based on the program you are trying run, it's only fair to give a coach time to get the kids he's recruited on the field and time to run the schemes. That said were getting to his first year of those kids. There is little doubt there is improvement defensively, and some lapses in coverage due to youth. I am a believer that Bohl is a good coach, and can recruit to Laramie as he did in Fargo. Hill is a great example - P5 schools would love to have him and the kids a stud. I'm not as big of a fan of the OC, and believe he's too predictable in his play calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

kansasCowboy wrote:...but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
Ouch!

It wasn't over Erickson's, Roach's, Tiller's, or Dimel's head. It certainly - clearly - was over Vic's. I think Glenn's demise was his OC, and he was too loyal, too late. Glenn didn't have the budget either (that Dickface was given). Dickface was clearly all ego and attitude...a recipe for disaster from day 1 (that should have been sniffed out in the interview process).

Now, we have 'ol Bohly...and the jury is still out (unfortunately). Gotta give him 4 more though - if he can get through to his coordinators (or make changes). If not, he needs to call Burman up, so they can arrange to help each other pack their poop.

Jack Graham hired McElwain with a goal in mind. He bumped the salary from Fairchild by double, increased the assistant salary pool by almost double, increased the recruiting budget by 6 figures, and was hell bent on making those green and gold turds winners. And it worked. Compare that to UW and Burman.
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

When Kansas and I "debated" build timelines, it was pretty obvious that 3 or 4 years is a critical mark. Not every team that hit 7 wins by year 4 went on a successful run but hardly any successful build took over 4 years to reach 7+ wins.

I'm fully on board still and I don't believe this year's record will predict next year's as long as we don't start getting torched.

However, if we aren't at 7+ wins next year, then I think the Bohl experiment failed. For once, I agree with Kansas, if Bohl fails I think it is an indication that WYO can't compete in modern football.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:...but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
Ouch!

It wasn't over Erickson's, Roach's, Tiller's, or Dimel's head. It certainly - clearly - was over Vic's. I think Glenn's demise was his OC, and he was too loyal, too late. Glenn didn't have the budget either (that Dickface was given). Dickface was clearly all ego and attitude...a recipe for disaster from day 1 (that should have been sniffed out in the interview process).

Now, we have 'ol Bohly...and the jury is still out (unfortunately). Gotta give him 4 more though - if he can get through to his coordinators (or make changes). If not, he needs to call Burman up, so they can arrange to help each other pack their poop.

Jack Graham hired McElwain with a goal in mind. He bumped the salary from Fairchild by double, increased the assistant salary pool by almost double, increased the recruiting budget by 6 figures, and was hell bent on making those green and gold turds winners. And it worked. Compare that to UW and Burman.
Erickson, Roach, Tiller, and even Dimel, were coaches in a completely different landscape of college football. The world of D-1A (FBS) football has changed so much just in the last 20 years, that it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I DO think that Wyoming can be a winner again, but there is no way it will happen in a 2-3 year span. UW is a school now that success will take a large chunk of time to achieve. IMO, best case scenario is a 4-5 year turnaround. This is why firing someone after 4 years is jumping the gun as they will need that time, plus some, to show if they can be succesful in Laramie or not.

To put it succinctly, if you want immediate results, go watch the SEC. If you want to see Wyo return to success, hunker down, wait and see; it won't happen overnight, but if it does, it will take a few years.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Ouch!

Erickson, Roach, Tiller, and even Dimel, were coaches in a completely different landscape of college football. The world of D-1A (FBS) football has changed so much just in the last 20 years, that it's like comparing apples to oranges.

I DO think that Wyoming can be a winner again, but there is no way it will happen in a 2-3 year span. UW is a school now that success will take a large chunk of time to achieve. IMO, best case scenario is a 4-5 year turnaround. This is why firing someone after 4 years is jumping the gun as they will need that time, plus some, to show if they can be succesful in Laramie or not.

To put it succinctly, if you want immediate results, go watch the SEC. If you want to see Wyo return to success, hunker down, wait and see; it won't happen overnight, but if it does, it will take a few years.
For years I've preached giving coaches more time. I've debated and brought up hall of fame coaches that took 6 + years of losing records before they even seen a hint of success in their career. Why do I think WYO will not make it? Because before we give Bohl that opportunity, we will get rid of him. Wyo is impatient. I said it about Koenning, he wasn't a great coach, but by year three instead of losing by blowouts, like the previous two years, even though he went 2-10, the majority of those losses were by less than a TD. He had major improvement. We tossed him before he could truly have a chance at succeeding. Bohl is right there with Koenning right now, and after 13 years everyone is finally saying, "he needs time. Give him 4-8 years." And even though fans are starting to buy in to the "taking time" idea, will Burman or UW? Burman will want to save his ass, as he somehow has his entire career.
Glenn got six years and DC got five. I know DC coached half ass his last year because he already knew the nail was in the coffin for him, you could hear it in his postgame interviews. He didn't care about that last year. "I know we were on the wrong end of the score at the end of this one, but it sure was a fun one to coach..." DC after losing in a shootout after SJSU. The year before we had injuries out the ass on O and D, which stymied us on the win side and we limped to 4-8. 4-8. After just coming off 8-5 and a bowl game. And he is at risk after one down year after getting us to a bowl? What coach would want that?
Bohl should get a year four barring him not matching or having one more win than last year. And the. He gets a tough OOC schedule next year with probably less talent star wise. We will be out our two top wrs. Our top TE. Probably Hill and Wick. And that's just the O side. Who do we have to replace these guys?
Overstreet? Evans? Neither have rushed for over 100 yards in their career. What about wideouts? Parker? Johnson? Mayfield? Pretty sure their numbers are quite minimal as well. This year we are relying on these go to guys to get it done. What happens in year four when even those guys couldn't get it done this year? Will everyone finally lose patience? Seems like an average of 2,000 fans already have considering we only average 18k this year at home. If that number drops, even more this year, that will be a big problem for Bohl.
So, will UW and its fanbase have patience. Or will Bohl just be the next guy tossed, before he even got any real momentum?
16 years. 16 years and we keep losing because we toss coaches before they can even try to turn things around.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Kansas Cowboy, I'm not going to copy your post. I think some of it is spot on but I don't agree with your conclusions. Regarding Vic: He was a not a good game day coach. And for a defensive guy, we gave up a ton of points every year of his tenure. The writing was on the wall with Glenn after it became clear he could not recruit d1 talent on offense. We went through 1 qb after another, many of them not really d1 talent - Dax Crum and Stutzreim come to mind. Plus, Glenn never brought in a game breaker to stretch the defense. Giving him more time was not the answer.

