Frustrating

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

What makes this last game frustrating, is that we had our chances...more than enough chances...and did not capitalize on those opportunities.

But when it's all said and done, we are all still Wyoming Cowboys and will loyally cheer on our team, because that's what real fans do! Through weeks of highs and decades of lows, we are all Cowboys at heart. We will proudly wear our brown and gold and sport Steamboat all over the globe!

Go Pokes!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

kdwrightuwyo wrote:But when it's all said and done, we are all still Wyoming Cowboys and will loyally cheer on our team, because that's what real fans do! Through weeks of highs and decades of lows, we are all Cowboys at heart. We will proudly wear our brown and gold and sport Steamboat all over the globe!

Go Pokes!
Thank you! I haven't seen enough of this expressed on the board over the last 12 or so hours. While others may be jumping ship, I am staying committed to UW even though others may think I'd have the most reason to disappear. This team may be struggling, but I still believe in the future. The Pokes will get this turned around sooner rather than later.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I will be honest...I went to bed angry. Now that I've slept on it, and I woke up and had time to think about it more.... I'm even more angry.

We just got slapped around by a team who should not be beating us. At least we can take comfort that two other teams lost to emu and can join us in our misery. Look at us talking about how we shouldn't have lost to this team or that team. Could you imagine how NIU feels? Losing to us.

I'm trying to see a silver lining here, and I got nothing. Some here have said "our d kept us in it." I disagree. I saw two touchdowns given to us on a platter by a BAD qb. I saw our experimental kicking game on display again. Emu should've won by three scores. I saw an o line getting mauled by a team with an ugly gray field and no fans in the stands.

We don't have a game changing playmaker. Before i get skewered for that comment, I am seeing Hill had been up and down this year.

Our d was torched all night. Our O looked awful. I didn't see anything positive.

Will I still cheer them on? Yes. Am I extremely disappointed in the progress of this team? Very.
Last edited by djm19 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:But when it's all said and done, we are all still Wyoming Cowboys and will loyally cheer on our team, because that's what real fans do! Through weeks of highs and decades of lows, we are all Cowboys at heart. We will proudly wear our brown and gold and sport Steamboat all over the globe!

Go Pokes!
Thank you! I haven't seen enough of this expressed on the board over the last 12 or so hours. While others may be jumping ship, I am staying committed to UW even though others may think I'd have the most reason to disappear. This team may be struggling, but I still believe in the future. The Pokes will get this turned around sooner rather than later.
No one said we are jumping ship Josh. Just a time to come back to reality after the exuberance of beating UC Davis.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I mean, yes, our D gave up a lot of yards, but isn't that bound to happen when you play aggressive like that? Sure, there's room for improvement - two touchdowns wouldn't have happened if a certain corner had just turned his head around.

As far as results go for the defense, though, I'll happily take their outcome 10 times out of 10, that is, giving up 27 points and scoring 14 (yeah, I give the extra points to the D, because most people credit them to the O when they score) is a net of -13. If our offense scores less than 13 in ANY game, we're in trouble. We should EXPECT at least 20 from them in ALL games.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Besides, it seems like many of the die-hard fans are on here. Many students would miss the MWC title game for a free Arby's sandwich anyway. Most are a fickle bunch.

A win this weekend is a must for Bohl and the team.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

After we beat Davis this board became extremely optimistic about how we have changed and how we could easily be a bowl team...

We're still very young. And that will play a factor in that you will typically have up and down weeks more so than you will winning streaks. I think these guys will be capable, but I think we're still growing. It also doesn't help when your senior star Wr is putting the ball on the ground and stopping good drives. TWICE!!!
You rely on your older leaders to take charge in games like these. Ours choked last night.
I didn't see who got the penalty when Allens TD was called back, so I can't say much there.
Freshman kicker got a Fg blocked... Not the end of the world. Maulhardt hasn't gotten off good on a snap pretty much all season... Not like he was toward the end of last year. He gets jammed early and his route is off most of the time.
The majority of the play calling on both sides was good enough to win. The lack of execution either by OLine or being out of position in coverage almost every play will kill ANY play called. There were some bad play calls, I won't say there weren't. But each side seemed called overly well. But I'm sure that the team that hit the field against NIU would've destroyed EMU last night with the same play calling. Difference between the two games... Lack of execution.
sol_11
Buckaroo

