Will we actually fire someone before it's too late?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Can Bohl fire Vigen without losing his own job?

Can Burman fire Bohl without losing his job? In other words, is Edwards doing enough to give Burman a pass?

I'm not saying anyone in the group of Bohl, Vigen, and Burman should be fired... although I think some very convincing arguments can be made. I'm more interested if you all think Bohl/Burman still have enough credibility to make some changes without being shown the exit themselves...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

IMO Burman needed to canned YEARS ago.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Burman has stated that he hitched his wagon to Bohl.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Im still in on bohl. His coordinators need to go and go now. Really, Bohl and his weight/conditioning coach should be the only safe coaches on this staff
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I worry Bohl would never part with Vigen. He views him as a protege of sorts. Some protege.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:Im still in on bohl. His coordinators need to go and go now. Really, Bohl and his weight/conditioning coach should be the only safe coaches on this staff
Doesn't matter - not enough money to hire anyone worth a poop anyways.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

It is pretty rare that a D1 Athletic Director gets an opportunity to hire 3 head coaches during their tenure. I give Burman credit for figuring that out.
I'm good for 3!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote:It is pretty rare that a D1 Athletic Director gets an opportunity to hire 3 head coaches during their tenure. I give Burman credit for figuring that out.
Finally, someone on a sodium free diet! I love the positive spin!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

How Burman has survived three bad head coaches amazes me. Jury's still out on Bohl, I guess, but something has to be done.
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

Well I don't think we will fire anyone in season. On a quick side note, I do think Bohl was a good hire and I don't really think he should be fired, but I do think that Bohl is a sort of unusual choice for Wyoming from a purely stylistic point of view. His style isn't all that unlike Iowa, who relies on big powerful lineman and power RB to manage possession. And while we've been fortunate to have one really good back, we sort of lack the depth at RB and we especially lack the size on the lines (and have for years and years) to be successful with that style.

Not saying that I want to run a spread offense necessarily either, but rather run an offense that relies more on creativity, intelligence, misdirection, and the occasional trick play than on brute strength or sheer speed. Sort of like what Boise State used to do before they were able to get good.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I know it won't happen this season ( or likely the next two) but the next HC for UW should be Gregg Brandon. 14 games over .500 as a HC at the D 1 level. I know most are holding out hope that Bohl gets it figured out, but it's not going to happen with the coaching staff he assembled. It's only slightly better than Glenn having Cockhill as and oc and Christensen having Chris Tormey as a dc.

I'll gladly eat crow if he gets this team above 4 wins this year, or a bowl game next year. Just to reiterate I know Bohl has till year six and this is just a pipe dream at the moment. UW football is one of my favorite things on earth as far as entertainment, and we have no semblance of being relevant in today's college football world. I fear we are on the path of Idaho if a winning formula isn't figured out soon.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Any coaching changes by Bohl likely won't happen until the end of the season.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Well, I'll say it now- if Bohl loses to CSEwe and goes on to win less than 4 games this season, he will only have one more to turn it around.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyovanian wrote:Well, I'll say it now- if Bohl loses to CSEwe and goes on to win less than 4 games this season, he will only have one more to turn it around.
Honestly, next season HAS to be a winning season.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:Well, I'll say it now- if Bohl loses to CSEwe and goes on to win less than 4 games this season, he will only have one more to turn it around.
Meh. He beats CSEwe and picks up one more win, he'd likely survive a 5-7 season next year.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Meh. He beats CSEwe and picks up one more win, he'd likely survive a 5-7 season next year.
We get 7 home games next year, and play the 3 worst teams in the West division (Fresno and Hawaii at home). That needs to be at least a 6 win season
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

You have to expect that any decision about Bohl will come when he's had five seasons.

Coaches are of course evaluated every year, but it's not at all strictly about wins and losses. It's about progression of the program, program integrity, an assessment of whether program progress or lack of progress will change or payoff or whatever, where the program started before the coach, what the options are if he's let go, fundraising, the program's national expectations, etc.

Don't see anything -- barring some scandal -- that's not going to result in Bohl in having five years.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:You have to expect that any decision about Bohl will come when he's had five seasons.

Coaches are of course evaluated every year, but it's not at all strictly about wins and losses. It's about progression of the program, program integrity, an assessment of whether program progress or lack of progress will change or payoff or whatever, where the program started before the coach, what the options are if he's let go, fundraising, the program's national expectations, etc.

Don't see anything -- barring some scandal -- that's not going to result in Bohl in having five years.
A loss to CSEwe and a 3-9 season this year, followed by a losing season next year (with a more favorable schedule) would probably end his career at Wyoming.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

wyoav211933 wrote:Well I don't think we will fire anyone in season. On a quick side note, I do think Bohl was a good hire and I don't really think he should be fired, but I do think that Bohl is a sort of unusual choice for Wyoming from a purely stylistic point of view. His style isn't all that unlike Iowa, who relies on big powerful lineman and power RB to manage possession. And while we've been fortunate to have one really good back, we sort of lack the depth at RB and we especially lack the size on the lines (and have for years and years) to be successful with that style.

Not saying that I want to run a spread offense necessarily either, but rather run an offense that relies more on creativity, intelligence, misdirection, and the occasional trick play than on brute strength or sheer speed. Sort of like what Boise State used to do before they were able to get good.
I don't think it is just the Iowa formula. This is basically what a lot of Midwestern teams historically did. I also think we are starting to see more recruiting inroads into the Midwest for linemen. I suspect that, if it works, we will also like what this means for late season home games at the War.

I do disagree about depth at RB. Remember, we moved one starter, D.J. May to defense. We have Parade All American Overstreet redshirting this year as he recovers from a knee injury--and we aren't desperately thin without him.

What I saw last night was a pair of lines that just didn't have what it takes yet. We knew going into the season that our lines were the biggest question marks (aside from QB). We can also watch the Philadelphia Eagles for proof that Coach Bohl can recognize serious potential on the recruiting trail.

I didn't like seeing us get manhandled last night. We didn't deserve to win. On the other hand, if we make the fieldgoal that got blocked, the late touchdown only ties the game. Even though the W/L record only looks at scores and not style, I still think I have seen significant progress from last year and I believe we will see more as the lines get deeper, bigger, and stronger.

At the end of the day, I feel much better about where the program is at now than I did under Coach Christiansen, even with the bowl appearances. I also like a program that is working toward being able to dominate a game instead of a system that is trying to overcome an opponent who should dominate if it weren't for our gimmicks and rare big plays.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I don't think the D line got manhandled that bad. O line got whipped