As an outsider to the personality issues that have been mentioned regarding Dave Christensen, I only know what he brought to the table. ACS, Alexander, Herron, Josh Doctson, Bret Smith, and we had the makings of really great offense. I think Doctson leaving after his freshman year really hurt Smith. It's strange how his last year went. We lose at Texas state, then barely beat a bad New Mexico team. Then csewe came into Laramie and beat the hell out of us. I never saw us play less inspired - like the team didn't care anymore. I don't see how we could keep him when it seemed like he lost the team.

Bohl seems to have stepped into a perfect situation. The bar has been set so low that I can barely believe what I'm seeing on this board. Last year, nearly every game we played was settled by half time. It's hard for me to see the improvement this year except we have been in every game going to the 4th qtr. I think we could lose every conference game this year and Bohl would still get a 4th year. I don't know how it will all play out but I see the same issues regarding this team as last years - no game breaker on offense and lousy offensive line play. Csewe will blitz the house and dare us to beat them deep - something we are not very good at. I will be very interested to see our game plan to keep them honest.
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

5 years for a coach is plenty to know if they can succeed, the fact Glenn was here 6 years and DC for 5 does show patience imo. DC can't even get a job now, and he wasn't an effective head coach.
This is Bohl's 3rd year, only a few people are advocating getting rid of him. He almost certainly will be here thru next year. I'm looking more long term but I am disappointed in some things thus far. I think Bohl is a good coach, but is he too stubborn to modify his offense to his personnel?
If you go look at college football coaches, even successful coaches get fired. Thats the lay of the land.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

kansasCowboy wrote:....but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
I'm embarrassed to admit ... this thought has been rattling around in my head lately as well. The list of High achieving Cowboy football teams doesn't include any from the modern era. I know that College football has changed tremendously in the last 20 years, but what changes, specifically, have made it so difficult to win here?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:....but I'm starting to think Wyoming is over anyone's head...
I'm embarrassed to admit ... this thought has been rattling around in my head lately as well. The list of High achieving Cowboy football teams doesn't include any from the modern era. I know that College football has changed tremendously in the last 20 years, but what changes, specifically, have made it so difficult to win here?
Bad coaching hires for one. Wyoming was competitive up until Vic Koenning. Vic, by winning 5 games in 3 years took the program back decades. Joe had some success (especially against BCS teams), but in the end, his offense's weren't good enough. DC was able to bring in good QB's and had a decent offense, but his defenses suffered. Crap happens.

When you look at peer programs, most are in the same boat. Only a couple have history of sustained success.....mainly Boise and Air Force to a lesser degree. Of all non BCS schools, only Boise and BYU have had sustained success. The concept behind "build it and they will come" is playing out right now. Get this program back on track and Bohl will make sure we have continued success.

We're lucky we aren't fans of New Mexico for example. They haven't won an outright conference title since the 1960's. They did win a divisional title in 1997 however.

We are getting back to being a competitive program. The team, although still young, has improved. And, will continue to improve. Hopefully some of our fans will have the needed patience to see the rebuild through.

We're only 4 games into the season and have matched our win total from last year. And, of our two losses, one of closer than the final score and the other was winnable.

Go Pokes!!
Last edited by JimmyDimes on Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Yes, it's not like it's just Wyoming. It's the whole G5 that's had trouble sustaining success.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote:
Conference realignment and the BCS label for 1. That label automatically designates us (now G5 label) as second class citizens. Then add in budgets. We used to be ahead of csu in budgets. Lots of teams surpassed us. They spend more and recruit more. When budgets got out of hand, we have a small population and small student enrollment making revenue generation difficult, especially without vision. We focused on facilities and ignored people. We overvalued the benefit of shiny buildings and undervalued the importance of salary to bring in top notch people.

We were part of a surging MWC after BCS crelation but trying to compete with schools spending double what we were. Now the MWC is nothing relevant and we have no real recruiting advantage over the Sun Belt or other G5. Without the budget, without the prestige, without some level of success, Laramie is even harder to recruit to. Without a tv market or big alumni base or big student enrollment numbers, revenue generation is tough. It has been an ugly road since the late 80s and early 90s.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

It seems Les Miles is now available. But maybe he is too run-oriented to be acceptable in Laramie?