a team with an ugly gray field and no fans in the stands.
Aww your team gets their butts kicked by the same team 2 years in a row and all you can do is insult their field and fan base. What a pity
djm19
WyoNation Addict

sol_11 wrote:
Aww your team gets their butts kicked by the same team 2 years in a row and all you can do is insult their field and fan base. What a pity
The field is ugly. It is what it is.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

sol_11 wrote:

Don't tell me you're an EMU fan gloating right now... Take the win and be humble. You know how bad your program is. Not talking year to year here either. But every year. At least we have a program with a rich history to hang our hats on. What do you have? And this team will rise again. Not like we're the joke of college football. We'll leave that for EMU and Kansas.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

sol_11 wrote:
Don't even get me started on the whole fans protesting. What a shi show that was.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Did everyone forget how bad this team was last year? These guys are significantly improved from last years team that would have struggled with Black Hills State. This team is competing with everyone which is a big step forward from last year. I'm not making excuses for the pathetic showing last night, but this team is making progress. I am frustrated with last nights performance since it should have been a comfortable win.I'm not going to give up on this regime quite yet though.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

djm19 wrote: Our O looked awful..
It also looked very vanilla, very predictable. Where were the reverses, or even a jet sweep, or anything unusual to throw off the defense? Nope. None of that ungentlemanly behavior. Run it up the middle, drop back and pass, or on rare occasion role out to pass.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

sol_11 wrote:
You're right - trucked us twice, but I'm not sure what we saw in the stands last night would be considered a fan base. A single deck stadium with tarps over move than 50% of the seats and, ahem, plenty of "legroom" between the tens of fans that decided to show up. He didn't insult anyone as this is our home board and he can vent as he sees fit. Isn't your first love playing in Ann Arbor right now?
djm19
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:
djm19 wrote: Our O looked awful..
It also looked very vanilla, very predictable. Where were the reverses, or even a jet sweep, or anything unusual to throw off the defense? Nope. None of that ungentlemanly behavior. Run it up the middle, drop back and pass, or on rare occasion role out to pass.
Dive middle. Dive right. Dive right. Punt.

Off tackle left. Dive middle. What looks to be a screen play. Punt

Dive middle. Dive middle. Long bomb. Punt.

The qb sneak was consistently getting the yards. Why not.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:After we beat Davis this board became extremely optimistic about how we have changed and how we could easily be a bowl team...

We're still very young. And that will play a factor in that you will typically have up and down weeks more so than you will winning streaks. I think these guys will be capable, but I think we're still growing. It also doesn't help when your senior star Wr is putting the ball on the ground and stopping good drives. TWICE!!!
You rely on your older leaders to take charge in games like these. Ours choked last night.
I didn't see who got the penalty when Allens TD was called back, so I can't say much there.
Freshman kicker got a Fg blocked... Not the end of the world. Maulhardt hasn't gotten off good on a snap pretty much all season... Not like he was toward the end of last year. He gets jammed early and his route is off most of the time.
The majority of the play calling on both sides was good enough to win. The lack of execution either by OLine or being out of position in coverage almost every play will kill ANY play called. There were some bad play calls, I won't say there weren't. But each side seemed called overly well. But I'm sure that the team that hit the field against NIU would've destroyed EMU last night with the same play calling. Difference between the two games... Lack of execution.
Plenty of coach talk right there. It's always the players lack of execution that cost the team the game. The repeated blitzes up the middle with the line pinching were useless and left the secondary in poor coverages that were easily exploited. The repeated runs up the middle when our linemen clearly couldn't handle the penetration were simply idiotic. They were blatantly bringing run blitzes in the first half and the coaches couldn't adjust to take advantage. You can blame the players for not executing, but a good coach adjusts his play calling to the situation instead of setting his players up for failure. I don't believe the coordinators did a terrible job, but I do think they stick to their guns a little too much.

