I guess winning can't fix stupid

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

We always thought that once our football team begins winning that those who oppose UW athletics would shut up. I guess not...
http://www.laramieboomerang.com/opinion ... 12486.html

Some people just don't get it. I don't have the data, but I assume the highest paid state employee in every state that has an FBS team is the head football coach.

Also, a pretty solid argument could be made that Bohl is underpaid. An even stronger argument could be made that Mead is overpaid.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Well, at least he's well informed.
ImageImageImageImage
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

They're almost all football or basketball coaches

http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... h-state/2/

This is older but easier to see without having to go through a slideshow

http://deadspin.com/infographic-is-your ... -489635228
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

There's some good responses in the comments. Guys like these are in the minority.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but most if not all of the bowls provide players with some pretty good swag. If /when Wyoming goes to a bowl this year, I invite the boomerang/WTE to detail the "gifts" the players receive. It usually totals in the hundreds for each player. That'll really get the anti-athletic crowd going.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

Found a site, I don't know how good the numbers are, but it was one that had numbers for all the athletic sports. Supposedly the numbers are from the Office of Postsecondary Education, but CSU has some funky stuff going on as all their sports are somehow at $0 profits.

pointafter

For Wyoming, the only profitable sports are Football, and Men's Basketball. Football has Revenue of 11.01 million, expenses of 8.05 million for profit of 2.95 million. Men's Basketball has revenue of 3.59 million and expenses of 3.12 million for profit of 0.47 million. This should not, and I doubt it comes as a surprise those that post here.

The biggest welfare sports by profit Soccer (-0.59 million) Volleyball (-0.51 million) and swimming and diving (-0.47 million).

I do not advocate cutting the non-profitable sports, but if people want to complain about sports being a financial drag on the university look at the other sports not football.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
dakarpoke
Buckaroo

Expat_Poke wrote: The biggest welfare sports by profit Soccer (-0.59 million) Volleyball (-0.51 million) and swimming and diving (-0.47 million).

I do not advocate cutting the non-profitable sports, but if people want to complain about sports being a financial drag on the university look at the other sports not football.

Thats just it, they can't look at any other sports. You have to have a certain number of sports period, and you have to have womens sports. If you have Football, you basically have to have all the rest too.
But since none of the others really are able to make any money, you better make it in football.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

In a vacuum... Are football and basketball coaches overpaid based on contributions to society.. of course! Obviously if a great surgeon who saves lives daily makes 250K a year and a football or basketball coach makes 7M the coach is the overpaid one. But when you factor in that Alabama football makes 80M a year (just picked a number) I would say Saban is maybe the most underpaid coach in all of football even if he's the highest paid. College sports has become a business because of massive amounts of tv revenue... and it is what it is, we're not in a vacuum. Our moral stance wouldn't change that. Sorry idealists. Priorities off? Kind of, but that is an oversimplification as well.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Expat_Poke wrote: The biggest welfare sports by profit Soccer (-0.59 million) Volleyball (-0.51 million) and swimming and diving (-0.47 million).
This is a bit surprising to me. I figured that Volleyball would be the top Olympic sport (maybe even above wrestling) with the revenue received from season tickets and other ticket revenue. They might have larger coaching staffs though which could drive expenses up. I also thought swimming would be a bigger negative, pools aren't cheap.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

cali2wyo wrote:
This is a bit surprising to me. I figured that Volleyball would be the top Olympic sport (maybe even above wrestling) with the revenue received from season tickets and other ticket revenue. They might have larger coaching staffs though which could drive expenses up. I also thought swimming would be a bigger negative, pools aren't cheap.
Yeah not sure why the volleyball expenses (1.04 million) are so high in comparison to wrestling (0.71 million). Though keep in mind the numbers may be bad.
dakarpoke wrote:Thats just it, they can't look at any other sports. You have to have a certain number of sports period, and you have to have womens sports. If you have Football, you basically have to have all the rest too.
But since none of the others really are able to make any money, you better make it in football.
Yep, but then the problem isn't football it is the mandates (whether from the NCAA or US Gov't) to have all the other sports. As I don't want to cut the other programs, I agree you better make as much as you can in Football. You won't do that if you don't pay your coaches. Especially your head coach, your OC, and your DC.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Expat_Poke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Yeah not sure why the volleyball expenses (1.04 million) are so high in comparison to wrestling (0.71 million). Though keep in mind the numbers may be bad.
dakarpoke wrote:Thats just it, they can't look at any other sports. You have to have a certain number of sports period, and you have to have womens sports. If you have Football, you basically have to have all the rest too.
Yep, but then the problem isn't football it is the mandates (whether from the NCAA or US Gov't) to have all the other sports. As I don't want to cut the other programs, I agree you better make as much as you can in Football. You won't do that if you don't pay your coaches. Especially your head coach, your OC, and your DC.
Only reason I can think of why volleyball expenses are so much higher is that I assume all VB players are on full scholarship vs wrestling where not all are on full scholarships. So more scholarships for VB.

Also, VB has more games and therefore a lot more travel expenses.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:
Expat_Poke wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:
Only reason I can think of why volleyball expenses are so much higher is that I assume all VB players are on full scholarship vs wrestling where not all are on full scholarships. So more scholarships for VB.

Also, VB has more games and therefore a lot more travel expenses.
Yeah I think between more coaches, more travel dates 13 vs 10, more schollies, add them all up and you start getting more expenses.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

This isn't just a Wyoming problem....

IOWA
I simply cannot understand with the economy so messed up how the state of Iowa can pay Kirk Ferentz, football coach at the University of Iowa, $3.8 million a year.

High unemployment, cost of food, gas for cars, utility bills, doctor visits for sick kids — how can that ridiculous salary be paid to anyone for coaching a football team?

Our governor, Terry Branstad, gets paid $130,000. I really think someone running a state should be worth more than a state school football coach. Branstad’s salary is in line, and Ferentz’s salary should be even less than Branstad’s.

http://globegazette.com/news/opinion/le ... 03286.html

NEVADA
It may be that I am alone in my outrage over the handling of the UNR coaching flap. It seems the previous coach couldn’t motivate the team to perform beyond their inherent skill level, so he was fired with two years left on his contract, worth 600K. This amount was paid as a condition of his leaving.

Now UNR has hired a highly qualified coach for half a million a year to whip the squad into shape.

With all the hand-wringing these last years about the sad state of Nevada education and lack of monies to improve same, how can this wanton spending be justified? To call this spending like a drunken sailor is to give drunken sailors a bad name. Meanwhile the yearly costs for mere academic students continue to rise.

http://www.rgj.com/story/opinion/reader ... /70846498/

SOUTH CAROLINA
The newspaper recently listed the multi-million-dollar annual salaries for college coaches in the United States.

When compared with the annual incomes of police officers, firefighters, EMTs and so many other occupations, the coaches’ incomes seem obscene. This points to the skewed values of our society.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/o ... /74005840/

TOLEDO
In regard to the Sept. 20 letter, “University leaders not paid enough,” I believe a university president should be paid more than its football coach.

The definition of a university is an “institution of higher education.”

Nowhere is it mentioned in dictionaries that its objective is to promote quasi-professional sports.

The president of UT merits a substantial salary as the leader of this prestigious school. I seriously question the need for the football coach to have such an inflated salary.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Letters-to-t ... rpaid.html

SYRACUSE
I was sickened when I read the salaries awarded to Jim Boeheim and several other of Syracuse University's coaches and athletic director.

Has the university, and the coaches, themselves, forgotten that the purposes of a university are to provide students with opportunities to learn in preparation for future careers, and for the faculty to do world-class research?

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/index.s ... tters.html

Those were all from just Page 1 of a simple Google search for "coaches salaries letter to editor." I'm sure there are more, but there are better things to focus my attention on than this drivel.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand

joshvanklomp wrote:This isn't just a Wyoming problem....

:shock: Make it stop, make it stop, please... the lack of knowledge and complete and total ignorance about the market place is killing me here.

Seriously thanks for doing that amount of digging.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I mean, I agree that there are a lot of professions that are incredibly undervalued in this country (and many others as well), but why target somebody who actually brings in a PROFIT after salary is paid?

I'd understand it a lot more if we spent $4 Million on our coach and the football program was losing $1 Million annually.

While it'd be a mistake to base everything on simple profitability (it's obviously never going to be easy to see just how much public schools are worth), if there's a significantly positive flow of money, why bitch about it?
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

While it'd be a mistake to base everything on simple profitability (it's obviously never going to be easy to see just how much public schools are worth)
Yep. And it's impossible to figure out profit from football at colleges, as those numbers are never disclosed...if they are even compiled. Cash flow is about all we ever hear, which is fine.