Wyoming facing questions about football reclassification

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
HowBoutDemCowboys
Buckaroo

Apprently there has been discussion about Wyoming dropping down a level in football.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 4471f.html
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Here we go again.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LifeItself
Buckaroo

Here's the key quote in my humble opinion:

"But moving down a level wouldn’t necessarily equate to winning more games while spending less money,..."
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I hate the idea really, but would we benefit????? it's about our bottom line anymore
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

It's all about return on investment, at least to the outsiders. Right now that simply isn't happening in the form of on field performance. I think that is only one part of the economic formula.

I would say a majority of us see the benefits of being a D1 program despite the W-L record.
I'm good for 3!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Cornpoke wrote:It's all about return on investment, at least to the outsiders. Right now that simply isn't happening in the form of on field performance. I think that is only one part of the economic formula.

I would say a majority of us see the benefits of being a D1 program despite the W-L record.
Like getting 5 times the amount of money that most FCS schools get? Being on TV? Playing rivals?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

HowBoutDemCowboys wrote:Apprently there has been discussion about Wyoming dropping down a level in football.

Welcome to WyoNation! Interesting first post.

I am guessing you work for the CST? If not, I apologize for the below rant. Sincerely, I apologize.

So...the CST, in all their whoring around within the media circles in Wyoming, needs to drive more traffic to their poop website and error-filled rag, as clearly they are hurting. So, they dig up a dead horse, and start kicking it again? f-word that, f-word them, and f-word this. Absolutely ridiculous that this is brought up again, and great timing...kick the team when they are down - assholes. I suggest everyone here boycott the CST, and everything to do with it.

And while I am at it...shame on Burman for putting us (and keeping us) in the shadows of this poop.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

If Wyoming moves down, they might as well cancel the varsity football program. There's no such thing as "giving up a little bit." Either you're all in, or you may as well not try to compete.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
HowBoutDemCowboys wrote:Apprently there has been discussion about Wyoming dropping down a level in football.

Welcome to WyoNation! Interesting first post.

I am guessing you work for the CST? If not, I apologize for the below rant. Sincerely, I apologize.

So...the CST, in all their whoring around within the media circles in Wyoming, needs to drive more traffic to their poop website and error-filled rag, as clearly they are hurting. So, they dig up a dead horse, and start kicking it again? f-word that, f-word them, and f-word this. Absolutely ridiculous that this is brought up again, and great timing...kick the team when they are down - assholes. I suggest everyone here boycott the CST, and everything to do with it.

And while I am at it...shame on Burman for putting us (and keeping us) in the shadows of this poop.
I do everything I can to avoid the liberal CST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

From the article "at Rynearson Stadium was 4,897, the worst of all FBS teams and one of only two schools — Ball State being the other — to average fewer than 10,000. (Wyoming drew an average of 18,060.)"

I thought there was a attendance average that had to be maintained to be FBS, something over 15k, etc????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Dare to dream....
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I thought there was a attendance average that had to be maintained to be FBS, something over 15k, etc????

There used to be an attendance requirement 5-10 years ago requiring an average of 17,000 a year, I believe.

As for the yearly reclassification article from the CST, until Wyoming enjoys the successes of Boise St. and San Diego State (this year) these articles will continue to appear. I think part of it stems from the fact that there's a faction in Casper still ticked off the UW is located in Laramie and the Legislature won't fund the expansion of Casper College to university status.
Also, if you read the comments to the story one of the comments (who's self description sounds like one of the Gosars) claims that division I football is an escalating arms war. I agree with that rational. However, I disagree with the claim that it will result in many schools moving down in coming years. That I disagree with, especially since many schools are currently moving up either from division II to fcs or fcs to fbs. I can't believe that those schools are making those decisions blind.
What I think may happen is that the Power 5 will be upgraded to an fbs elite level with the group of 5 getting a designation a step below. Which is kind of what we currently have, but without the labels.
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

The ONLY reason to move down to FCS is if you can't find a conference home and are so geographically isolated that independence is not an option like Idaho. New Mexico St could be headed in the same direction in a few years. They are holding out hope that they will be able to find a home in the ripple effects of Big XII expansion when....I mean, If it ever happens. Wyoming does not find itself in that situation.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

The new CST beat writer seems like a young, annoying, lazy, little prick. Thanks for beating a dead and useless horse! Hope his bosses put him up to it and it's not really him. Anxiously awaiting him to leave this post. Didn't the previous writer write a whole damn series on this? Go work for Outside the line or some poop.

