Wyoming facing questions about football reclassification

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

Maybe in the future when the CST or WTE dusts off the annual Wyoming Football reclassification article we could counter with a rousing discussion of how many newspapers, including those in Wyoming, are going under and are on the verge of collapse. I'm sure between this and the other board we could provide quite a few "statistics" indicating that newsprint as we know it is going the way of the dinosaur.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyovanian wrote: Reading comprehension- try it. No one that matters is bringing it up. As far as the University is concerned, our FBS status is not on the table.

And yes, you missed it. You seem to have missed quite a lot...
I never said upper level administration was seriously considering dropping down, you know, reading comprehension, you should try it.

I would hope this guy goes into the economics in his subsequent articles, but, 1 simple line of "football makes money and subsidizes other sports" is all that is needed. Nothing else is necessary until football loses money or the debate becomes cutting several programs to save money.

After all, I thought we were discussing a main press article not the likelihood of UW administration doing such a move.

Reading comprehension and all.
This guy matters not. It's a non-issue. Too much time's been wasted on it already. It's Border War Week, time to move along...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Cheywypoke wrote:Maybe in the future when the CST or WTE dusts off the annual Wyoming Football reclassification article we could counter with a rousing discussion of how many newspapers, including those in Wyoming, are going under and are on the verge of collapse. I'm sure between this and the other board we could provide quite a few "statistics" indicating that newsprint as we know it is going the way of the dinosaur.
"Bingo! Oooh, how fun!"

The irony shouldn't be lost on anyone. Someone who's relevance is in decline trying to stir discussion about something's relevance when no one else really is, because it's not really a relevant topic.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Nichols said she has no plans to change the football program’s classification.

“I’m not at all interested in downsizing the football program, going from FBS to FCS,” Nichols said. “It’s not on my list. ... I think that I can manage things on campus and do what we need to do with the budget without completely decimating the athletic program, and I’m very interested in seeing if I can handle that.”

But critics believe Wyoming would be better off dropping down a level to save money, especially given the state’s current economic climate.

“I think some people think that if we move down a level, let’s say go from FBS to FCS, that there would just be immediate savings,” Nichols said. “And I’m not saying there wouldn’t be any. We know that there could be probably a few places we could save a little bit, but really the dollars are so minor that it’s like, ‘We went to all that work, and this is all we saved?’ I really think that people don’t fully understand that.”

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 579ce.html
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Nichols said she has no plans to change the football program’s classification.

“I’m not at all interested in downsizing the football program, going from FBS to FCS,” Nichols said. “It’s not on my list. ... I think that I can manage things on campus and do what we need to do with the budget without completely decimating the athletic program, and I’m very interested in seeing if I can handle that.”

But critics believe Wyoming would be better off dropping down a level to save money, especially given the state’s current economic climate.

“I think some people think that if we move down a level, let’s say go from FBS to FCS, that there would just be immediate savings,” Nichols said. “And I’m not saying there wouldn’t be any. We know that there could be probably a few places we could save a little bit, but really the dollars are so minor that it’s like, ‘We went to all that work, and this is all we saved?’ I really think that people don’t fully understand that.”

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 579ce.html
She doesn't get that we would lose millions by dropping down? She really is stupid.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:She doesn't get that we would lose millions by dropping down? She really is stupid.
Obviously you didn't read the article

“I think the bottom line is changing, it’s not a big money saver,” Nichols said. “In fact, I think people think we’ll save all this money, but the reality is there are not much savings there at all.

But we would lose some things and it’s in the things (like) alumni support, fan support, potentially giving to the university, but probably more importantly visibility, and we want to be as broad and as out there as we can, because we know we need to grow enrollment for this institution.”
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo