2016 Mountain West Bowl Projections

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 32 times

Chad with a blog on bowl projections today:
http://www.wyonation.com/2016/10/2016-m ... ojections/
ImageImageImageImage
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Although it'd be great to be in any bowl, I really have no desire to go back to New Mexico for the 3rd time.

I really hope Boise gets to the Cotton Bowl, that way SDSU will (most likely) be selected for the Vegas Bowl. That leaves us with a pretty good chance of being selected for the bowl in San Diego against BYU. That game would be huge for our fan base for multiple reasons, and I'm sure a lot of older BYU fans would enjoy playing an old rival again.

I also wouldn't mind the Arizona bowl against Idaho. But only because my best friend is an Idaho grad and we can road trip together to support each other as our teams get back to a bowl game after a long hiatus.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

cali2wyo wrote:Although it'd be great to be in any bowl, I really have no desire to go back to New Mexico for the 3rd time.

I really hope Boise gets to the Cotton Bowl, that way SDSU will (most likely) be selected for the Vegas Bowl. That leaves us with a pretty good chance of being selected for the bowl in San Diego against BYU. That game would be huge for our fan base for multiple reasons, and I'm sure a lot of older BYU fans would enjoy playing an old rival again.

I also wouldn't mind the Arizona bowl against Idaho. But only because my best friend is an Idaho grad and we can road trip together to support each other as our teams get back to a bowl game after a long hiatus.
Is the Arizona bowl even televised?
ImageImageImageImage
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:Although it'd be great to be in any bowl, I really have no desire to go back to New Mexico for the 3rd time.

I don't think so, just streaming/Twitter. But let's not pretend that a televised game against Old Dominion in New Mexico would be significantly better than a matchup with Idaho down in Arizona
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Let's all play the games first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

cali2wyo wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

I don't think so, just streaming/Twitter. But let's not pretend that a televised game against Old Dominion in New Mexico would be significantly better than a matchup with Idaho down in Arizona
Well, there's the probability that the televised NM Bowl would pay significantly better, get viewers across a few time zones, and be a lot more accessible to folks who can't make the trip. Other than that, nothing "significantly" better...
:roll:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Gotta be honest- if we get invited to play BYU*, I won't even watch. In fact, I'd be lobbying for donors to buy the game out. I hate the thought of legitimizing anything BYU*. Let them wither and die in independence.

Playing a soon-to-be FCS program in an internet-streamed bowl game? No thanks. I'll take an up-and-coming FBS team from the South in a nationally televised bowl game every time.

As for the LV Bowl- if it came down to us or SDSU, with the possibility of SDSU staying home for a bowl game, there's a good chance we'd get the nod. Wyoming, historically, travels more fans to LV than the Aztecs. If the Aztecs were more interested in a San Diego-based bowl game, I could see the LV Bowl being ours...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

laxwyo wrote:Let's all play the games first

Definitely. Nevada's having a down year, and despite that, I'm worried about them being hyper-motivated to give us payback from last year when we shouldn't have had a chance. This game should be won by Wyoming, but if we don't come out 100% ready, it could still get ugly.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Well, there's the probability that the televised NM Bowl would pay significantly better, get viewers across a few time zones, and be a lot more accessible to folks who can't make the trip. Other than that, nothing "significantly" better...
All net revenue from the bowls is shared equally in the conference and the payouts for either bowl look to be under $500k, so I don't think any bowl besides Vegas or Cotton Bowl will pay "significantly" better. The New Mexico bowl is on ESPN but will overlap with 3 other bowls. If the Arizona bowl is on Twitter, I'd assume many more fans will check in to see that game. Arizona Bowl is accessible to everyone with an Internet connection, so fans who can't make the trip can still easily watch. The team would also get an extra 2 weeks of practice with the Arizona Bowl, which could really set us up well for next year.
After Vegas, all the remaining MWC bowls are on the same tier, IMO.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Let's all play the games first

Definitely. Nevada's having a down year, and despite that, I'm worried about them being hyper-motivated to give us payback from last year when we shouldn't have had a chance. This game should be won by Wyoming, but if we don't come out 100% ready, it could still get ugly.
Yeah all of this. I LOVE that this is thread and that long term football sufferers can now get excited. If there ever was a 1 game at a time team it is forever Wyoming football. Biggest bummer is the Granderson injury. I feel like with him I'd be a lot more confident going forward. Still they could be just fine, especially if the O really starts to get going. They have more hiccups then they need to and I'm really looking forward to a big breakout-moment game for them posting TD's all day. Let's hope it's Nevada!!!! Now imagine if the Pokes put up 45+ on Nevada with a strong/respectable D showing. All of sudden a win against Boise doesn't seem like it's in Never Never land. Beat Boise your talking about a top 50 program, conference title, and top MWC bowl honors :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Riding High!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

cali2wyo wrote:All net revenue from the bowls is shared equally in the conference and the payouts for either bowl look to be under $500k, so I don't think any bowl besides Vegas or Cotton Bowl will pay "significantly" better. The New Mexico bowl is on ESPN but will overlap with 3 other bowls. If the Arizona bowl is on Twitter, I'd assume many more fans will check in to see that game. Arizona Bowl is accessible to everyone with an Internet connection, so fans who can't make the trip can still easily watch. The team would also get an extra 2 weeks of practice with the Arizona Bowl, which could really set us up well for next year.
A bowl game on Twitter/stream is easy for people like us. Not your dads and grandpas who have no idea what the Twitters are and emails you in all caps.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

All net revenue from the bowls is shared equally in the conference and the payouts for either bowl look to be under $500k, so I don't think any bowl besides Vegas or Cotton Bowl will pay "significantly" better. The New Mexico bowl is on ESPN but will overlap with 3 other bowls. If the Arizona bowl is on Twitter, I'd assume many more fans will check in to see that game. Arizona Bowl is accessible to everyone with an Internet connection, so fans who can't make the trip can still easily watch. The team would also get an extra 2 weeks of practice with the Arizona Bowl, which could really set us up well for next year.
Sorry, but internet-only games get vastly fewer viewers than the televised games. Don't know if you're familiar with Wyoming's demographics (aged population skews high) or the unreliable internet service throughout much of the state. Even if the payout is close, a televised NM Bowl game against an up-and-comer from the East Coast/ South vs. a streamed AZ Bowl against a down-and-outer 2nd tier school from Idaho is easily the better choice.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Sorry, but internet-only games get vastly fewer viewers than the televised games. Don't know if you're familiar with Wyoming's demographics (aged population skews high) or the unreliable internet service throughout much of the state. Even if the payout is close, a televised NM Bowl game against an up-and-comer from the East Coast/ South vs. a streamed AZ Bowl against a down-and-outer 2nd tier school from Idaho is easily the better choice.
Agree to disagree. Neither bowl would be the best thing to ever happen to our program, and when you're the 3rd or 4th choice in a lousy conference a perfect bowl is a long shot. The advantages of one bowl over the other are hard to argue since both bowls are so small. If you look back at my original post, I mentioned the Arizona bowl because of how great it could be for a friend and I to have a road trip for reasons that seemed impossible to the both of us at the start of the year. We already had the NM bowl with an "up-and-coming" Temple, I didn't have enough fun to want to travel to Albuquerque again for a similar matchup--but I would do it to still support this team. I'm sure you'll travel to any bowl we go to as well (even BYU)
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Any bowl game will do. I liked the NM Bowl when it was the first bowl game of the bowl season, as I feel it can give more exposure as the only game in town. On bowl games played later, would we get more practices for this young team?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

cowboyz wrote: On bowl games played later, would we get more practices for this young team?
Yes. There's no limit on the number of practices you can have leading up to a bowl game. The 20-hour per week limit still applies though, even if its winter break.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Agree to disagree. Neither bowl would be the best thing to ever happen to our program, and when you're the 3rd or 4th choice in a lousy conference a perfect bowl is a long shot. The advantages of one bowl over the other are hard to argue since both bowls are so small. If you look back at my original post, I mentioned the Arizona bowl because of how great it could be for a friend and I to have a road trip for reasons that seemed impossible to the both of us at the start of the year. We already had the NM bowl with an "up-and-coming" Temple, I didn't have enough fun to want to travel to Albuquerque again for a similar matchup--but I would do it to still support this team. I'm sure you'll travel to any bowl we go to as well (even BYU)
I will attend a BYU* game in the reign of Queen Dick.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

The BYU matchup is a no win for us. They are not affiliated with a conference. They were assigned this bowl well in advance. BYU would be heavy favorites, and I couldn't handle it at church. I couldn't say no enough to this possible game. I would rather play UCLA or Stanford in Vegas. Let SDSU play BYU in SD.

No, no, no and no.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

djm19 wrote:The BYU matchup is a no win for us. They are not affiliated with a conference. They were assigned this bowl well in advance. BYU would be heavy favorites, and I couldn't handle it at church. I couldn't say no enough to this possible game. I would rather play UCLA or Stanford in Vegas. Let SDSU play BYU in SD.

No, no, no and no.
Maybe you should leave UT?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Occasionally some leftover bowl-eligible Pac-12 team has played in New Mexico. That's what I'm hoping for. Wyoming vs. a barely eligible Arizona team in Albuquerque, or something like that. That said, brace for Wyoming vs. some MAC school in Boise.

...but let's be real, it's pretty cool that a bowl is even likely. No matter where and who Wyo plays, it should be celebrated.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

LanderPoke wrote:
djm19 wrote:The BYU matchup is a no win for us. They are not affiliated with a conference. They were assigned this bowl well in advance. BYU would be heavy favorites, and I couldn't handle it at church. I couldn't say no enough to this possible game. I would rather play UCLA or Stanford in Vegas. Let SDSU play BYU in SD.

No, no, no and no.
Maybe you should leave UT?

Show me the money! Great job. Great house. Great neighborhood. I am stuck. :)
Last edited by djm19 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.