A simple economic review of the situation should settle it for everyone.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Not sure if you guys read his tweets, but the article seems like a positive in my eyes. He alludes to how EMU staying at D1 was a good thing and how dropping down would be bad. It won't silence those calling for us to drop down, but could at least point to a place of reference for reasons why we shouldn't move down? I agree though, this is a dead horse that doesn't deserve to be beaten again. Just looking at it from another side.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote:The new CST beat writer seems like a young, annoying, lazy, little prick. Thanks for beating a dead and useless horse! Hope his bosses put him up to it and it's not really him. Anxiously awaiting him to leave this post. Didn't the previous writer write a whole damn series on this? Go work for Outside the line or some poop.

A simple economic review of the situation should settle it for everyone.
His initial response it just that...to (prove the reasons why it isn't a viable option in upcoming writings). So the CST needs readers, and they elect to pull up this dead horse and kick it, after what was a very bad loss for the team. I guess we will see if the sumbitch writer really does switch gears and directions, and offers up the why's of it being a very bad idea. Don't hold your breathe Wyonation.

Oh, and I agree with the young, annoying, lazy, little prick description.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
hithere
Ranch Hand

wyocowboy2014 wrote:Not sure if you guys read his tweets, but the article seems like a positive in my eyes. He alludes to how EMU staying at D1 was a good thing and how dropping down would be bad. It won't silence those calling for us to drop down, but could at least point to a place of reference for reasons why we shouldn't move down? I agree though, this is a dead horse that doesn't deserve to be beaten again. Just looking at it from another side.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think Foster is that bad. And he makes the case that dropping wouldn't make sense in any way.

I'm glad people are so fired up about this subject even after years and years of terrible football. It shows that whenever some boob brings up dropping to FCS, the facts are that it just wouldn't fiscally make sense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

hithere wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:Not sure if you guys read his tweets, but the article seems like a positive in my eyes. He alludes to how EMU staying at D1 was a good thing and how dropping down would be bad. It won't silence those calling for us to drop down, but could at least point to a place of reference for reasons why we shouldn't move down? I agree though, this is a dead horse that doesn't deserve to be beaten again. Just looking at it from another side.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think Foster is that bad. And he makes the case that dropping wouldn't make sense in any way.

I'm glad people are so fired up about this subject even after years and years of terrible football. It shows that whenever some boob brings up dropping to FCS, the facts are that it just wouldn't fiscally make sense.
Bull. This topic should be TABOO. All this does is give the retards a platform and sews seeds of discontent. It's embarrassing.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

If nothing else, I would hope that the article might light a fire under Bohl and his coaches. If they don't produce...the drumbeat will only get louder. If we were winning and generating excitement and positive attention for UW, as opposed to fearing whether we will be highlighted in the Bottom 10, anyone bringing up a drop to FCS would be tarred and feathered. As it stands, the pro-drop crowd is actually making some of us nervous.

The one thing that I really hate about all of this is that I have every confidence that our opposition is mentioning Wyoming potential drop to FCS in their recruiting pitches...
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

This issue is one that the media uses to generate hits on their websites. You don't hear this coming from the fan base. You hear this coming from the Wyoming Tribune Eaglerang and now the CST. Usually the idea comes from an out of state writer/editor that knows more about Wyoming than people from Wyoming. First it was the editor of the Tribune Eagle. Now it's somebody at the CST. I'm guessing it's the new beat writer.

There's nothing to see here, but more nonsense from desperate newspapers that are trying to drive revenue by publishing controversial topics/ideas.

Howboutthemcowboys(1st post ever) is probably some employee of the CST(the author himself) or some douchebag flamer from some other fan base. I'm guessing CST employee since the article just came out yesterday.

Either way, it's not worth the wasted time to read.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.