That blocked kick looked like a terrible kick to me. He needed a pitching wedge and brought the driver instead. One of our linemen could have blocked that with his helmet if he had stood up. This kid needs to grow up quick because he's slightly above the trash we had last year.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote:Did everyone forget how bad this team was last year? These guys are significantly improved from last years team that would have struggled with Black Hills State. This team is competing with everyone which is a big step forward from last year. I'm not making excuses for the pathetic showing last night, but this team is making progress. I am frustrated with last nights performance since it should have been a comfortable win.I'm not going to give up on this regime quite yet though.
Exactly. There's no problem with being frustrated last night, but this is a much different situation from last year. It's not as simple as "we lost to EMU both last year and this year so that means no progress has been made so fire everybody"
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

The kick was low the kick was blocked.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:After we beat Davis this board became extremely optimistic about how we have changed and how we could easily be a bowl team...

Plenty of coach talk right there. It's always the players lack of execution that cost the team the game. The repeated blitzes up the middle with the line pinching were useless and left the secondary in poor coverages that were easily exploited. The repeated runs up the middle when our linemen clearly couldn't handle the penetration were simply idiotic. They were blatantly bringing run blitzes in the first half and the coaches couldn't adjust to take advantage. You can blame the players for not executing, but a good coach adjusts his play calling to the situation instead of setting his players up for failure. I don't believe the coordinators did a terrible job, but I do think they stick to their guns a little too much.

That blocked kick looked like a terrible kick to me. He needed a pitching wedge and brought the driver instead. One of our linemen could have blocked that with his helmet if he had stood up. This kid needs to grow up quick because he's slightly above the trash we had last year.
Absolutely correct that our coaches stuck to their guns too much. I would choose three possessions where I would've faked the run up the middle and passin the open coverage. And then pass again. And again and hopefully my wideout doesn't fumble after a big catch and pass again until I saw the box scoot back. Then hit them with a run inside and then out. And go back to passing.

If I had the call Hill would at least have a hundred yards and possibly two tds, and instead of 18-25 passing, Allens numbers would look more like (just using the current percentage) 26-34. The ball gets spread a little more and I'm going to make EMU stop our passing game. When the get a head up on coverage, go right back to Hill and bulldoze the ground game.
And that is what we didn't do play call wise. But with the plays we did have did you see a good push up front ever last night? We were pushed back just like we were against Nebraska. The D loading the box is one thing, the OLine pushing the D back is another. Regardless of whether the box is loaded or not, the O lineman has one guy they are supposed to take advantage of, they rarely, if ever did that last night. They aren't responsible for everyone, but they are responsible for at least one. Lack of execution.
Hill ran decent, but he didn't run hard. In fact he's yet to run hard this year. Last year when he was stuck in the backfield he would make a play and go into overdrive and gain yards where there was none... Still waiting for that this year. Lack of execution.
Maulhardt jammed at the line... Execution.

I can go position by position on D as well. You can blame coaches only so much. Players have to "PLAY" they didn't last night. Which is why I said, if the team that played NIU was out there, even with the play calling, you would've seen a different game...
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:I will be honest...I went to bed angry. Now that I've slept on it, and I woke up and had time to think about it more.... I'm even more angry.

We just got slapped around by a team who should not be beating us. At least we can take comfort that two other teams lost to emu and can join us in our misery. Look at us talking about how we shouldn't have lost to this team or that team. Could you imagine how NIU feels? Losing to us.

I'm trying to see a silver lining here, and I got nothing. Some here have said "our d kept us in it." I disagree. I saw two touchdowns given to us on a platter by a BAD qb. I saw our experimental kicking game on display again. Emu should've won by three scores. I saw an o line getting mauled by a team with an ugly gray field and no fans in the stands.

We don't have a game changing playmaker. Before i get skewered for that comment, I am seeing Hill had been up and down this year.

Our d was torched all night. Our O looked awful. I didn't see anything positive.

Will I still cheer them on? Yes. Am I extremely disappointed in the progress of this team? Very.
I'm in agreement. We lost to a team we shouldn't have - it's hard to say o well and everything's good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk